Contagious cancer

Riddle me this, anons. I've seen operations where surgeon and operating staff are mighty careful about removing tumors to be sure they get all of it or individual cells could follow the bloodstream or lymph system and spawn secondary tumors all over the place.
Individual cells.

If this is how it works, could I sneeze on someone and give them cancer? Could cancer get airborne?

Other urls found in this thread:

cancer.org/cancer/cancer-basics/is-cancer-contagious.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Cancer isn't contagious but Tasmanian devils can get a certain kind of contagious cancer that makes tumours on their facial region. They spread it by biting each other (which they do all the time).

cancer.org/cancer/cancer-basics/is-cancer-contagious.html

I think that should explain it well enough,
I'll BTFO myself if someone comes up with a more credible source that says otherwise.

Cancer can be spread throughout a person's body during an operation to remove it, because any cell that is dislodged from the tumor could potentially 'root' somewhere else in the body.

Someone else's cancer in your body would be targeted by your immune system and destroyed very quickly.

If this was true, nobody would ever catch a cold from someone else though.

i guess if u are realy unlucky u could get infected. but not via sneezing. but lets say somebody with bloodcancer is screching ur skin and is bleeding himself. it could happen.

No. A cold is a viral infection, while cancer is a harmful genetic anomaly. They are completely different.

Cancer is allowed to spread in the host because the body doesn't detect it as being harmful. If those cells are transferred to another body, the new host sees the foreign cells as invaders, and react accordingly. Donor organs only work because we take pains to assure compatibility, and give medicine prevent rejection.

The virus responsible for the common cold is an organism that is able to survive the body's immune system long enough to reproduce. Unless there is something affecting the immune system, the body will see it as an invader and try to kill it.

some real einstein's in Veeky Forums

They're posting during American work hours. I assume they are either:
A. an idiot student not paying attention in class (and it shows)
B. unemployed (and too stupid to get a job)
or
C. browsing Veeky Forums when they should be working (and will soon become B.)

Meh
I have "friends" posting claims that all cancer is from the ingestion of fungus spores, using anectotal "evidence" along the lines of "my grandma's basement had some black stuff on the walls and she died of cancer at 102 years old".

People shitposting on Veeky Forums isnt even close to this. Except /pol / ofc

CTCs, circulating tumor cells, in theory could be placed into another person and those tumor cells find a home in bone marrow or something, but im pretty sure everything would have to be histologically similar

Cancer isn't contagious because the methods that cancer uses to evade your immune system are specific to your immune system.
I'll explain it in the simplest terms possible:
You have immune cells called CD8+ T cells - essentially what they do is they go around "checking" the cells they come in contact with by binding two receptors - CD8 and TCR - with a cell's MHC I receptor. Normal cells have a "self" protein on them and when the T cell recognizes the "self" protein, it moves on.
The way cellular machinery works, this "self" protein is a very specific peptide that is cleaved out of a protein encoded by your HLA gene, which is specific to each person. When you're infected by a virus or a cell is cancerous, as a cell, you display a modified/different version of the "self" antigen on your MHC I.
If you have anything different than "self" or have no protein at all on MHC I, the CD8+ T cell will kill you, either with induced apoptosis or cytokines/oxidative blast.
Essentially every cell on your body including immune cells have an IFF tag that tells cells they're on the same "team"
Now, a lot of times, cancers will display the "self" protein but still be very malignant, which helps them avoid setting off an immune response. However, if those cells are from a completely different person, they're treated as if they're complete pathogens and get not only Complement system MAC activation, but antibody attachment and both innate/adaptive immune response.
Bottom line, cancers survive only because they're cells specifically from the same person. In another person, they're treated like pathogens.
A good metaphor is this:
You wouldn't think it's out of the ordinary to find your wife in your kitchen when you come home from work and you'd probably go about your day. But find a 6'3 350lb black man in your kitchen when you get home and you're going to panic. He could be there to fix the sink, but outsiders are always treated with much higher scrutiny.

>never skip chin-day

So let's say you have gentic identical twins. Could one give cancer to the other?

how the fuck do you even begin to remove that? Multiple procedures over weeks? Can that even be removed while leaving her jaw intact?

Practically, the chances are extremely low - immune defense is also tissue-specific, so unless you're transplanting pancreatic cancer into the pancreas of an identical twin, it's extremely unlikely.

Who the fuck do you think you are you pretentuous fuckwit? I am doing my masters degree in sociology and have an IQ of 122 (psychologist tested me, paid $200). You're making absolute baseless assumptions!

Best wishes on you masters degree user.

I'l have a pumpkin spice Latte, please. Grande. No cream.

Does Veeky Forums have its own version of the "Top of my Navy Seals" copypasta? I feel like we need it here.

Great explanation

>If this was true, nobody would ever catch a cold from someone else though.
Jesus man.

Radiolab?