Anyone use one of these or something similar for math/physics notes? If so...

Anyone use one of these or something similar for math/physics notes? If so, how do you like it over regular paper/pencil? I’m thinking of getting one, seems extremely convenient.

Other urls found in this thread:

scientificamerican.com/article/a-learning-secret-don-t-take-notes-with-a-laptop/
psmag.com/social-justice/laptops-bad-learning-80160
panopto.com/blog/put-down-that-notebook-new-studies-find-taking-notes-is-bad-for-your-memory/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Its exactly the opposite of convenient, but I wouldn't part with it.

Apple products only work for taking class notes in music and gender studies; find a real tablet.

I used mine for taking notes in physics and chemistry. Fantastic for quickly switching colors, highlighting things, and even taking notes on pdfs and sorting them. Personally, I recommend the pro with the pencil, because the standard iPad wouldn't let you do that, but I wouldn't say it's necessary to have one to succeed.

what the fuck

What's the problem? OP is asking about using a tablet and some kind of stylus for taking notes. Is this such a bizarre concept in the digital age? Doesn't even have to be an iPad, but the iPad just happens to be the only dedicated tablet with an active stylus worth a fuck under 700.

You can also use a Surface Pro, you'd get the same kind of performance (iPad Pro is barely better in terms of stylus responsiveness), and the Surface would also give you a complete computer to work with. The downside is that they are vastly more expensive, and I would only recommend an iPad Pro if you have some sort of main computer to do your work on. My use of my iPad for school largely stops when a tablet no longer benefits me. I still type my papers and do my research on my desktop or the university computers.

Forgot to mention, you might also look at Samsung's Tab S3. Has expandable storage, too. iPad Pro will absolutely be a faster and more powerful device especially for multitasking, but if you just want to handwrite notes, the S3 would be a cheaper option. Comes with the S-Pen, and sometimes you can even buy it bundled with the keyboard case for 100 dollars off MSRP.

Yep, look up Notability videos on youtube. Great app for notetaking and you can even record voice notes as you write/draw

Highly recommend ipad pro with apple pencil. Easily the best stylus experience

I was once thinking of getting a Lenovo yoga pad

scientificamerican.com/article/a-learning-secret-don-t-take-notes-with-a-laptop/
psmag.com/social-justice/laptops-bad-learning-80160
It has extensively been proven that the mechanical act of taking notes helps you learn things better.

There's this study that challenges that notion though: panopto.com/blog/put-down-that-notebook-new-studies-find-taking-notes-is-bad-for-your-memory/
However, I don't think it means that taking notes is thoroughly bad for learning, I think it has to do with how you do it. Focusing more on taking notes instead of learning the subject is obviously harmful, but writing things down and focusing on the content aren't mutually exclusive. You can spend most of the time trying to make sense of what is being taught and taking notes of the most important bits only and actually learn the subject.
I know you can write on your tablet like it is a notebook, but I don't think it's a very efficent thing to do, given that your handwriting will be a lot worse than if you write it on paper. You might struggle with understanding what you have written. No point in making your own notes being a barrier in your learning.

The point of him buying a tablet is so that he can use a stylus to mechanically take notes.

>I know you can write on your tablet like it is a notebook, but I don't think it's a very efficent thing to do, given that your handwriting will be a lot worse than if you write it on paper. You might struggle with understanding what you have written. No point in making your own notes being a barrier in your learning.

>I don't think it's a very efficent thing to do

>has never done it
>claims it's inefficient
protip, the pro pencil is great

The iPad Pro and Surface Pro have gyroscopes and pressure sensors, and can even mimick pencils. Have you even used one, or are you just making assumptions.

are mods blind?

what would be even better than emulating a pen and paper like that?

maybe just using a pen and paper?

except you can erase without making a mess, use colors, highlight, tag your notes, access them anywhere, copypaste pictures from the internet, etc etc
try that with pen and paper

I can’t lose my notes when I back them up to the cloud. I can also record lectures and it will play back my notes as I took them with time stamps when the professor was speaking. Do that with a pen and paper.

I legit just bought the new one and hope to use it for about 6 years through my PhD at least. Should I use OneNote or should I fall for the Noteability trap?

OneNote is shit for annotating PowerPoint slides or PDFs in a neat way. Notability is definitely the way to go.

Use pen and pencil like a man.

not an argument