Why haven't we made underground road system?

Why haven't we made underground road system?

Pro's
- Underground
- low weather wear
- No pedestrians
- If electric it would be cleaner air space
- More space on top of ground for people walking
- Entire system can be designed by engineering

Con's
- You need to build a hole (Like what many miners already do)

Why isn't this getting funded?

What's wrong with subway systems?

Limited transportation. Why not just the entire roads underground. Just streets underground.

A railroad is only 2 directions back and fourth... why not just drive anywhere you want.

You're not thinking 4th dimentionally.

do you have any idea how much that would cost? all of them would have to be toll roads and people would be mad as fuck
although based elon is planning to cut down boring costs so that may change everything

They're ideal, but they're really really fucking expensive
Even musk's boring drill will probably not lower costs sufficiently enough to justify the expenses

Maybe when the cars are electric too.
Currently, even tunnels require a lot of forced ventilation.

Underground is nice though.
I spent a couple of weeks in Canada on a job once.
Really nice being able to shop, eat, play, visit the movies or the library -- and never have to face the outdoors.
But the city was built on a type of rock relatively easy to bore through.

Why not invest in highways instead? Vertical construction is going to boom due to increasing population densities in cities. Highways could allow people to park on skyscraper parking lots and thus save time and energy costs in getting to the higher floors of the building using elevators. Besides, you can make complex weaves of highways that allow multiple roads to run one atop the other.

You aren't thinking bigly enough, kiddo.

Because retards move where other retards are at.

This is possible while building city from strach, so you don't have to dig a hole, which is more retarded than building it.

W...we tear open holes in the very fabric of space and time and send our traffic directly into itself, thus shorting the space and time continuum and looping them inside a real life version of mister bones wild ride for eternity while simultaneously causing a resonance cascade in our perceptible universe that creates an atomic explosion?

Where is Canada was this?

con
-hundreds of times more expensive than asphalt on ground
-it's a literal death trap

- Construction much more expensive
- Running costs are high (yes, those tunnels need monitoring, operations and maintenance)
- Dangerous
- Inflexible

So unless there's a really compelling reason to do it (radiation after war, no more space etc), it's probably a bad idea

Everyone has pointed out the cost and danger. The specific danger is fire, as tunnel fires are horrible. Especially if there is high traffic.

>Why haven't we made underground road system?
We did but it was before cars were popular so we put trains in it instead.

because it costs a retarded amount of money to construct anything underground, comes with additional issues of safety and accessibility, and dont forget that everyone in the western world hates taxes to the point that no political will can be generated in their raising under any circumstance

Cons- Humans eyes need light like really bad. Artificial light can both temporarily and permanently harm eyesight.

-From a 15 year old Aspiring Ecologist

>15 year old

>traffic jam
>everyone dies from CO poisoning

Seems like something Hitler would have invented.

:c

The real reason he's fronting the hyper loop is to make his boring project go more smoothly.

prototype

Probably cost of tunnelling. But hey, I think it's a decent idea. I especially hate the weather, driving in winter is the worst.

>ctrl+f water 0 results
This thread is full of people who don't know shit.
Enjoy your liquid filled tunnels.

Ctrl+f instead of reading and you think you know better than everyone here? Yah, no.

Toronto has underground tunnels like this, and Calgary has pedestrian tunnels above the streets

>expensive to build
>has to be a large scale interdisiplinairy consortium of tonns of different companies and state. which is unrealistic to organize.
>risk of collaps and flooding.
geee i wonder why (((we))) are not doing this.

>should my local municipality with 20,000 people and an annual tax revenue of a million dollars pour a bunch of black shit on top of the ground or dig out a huge network of subterranean caverns and then pour the black shit everywhere

I doubt anyone would expect a town to do this.