Jupiter

How many hair dryers would it take to blow away Jupiter?

Other urls found in this thread:

elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/The_Four_Suitors_of_Benitah
youtube.com/watch?v=lDxOhfiFsuc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

one, but it would take a really long time

How long would you say?

Can't blow vacuum around so none

If you put a vacuum in the vacuum of space, how long would it take to suck Jupiter in and to throw it in the trash?

>How many hair dryers would it take

Depends on the brand, some blow stronger than others.

really long

How would you power the hair dryers? Solar panels?

Fuck off Google interviewer

Between 0 and all of it

The only info for the amount of mass a hairdryer can move I could find was some twat on stack exchange doing a physics project which turns out to be 1 kilogram. The mass of Jupiter is 1.898 × 10^27 kg, so you'll need 1.898 × 10^27 hairdryers to move it.

Update, that would require 3.796e+30 watts to power all of them. The sun only emits 3.86 x 1026 watts per second from what I found.

Edit: 10^26

none, Jupiter is bald

Someone send this thread to xkcd

No amount would be enough. A hair-dryer's airflow doesn't even come remotely close to the required escape velocity of Jupiter.

Even if you could accelerate every single of Jupiter's molecules to the max airflow speed a hair-dryer produces, in opposite directions so as to potentially dissipate the planet, it would do absolutely nothing. Gravity would bring everything back together, maybe producing a bit of extra heat in the process.

But with 16 million hairdryers tho

doesn't work at night.

If each hairdryer deposits 100% of its operating power into Jupiter, and neglecting energy loss via radiation from Jupiter (which would be significant), then 1.3x10^34 average hairdryers set to 'hot' would introduce enough energy to overcome Jupiter's total gravitational binding energy in one second, which would cause it to blow apart.

If you wanted to slow-cook Jupiter you'd need to calculate black-body heat loss, which scales with the temperature in a non-trivial fashion because the increased temperature would cause it to expand, increasing the surface area and hence radiation loss in a negative feedback loop. There would therefore be some minimum number of hair dryers necessary to overcome the loss rate at the very final moment before Jupiter drifts irrevocably apart, or else it would remain as an incredibly hot but ultimately stable 'planetary cloud'.

Let's be extremely generous and say each hairdryer weighs 0.1 kg. Those alone would raise Jupiter's mass by a factor of 700000, making it 10000 times more massive that the Sun! Believe you me, nothing would escape...

Could a single hairdryer even ever overcome its own gravitational energy if it somehow blew at itself? Assuming 100% of its energy is somehow put to work to blow itself away, would that even suffice? Im guessing the answer is a strong no which direcly implies a strong "cant be done" for the jupiter question

I'm assuming, as any true physicist would, that the hairdryers are massless point particles

Under those assumptions I can prove beyond doubt that you dont exist

that's the reason we used hairdryers to fly to the moon

then who was type

Im too lazy to research for this but if we assume a single hairdryer being blown at by another, massless hairdryer in empty space, im pretty sure that it would never get blown away, not even close. given that the amount of hairdryers rises proportionally to the amount of power one has to conclude that a fuckton of hairdryers couldnt blow itself away, rendering the question pointless

I am a Master of Physics

"fly to the moon"

you dont have mass, hence no energy, so you are not a particle and dont exist and the sentence is nothing but clever distraction

I've always find the concept of a gas giant a bit rediculous. The words imply a totally gaseous big planet and that's just bananas. I'm sure most of you agree.

>watts per second

Whats per second

What elder scrolls book is this?

elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/The_Four_Suitors_of_Benitah

I'm an utter fucking noob with electrical stuff, spare me pls.

Fuck off, brainlet.

I'm both impressed and mildly disappointed by the fact that no one has brought up the fact that hair dryers need an air input. They don't just "convert power to air." They need ambient air to be sucked in, compressed, and fired off.
Then again, this is the thread where someone measured the sun's energy in "watts per second."

I’m on to you Dark Helmet

>Being this dumb

We make hair dryers that blow their own air and measure it in airs per second.

He's not wrong.

Watts per second is equivalent to J/s^2.

A watt-second is a Joule.

What would be a more appropriate measure in this case and how would you go about getting the variables?

J/s^2 is nothing

energy/time (J/s = W) is what you're trying to say
analogous to how much water flows each second in a river

J/s^2 looks to my like a change in the Rate of Energy over time

just what was he trying to say

Yeah, that's per second per second. Meaning it increases by that amount every second if I'm not mistaken.

I unironically heard a guy talking about "just now understanding that" after about 3 years of studying

probably more than 2 millions for sure

Has he never asked questions in a physics class?

-1/12

I THINK FINLAND SPACE BEST SPACE FOR IT IS FREE PERSON SPACE OF GLORY

this thread needs a new retarded question

How many ice cubes would it take to cool off the sun?

would an ice sphere the size of the sun cool off the sun if they collided?

here we go lads
were talking 3cm x 3cm x 3cm ice cubes with a temperature of maybe -18*C (using my freezers default)

Im pretty sure if you wanted to cool the sun down to that same temperature you would throw so much mass at it that it propably just kinda collapses into a black hole

depends on the speed of the collision, the most sensible guess is that everything explodes

Honestly that'd probably cause some horrifying reaction. Very hot things don't tend to like coming into contact with ice.
youtube.com/watch?v=lDxOhfiFsuc

ur mom could do it in a minute

The best answer would be to have a self-driven freezer make the voyage at 2 mph. As long as they go to make the collision from above the sun, that way if the freezer melts the ice will still fall down on it.

So, however many freezers Samsung can make would work. Like 10,000. Sun can't be THAT hot.

Given that the ice cubes are H2O and the Suns Energy is more than enough to break those bonds youd have some amazing fireworks wouldnt you?

what an answer

No, since potential energy of two stars that are falling onto each other is enormous and will release an incredible amount of heat upon collision.

How many hair dryers would it take to heat a sun made of ice until it turns into a sun made of lava?

>millions of hair dryers aligned
>slowly the ice sun melts into a water sun
>water evaporates
>sun gone

[eqn]
m = 1.89813 \times 10^{27} kg\\
r = 778,500,000 km\\
t = 11.86 y\\
\\
\omega = \frac{2\pi rad}{11.86 y} = 1.6799 \times 10^{-8} rad/s\\
V = \omega r = 13,078 m/s\\
F = \frac{mV^2}{r}=4.17 \times 10^{23} N\\
\dot{W}_{hairdryer} = 100 W\\
[/eqn]

Thus, you would need no less than [math]4.17 \times 10^{21}[/math] hair dryers.

itd be propably more efficient to just get a fuckton of hairdryers together and let that shit crash into the planet than actually trying to shoot particles at it

I mean we are talking about roughly 4.17 x 10^20 kg of mass here, assuming each one is 0.1kg as before

>"mildly disappointed"
I just assumed the hair dryer was some ways inside the atmosphere of Jupiter pointing outwards from the planet. As far as powering it, I just assumed they had a really long extension cord back to earth. When all the atmosphere (and water) is gone there would be a rocky nugget left called "Gonadus".

That's a trick question. The real question is can you completely poison the nuclear fusion of the sun with a mixture of 33% Oxygen and 66% Hydrogen (molar). I'm going to guess no amount could do this, because the Oxygen will form a central pit (shell) and the added Hydrogen will continuously burn around that.

rly interesting on the sun question

but if we work with ur assumptions the jupiter question has become much, much more interesting. you assume the gas gets blown away from jupiter, but the gravity should pull it back unless the hairdryer we are talking about is designed to completely blow your face off. if we fix the hairdryers in jupiters atmosphere so the planet gets a constant acceleration towards one direction relative to the sun, it should work essentially like a thruster and should technically push jupiter out of the system with no matter how many hairdryers you have given enough time and the assumption that jupiter is not being accelerated in other ways

thats because you're only familiar with a few kinds of gasses. and by familiar i mean actually familiar. youve heard of plenty of other gasses but youve only experienced a few here on earth

if only you could go to jupiter and understand

Lets assume that somehow, ALL of the hairdryers energy would be translated into thrust on the actual planet, and nothing is lost due to friction and turbulances

I will use the numbers from Jupiter has m,j = 1.89813*10^27 kg

Its distance from the sun is (circular orbit with average distance):
D = Radius Jupiter + Average Distance + Radius Sun
D = 69.911 km + 778.500.000km + 696.342 km
D = 779.266.253 km (= r) = 779.266.253.000 m

In order to escape the Sun, if accelerated exactly "away" from the sun, jupiter needs to overcome the gravitational pull/energy.

Sun has m,s = 1.98855*10^30 kg

As we know: F = m,j *m,s * g * 1/(r^2) for the gravitational Force on Jupiter. In order to move Jupiter out of orbit, we need to overcome all the gravitational forces "to infinity". To move Jupiter a small distance dr, you get the Work required to do so by dW = F * dr
We integrate both sides:
∫ dW = ∫ F dr
W = ∫ F dr
W = ∫ m,j * m,s * g * 1/(r^2) dr

We wanna know the work we need to do from Jupiters orbit to infinity, so we set the lower bound to r.

W = r->inf ∫ m,j * m,s * g * 1/(r^2) dr
W = [ 0 ] - [ m,j * m,s * g * -1 * 1/(r) ]
W = m,j * m,s * g * -1 * 1/(r)
W = 323268063686456084734366137115397450.68364971272533728150615252221 J

Thats the amount of energy the hairdryer needs to provide. According to some weird google pic a hairdryer outputs roughly 70% of its input energy as kinetic energy. According to wikipedia the average Hairdryer today can use up to 2000 watts.
2000 * 7/10 = 1400 W as kinetic energy = 1400 J/s.

Divide the amount of Joules we need by the Joules we output per second to get the time:
W / 1400 J/s = 230905759776040060524547240796712.46 s
or about 7.321.973.610.351.346.414.400.914.53 yrs = 7.321 * 10^24 years
That is a solid 15 magnitudes larger than the current age of the universe which is 13.799*10^9 years

It is possible, but apparently by the time it happens Solar Systems wont exist anymore anyways ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Well you would be adding hydrogen, aka fuel, and mass, to the sun. And significant amounts if you actually wanted to change the sun at all. At first, this would heat up the sun instead of cool it off. Depending on how much you add, it may expand (more energy density than gravity can contain so it grows until slightly larger and in equilibrium). Or it may shrink (too much mass but not enough reaction so gravity compresses the star). Either way, this would speed up the rate the sun burns through it's fuel, causing it to age faster which would lead it to cooling off to a temperature lower than you started slightly sooner than it would have on its own.

How many ice cubes? Well you could probably just continuously add ice cubes until it turns red dwarf, at as high a rate you can find ice and transport it to the sun

>tfw millions of years in the future after humanity becomes a Class IV civilization space hicks will affix quadrillions of hairdryers to a giant board and haul it out to some gas giant with their pickup ship and blow it away so they can post it all on SpaceTube.

I appreciate the effort and fortune that goes along with having this particular excerpt on hand for this particular scenario.

Can we calculate how big of butt is needed to fart of Jupiter?

fart out of orbit or completely obliterate?

Fart out enough gas to make a Jupiter

Human farts? Cow farts? Which are we picking?

Average female human fart

One hairdryer, that would instantly collapse and form a supernova, thus blowing it away

:(