Why did Nietzsche dislike stoicism?

Why did Nietzsche dislike stoicism?

Because he was intelligent.

It represented the most convincing argument against his life-affirming philosophy, so he confronted it directly. He wanted to try his ideas by fire, and so he pitted them against the most admirable opponents he could find. The same applies to Schopenhauer and, by extension, the Buddhists.

did nietzche only wrote about being cool dude or was one also? did he practice what he preach?

cuck ideology. He wanted people to fight back against women and minorities through redpilled activism and struggle instead of acquiescing to SJW cultural marxism and degeneracy from bluepilled sheep

simmer down user, no need to bring up problems that didn't even exist during his lifetime

Stoics want to "live according to Nature". But Nature is just meaningless "stuff" that sits there and changes endlessly. Living is precisely the opposite of just sitting there. And if you try to assign some order or morality to Nature, then you're just tricking yourself into believing what you want to believe using Nature as your reason, instead of God (or your own "I will!").

where does he say he dislikes it

Where does Buddhism come in on all of this?

>You desire to LIVE "according to Nature"? Oh, you noble Stoics, what fraud of words! Imagine to yourselves a being like Nature, boundlessly extravagant, boundlessly indifferent, without purpose or consideration, without pity or justice, at once fruitful and barren and uncertain: imagine to yourselves INDIFFERENCE as a power--how COULD you live in accordance with such indifference? To live--is not that just endeavoring to be otherwise than this Nature? Is not living valuing, preferring, being unjust, being limited, endeavouring to be different? And granted that your imperative, "living according to Nature," means actually the same as "living according to life"--how could you do DIFFERENTLY? Why should you make a principle out of what you yourselves are, and must be? In reality, however, it is quite otherwise with you: while you pretend to read with rapture the canon of your law in Nature, you want something quite the contrary, you extraordinary stage-players and self-deluders! In your pride you wish to dictate your morals and ideals to Nature, to Nature herself, and to incorporate them therein; you insist that it shall be Nature "according to the Stoa," and would like everything to be made after your own image, as a vast, eternal glorification and generalism of Stoicism! With all your love for truth, you have forced yourselves so long, so persistently, and with such hypnotic rigidity to see Nature FALSELY, that is to say, Stoically, that you are no longer able to see it otherwise-- and to crown all, some unfathomable superciliousness gives you the Bedlamite hope that BECAUSE you are able to tyrannize over yourselves--Stoicism is self-tyranny--Nature will also allow herself to be tyrannized over: is not the Stoic a PART of Nature? . . . But this is an old and everlasting story: what happened in old times with the Stoics still happens today, as soon as ever a philosophy begins to believe in itself. It always creates the world in its own image; it cannot do otherwise; philosophy is this tyrannical impulse itself, the most spiritual Will to Power, the will to "creation of the world," the will to the causa prima.

BTFO

Nietzsche WAS stoic

Is that why he strongly advocated against the suppression of one's own will and went insane from the rejection of a woman?

This, he also rejected the idea that you had full control of your own mind and could. I think he called stoicism "self tyranny"

>hundreds of years of stoicism
>blown the fuck out in one casual paragraph

Nietzsche's intellect is unreal

>But this is an old and everlasting story: what happened in old times with the Stoics still happens today, as soon as ever a philosophy begins to believe in itself. It always creates the world in its own image; it cannot do otherwise; philosophy is this tyrannical impulse itself, the most spiritual Will to Power, the will to "creation of the world," the will to the causa prima.

The "causa prima" is God. What makes it so spiritual, that we must debase this will in order to supplant ours? The power of philosophy is "I will", hence it supplants our will and leaves its own. All must seem objective in the highest degree, or else it's wrong plain and simple. That's all I can think of. Thanks for reading.

You can't become greater than anything if you just claim you are one with everything (I don't know what or where his critiques of Buddhism actually are)

see
Nietzsche never looks back

Absolutely blown the fuck out

So Nietzsche misunderstood Epictetus' definition of nature? How did he BTFO stoicism exactly?

>misunderstood

How?

Because Stirner did it first and Nietzsche is a hack who did nothing but rip off Stirner.

>I'm going make all these fucking stoics pay

>tfw stoic
>was going to argue this but then what would be the point compared to the grand scheme of things?
>better to drink my tea and enjoy my time than waste it on a fruitless endeavour.

Have fun with this thread anons.

does being a passive aggressive knobcheese go against being stoic?

cuz his philosophy is basically life affirming passion driving way of living unlike stoic's renouncing one's desires to accommodate for reality's.

lovin the passive aggressive posts

Doesn't it tire you to constantly post this "ironic" stormshit all over the board

Why can't people accept that Nietzsche basically just got off on being an iconoclast?
Its really not an uncommon personality type and Nietzsche simply had enough intelligence to channel it into something more meaningful
But the point is Nietzsche's "dislike" of anything was not a learned behavior coming forth nor a premeditated one
It was his instinctual default state

because he was a fuckign emo fgt

>Socrates used to question thus. "What do you want to have? the souls of rational or irrational beings?" "Rational." "what sort of rational beings? The pure or the lower?" "The pure" "Why then don't you aim for that?" "Because we have it." "Why then your fighting and disagreements?"

btfo returned thusly

he disliked the hysteric appolonian pov of the west, (always remember to look on schopenhauer, who was a first at integrating eastern ideas anew) preffered a meditative stance, the uberman. start simpler, you're seeing problems where there 're noen.

>hysteric
>appolonian
>meditative ubermensch

which dumb maenads cunt were u squelched out from today lad

Yeah, no.

The West has abandoned both Apollonian and Dioneysian forces.

well he was physically very weak (due to life-long sicknesses) and ended up kinda isolated from other people due to his odd ideas and provocative outbursts

you can make out of his life what you want, some people view him as really strong for being sick irl yet thinking like that, some people view him as a power-fantasizing weakling nerd, whatever

>Be extremly sick
>Decide to not let it get to you
>WAAAH YOU POWER FETISHIT WEAKLING!
What you would have rather he had given up and done nothing with his life, because those really are the only two options. Btw Stephen Hawking is a power-fantasizing weakling nerd

I'm more on the camp who respects him - on a personal level - precisely because he developed a philosophy like that even though his life was like what it was.

Because the correct response to someone breaking your legs is eating their kneecaps and face, not silence.

The classical stoic definition of nature is basically god.

Because he was a hipster faggot like everyone on this board and was contrarian by nature.

Marxists btfo desu

(he didn't)

but sweety, god is dead

>and ended up kinda isolated from other people due to his odd ideas and provocative outbursts
That's the story of my life, even though I consider myself as a fairly reasonable person.

It's the world that is unreasonable, they're all insane and we're the only lucid men left

Unfortunately it is. Then the whole nature vs nurture debate pops into my head, thinking if people are stupid by choice because of supposed "comfort" or are inherently inferior. And then I think it's a mixture of both but still impossible to tell who chose to be and who is a degenerate.

He liked Epictetus.

This is neitzche completely missing the point of living according to nature.

Maybe if you said """"God"""". I think saying God gives the wrong idea. It's God like but it is not a caring interventionist God. It's much more like Spinoza's God and he pretty much only uses the term out of convention since it's apparent from his philosophy that he is an atheist and likewise so is stoicism an atheistic belief system.

But evidently not his philosophy

>cuck ideology. He wanted people to fight back against women and minorities through redpilled activism and struggle instead of acquiescing to SJW cultural marxism and degeneracy from bluepilled sheep
numales try to think

>To live--is not that just endeavoring to be otherwise than this Nature? Is not living valuing, preferring, being unjust, being limited, endeavouring to be different?
this
hedonists fail to see that there is a life beyond the senses so they think that not caring about the senses and desires and thoughts is death and stupid

>stoicism
>hedonists

My dude makes an incredible point and you think its bait. He's saying that hedonists, not stoics, fail to see that there is indeed a life beyond the senses.. etc.

He means Hinduism.

His criticisms against Schopenhauer and asceticism in general could be used against Buddhism. He basically says that wanting the end of all desire is itself a desire, and that ascetics hypocritically treat this, their one desire, as a true aim though it's built on a paradox.

But the desire to end all desires will always result in a lack of desire, thus eliminating and freeing you of your initial desire to end desire.
Its quite simple.

Desiring eternal peace is still a desire but more importantly it is just repression and repression doesn't mean a lack of desire it merely means pushing the desire to unconscious; Nietzsche says that you can see a pure uncut lust in a monks eye and it's disgusting because it's so mangled and passed off as peace.

because nature smells too much like god