Sciene popularisation

People here seem to constantly shit on people like dawkins/ niel degrasse tyson or brian cox but I think they might be very important and do a lot for science. What I mean by that is they make science "cool" to general public which often also include rich dudes with tons of cash to give away, who decide to give it away to science funding. This is just blabbering, but how much of an impact do you guys think science popularizers have made to general progress of science in the last few decades?

popsci does more harm than good because it sounds retarded

Stop posting the opposite of what you know is true just to feel validated.

No idea what you mean there buddy

Popular science is intended to make you believe that you understand a thing which actually you don't understand, and to gratify what I believe to be one of the lowest desires of modern people, namely the superficial curiosity about the latest discoveries of science.

I always thought that popular science is intended to make you fascinated about the subject and eager to learn more. Can't see how that's a bad thing. And even if some people love popsci just to believe the understand things they don't actually understand, I don't really see how that's a bad thing because while sure the knowledge is no 100% accurate it makes "hard science" seem more approachable to general public it still makes people more aware of the subject, which imo is a great thing. And maybe, just maybe some lucky bloke will go on and start learning more about it on his own and learn the 100% correct version of it.

me neither desu

Agreed, but Neil Tyson Is a fag

>superficial curiosity
I was born into poverty and addiction, no one had ever encouraged me to do anything with my life but to become a recidivist or perform menial labor. If it wasn't for people like Carl Sagan I would have never been fascinated by the universe.

get off your high horse, a majority of people can understand things. Whether they choose to devote their lives to the sciences like a majority of us who post on here is a different question.

Good thread. The hate on popularizing science done by people who know what they are talking about is ridiculous. It's just a retarded cirklejerk here.
Pop-sci in retarded/fake articles and videos by (usually non-science) magazines and channels and such shit is just disgusting.

Good for you boy. Hope you're doing well now.

I study biochemistry, I am fascinated by life but what I find most alluring is the nature of the universe. So I'm on a mission to understand the language of the universe independent from my University studies. I feel the universe speak to me but it is all gibberish right now until I learn differential geometry. I'll probably die before I learn anything but that is the beauty of Science, you devote your life to something greater than yourself. And before I die I'll pass it down to my two boys who can then try and prove my ideas wrong.

Wow I really hope you're joking. That sounds pretty pathetic

what sounds pathetic about it

"Universe speaking to you" sounds borderline retarded. "Gibberish until I learn differential geometry" you mean relativity? Believe me, I studied differential geometry and it's not going to help you understand what universe is speaking to you. Physics may though. And if you're talking about physics, why the fuck are you studying biochemistry for? You seem overly obsessed with one thing, which very unhealthy and sounds autistic to other people. Also this shit: "And before I die I'll pass it down to my two boys who can then try and prove my ideas wrong.". Can't believe you don't realize how mental that sounds. Self-obsessed much? Get over it einstein

the same way the universe speaks to all of us through mathematics, I study biochemistry as a way to get into med school I have a family to support. there is no meaning to life, but we try and hold on to those things that are near and dear to our hearts. I know I will die before I truly understand anything therefore I can have my son carry on in my footsteps. It has nothing to do with grandiose and everything to do with the fundamental principals of science.

seems like you're in the wrong field my friend plus youre acting like a cynical cunt

>they make science "cool" to general public
they make science annoying to the general public

you ok, user?

Who hurt you, user?

It's all corporate controlled. Trying to shift the public eye to the stars instead of the robber in their home doesn't have much to do with science. More like
>hey look over there, science

I read cosmos when I was ~10. That shit opened my eyes. No matter how much Veeky Forums shits on him I will never not like him.

people like sagan and cox and that chinaman are doing good work I think because they frame it as the first step into science

tyson and that engineer guy the science man whatever his name is are doing alot of harm by tricking people into thinking they are real scientists and misrepresenting what scientists do

How is he misrepresenting what scientists do?