Will reading this book give me insight into the mindset of Gen X?

Will reading this book give me insight into the mindset of Gen X?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=sExTt4j69zI
youtube.com/watch?v=hgy3PEVPXrQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

No, it'll give potential insight into a writer who doesn't know how to write outside of pop-culture references though.

Can someone tldr the book?

epic memes and so nerdy references.

Easily one of my top 5 favorite books!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Being human totally sucks most of the time.
Videogames are the only thing that
make life bearable."
—Anorak’s Almanac, Chapter 91, Verses 1–2

"First we will be best, then we will be first."

"Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."

"127.0.0.1 sweet 127.0.0.1"

this can't be real

Not all of Gen X, no. But it'll give you insight into the specific subset of the Gen X ethos that latches onto nerd culture media to derive a sense of meaning; i.e. the ethos that often gets reduced to or described as "literally rebbit".

Pic related about sums up the book.

For additional reading on the subject, I'd also suggest the autobiography "Super Mario Bros. 3" by Bob Chipman.

this

yeah, sure. please don't read it, the plot is a masturbatory array of nothing but pop culture references and shitty characters

>autistic millionaire video game mogul dies
>makes challenge so that anyone who can find an easter egg in his game/VR thing inherits his company and fortune
>neckbeards get obsessed with challenge
>one neckbeard finds the first hint
>becomes rich and popular, but others soon follow, including an extremely generic evil megacorporation who wants to win the challenge
>gets a legbeard gf (who soon dumps him) and makes some japanese stereotype friends
>wins challenge because deus ex machina courtesy of creator's friend
>his best friend turns out to be a black lesbian in a very poorly done twist
>neckbeards live happily ever after, megacorp gets shut down, etc.

I haven't read it in a while, and I don't plan to touch it again, so I might have missed something or remembered wrong.

wtf is this garbage
I'm getting off Veeky Forums, nothing motivates me to write like hearing shit books published

happy to help motivate you :D

but yeah, the book was atrocious

What does that last one even mean? If someone proves you wrong with experience and understanding they are an "idiot?"

>not getting a simple proverb
You're an idiot.

You should also watch RedLetterMedia's "Nerd crew" videos. They're a parody of said mindset.

youtube.com/watch?v=sExTt4j69zI

I kind of want to read Ready Player One as a satire of reddit-ish pop culture reference obsession and escapism. Plus it would be hilarious to have a copy of Ready Player One on my shelf. I just don't want to give the guy who wrote it any money. What do

Try looking for it in torrent sites.

ebay

>borrow it from the library in some town you never go to
>never give it back

e.z.p.z.

The second to last one is pretty funny to me. How much of a pleb am I?

I'm pretty sure that's a quote that's posted around the internet all the time attributed to some famous science man

You really shouldn't try to argue with him, then.

youtube.com/watch?v=hgy3PEVPXrQ
Just watch this catkin audiobook it.

Jfc

see what I meant when I called him a neckbeard in the tldr?

Is that pic from the actual book?

Yes.

Seems like the kind of book that targets 30 year olds who still has the word 'epic' in their everyday vocabulary.

New Veeky Forums game - is the excerpt from Cline's "Ready Player One" or Rodgers' "My Twisted World" ?

no way

Way. The book is pure trash. I'm actually embarrassed to own it.

dude why the fuck did you buy ready player one?

Got it as a gift shortly after it came out because "you liked Snow Crash, right? This is just like that, only better."

(not all my friends have good taste, alas)

I thought Neal Stephenson was a meme.

He basically is, though Snow Crash and Diamond Age are at least self aware-enough of their pulp genre and written with enough verve to be kind of fun, even if they're essentially still fluff. Later Stephenson is much worse, though still better than dreck like Cline.

>be me
>nerdy autist with no friends
>read this book
>emphasise with Halliday on spiritual level
>come back over a year later
>hate everything about this book
This feels quite weird.

Congratulations! you grew on a personal level

Thanks /pol/.

>And, of course, Kevin Smith.
>Phasers locked on target.
>Go. Speed Racer. Go.
>I memorized every last Bill Hicks stand-up routine.
>Did you know that Midnight Oil was an Australian band, with a 1987 hit titled "Beds Are Burning"?

How does this end? How do we stop this?

Buy a used copy

I see it quite often at thrift stores but never touch it so the employees don't think I'm a plebbitor

Wow, it's literally "I'm such a nerd xD": The Book

Then they will buy another copy, user. Not so easy peasy after all...

The worst part for me, for some reason, was
>I tended to agree
For some reason it just makes me want to destroy something with rage.

>that anime section
>those directors
>the implication that midnight oil is even remotely obscure
I was expecting Douglas Adams and Terry Pratchett, but holy fuck that's bad

yea, it's shit but it's a fucking kids book. everyone needs to get a grip. the average person reading this book is probably in the 16-22 range and is probably having their mind blown with the mountain of references they've never heard of.

the average person reading that book has a sub 100 IQ, don't blame it on age

if you're over 25 then yes. guaranteed most of the readers are in high school though. that's clearly the target market for the book.

It isn't a kids book, numbnuts

>he thinks IQ is a thing
kys

As if, it's a nostalgia pander. The success of this type of shit is all about making normal people feel like part of a special little fucking club without them having to do shit all except live their life.

t. retardo trying to excuse his lack of intelligence

>It isn't a kids book, numbnuts
how many adult books are about a nerdy outcast high schooler? this book is for precocious teenagers that want to feel like they're reading something mature.

highschoolers are hardly kids anymore, I think you underestimate them. A precocious highschooler reads Dostoevsky and Melville, a precocious twelve year old reads Dune.
It's a "young adult" book. It's read by 20-something dregs of r*ddit who dream of starting a booktube if only they could finish the hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy.

>highschoolers are hardly kids anymore, I think you underestimate them. A precocious highschooler reads Dostoevsky and Melville, a precocious twelve year old reads Dune.
point taken. yea high schoolers are smarter than i give them credit for.

still the target market couldn't have been 30 year olds looking for a nostalgia trip. it seems very geared towards kids but adults unexpectedly picked it up. all im saying is there's no need to shit on a kids book for being shitty

>non serif font

I liked it

when I was 12

>still the target market couldn't have been 30 year olds looking for a nostalgia trip
It was.

>Darwinian xD
Why do dumb-dumb nerds think that bringing up Darwin and evolution will somehow make them smart?

I can't even see the point he's making with it? What traits or people were being selected according to their adaptation to that high school environment?

Or did he just mean he was struggling to survive? Because that it a different thing altogether. It makes me really mad.

George Carlin iirc, not a science man, but close enough