How do I ask for undergraduate research? Literally what do I say and to whom?

How do I ask for undergraduate research? Literally what do I say and to whom?

I literally just walked up to a new professor who still needed monkeys, and asked. After making myself known in class, during office hours, emails, etc. and getting an A, of course.

I found someone in the department who had a background in what I wanted to study, and asked them if they could help me learn it. This person was actually emeritus, so didn't have the time, but he referred me to another professor that could give me a project. I wasn't trying to do lab work, rather learn some theory. Same principle though.

"I think your research is interesting. Do you have space in your lab for me?"

If they don't have to pay you, then it's a win-win situation.

Is being familiar with the professor beforehand really necessary? I just transferred schools and I don't want to wait another quarter or two just to get to know some professors before I can start doing research.

Also, should I ask by email or in person?

Go on your school webpage and click through the faculty in different departments until you find something you're interested in and might be good at.

I would strongly advise against limiting your options by only looking at faculty in your department (unless thats what youre really interested in of course). I am a ChemE major and I did microbio research for a semester and am now in a computer science lab. It's all about your interests.

Usually your university will have a small organization or department that is dedicated to research. Visit them and ask about your options, they'll probably have a database of open research positions that you can apply to.

If your university doesn't have the above department, go over faculty pages for physics/chemistry/whatever department and look at each professor's research.
Send them an email (not more than 6-7 lines) explaining how you're interested in their research and wanted to volunteer as a UG research assistant. Bonus points if you attach a CV as well.
For the most part, seeing as how saturated every research position is with undergrads, it'll be hard to get into a lot of labs. But keep emailing/applying and eventually you'll get into one. I had to visit/get rejected by 8 before I finally found a good lab.

That picture.

Mental illness. These humans are a blight, and if we don't find a way to stop them we will all pay.

Bump

Nigger I already fucking answered your question here Don't fucking bump this stupid shit if you won't take the time or effort to look things up yourself. Saged, and fuck you again

Are you an alien?

>Literally what do I say
I have aspergers, faggot. Kys.

It's like any other business. Develop a relationship with your profs, do good at the courses, talk to them and appear enthusiastic and mention that you'd love to get involved. People usually have some kind of work that they'd like to have a volunteer doing.

t. PhD

>I have aspergers, faggot

Not a major drawback here compared to a lot of other places. Profs love their research - you learn about what they do and talk to them about it. Just don't try to prove how much you know, actually try to learn something from them.

first do well in the class, asking nice questions, and then once the ice is broken tell the prof you're interested in research

otherwise, if you're really motivated and have good ideas, go and introduce yourself directly, saying you're interested in research projects. email or in person is fine, office hours is probably best

I went up to my PI as a freshman and asked him for a microbial genetics spot, he (very nicely) said he has nothing that a freshman could do, but to come back after taking genetics and ochem. Fast forward a year or so (I got a one semester position in an organic synthesis lab, shit was cash) and I asked to join his lab. I think it's just about showing you're serious.

This, ask people in your department if anyone is known for hiring undergrads then meet with them

>hiring
Aren't undergrads volunteers?

Find a professor you're interested in. Email him or her. Explain that you're in undergrad and you want to work in his or her lab. Don't ask to be paid (funding situations can be tenuous), let the professor offer to either pay you or give you class credit.

That's what I ment, my b

ask your prof. you don't even need to have A or whatever. if your prof likes you, then you're in.

Are they more likely to say yes if it's for credit?

That shits like from a saw movie or something, but its real.

Really fucked up. These fucks will experiment on humans too. Don't kid yourselves.

Yes, IMO. The reason is simple: for a PI, signing off on credit hours is much easier and much preferred to paying a student. With the exception of the minority of labs with the lion's share of funding (HHMI, multiple R01s, etc.), the few thousand dollars to pay an undergrad to wash dishes just isn't in the budget.

That said, you need to be cognizant of how your school gives out credit. Some schools will cap research credits after one semester; others after two semesters. This matters because your major degree program won't give you credit for dish washing and autoclaving for a semester.

My undergrad, for example, gave one semester of credits for "directed" research (read: getting your feet wet in the lab; you report that can do techniques, more or less), and one semester of credits for "independent" research, wherein you actually push forward your own project and write about that.

I think the best way to go about this is to talk to a PI towards the end of your freshman year or the start of your sophomore year. You can swing things so you'll get your feet wet as a sophomore, then hit the ground running as a junior or senior. The PI may be more willing to pay you as a sophomore on the basis that you'll be doing research as a junior -- where you'll use up your major credits for your degree.

Another tip, if you're at a big-name research institution with a med school and PhD programs: go to the med school to find labs! Less undergrads to compete with; more PhDs, MD/PhDs, post-docs, etc. is better for undergrads to learn. The labs in the basic science departments are inundated with undergrads. They're a day care for 10 or 15 undergrads who end up not really doing much.

Should I ask about op's pic? Animal testing site?