What's your favorite Lovecraft story?

What's your favorite Lovecraft story?

I really liked 'The Rats in the Walls'

The colour out of space or The shadow over Innsmouth. The Dunwich horror is also pretty nice.

That's probably my favourite too. Second would be Facts Concerning the Late Arthur Jermyn and His Family, one of the few that genuinely creeped me out as well as entertained. I think that's because the creepy stuff is all relayed second hand until the very end, plus it makes the twist obvious without totally spelling it out.

Haunter in the Dark is up there as well, very atmospheric and more spooky than his usual cosmic terror stories.

The Music of Erich Zann

I know it's not entirely Lovecraft (also August Dereleth), but I really liked The Lurker at the Threshold

These plus the mountains of madness and The Call of Cthulhu

The Hound, The Whisperer in the Darkness, The case of Charles Dexter Ward, The Dream-Quest of the unknown Kadath, and most of the already mentioned

I'm reading At the Mountains of Madness right now and it's pretty good.

The Thing on the Doorstep.

These are three I'm looking forward to. I actually just got into reading his work yesterday after reading nyarlathotep and buying a collection of his works titled "necronomicon". From it, ive only gotten a chance to read "night gaunts", "Dagon" and "The statement of Randolph Carter". Next is "the doom that came to sarnath"

"The Dunwich Horror" made me genuinely scared.

On the Creation of Niggers

I really liked Dagon before I discovered it was a concentration of every Lovecraft trope. Ruined the immersion of a lot of his other stories every time I noticed.
So Dagon and Ex Oblivione.

This. Actually genuinely frightening. A prime example of how 'less is more'.

Never seen The White Ship mentioned but I think it's really beautiful. I think I shed a tear the first time.

>The colour out of space

this one. where he describes the light coming out of the well.. purple prose. so purple it's practically ultraviolet.

ikr? who likes to think of eldritch horrors being released by Appachalian Moonshiners? "Naow, son, you-all drag 'nuther cow out back and feed it to your half-alien monster brother, y'hear?"

nyarlathotep

"Screamingly sentient, dumbly delirious, only the gods that were can tell. A sickened, sensitive shadow writhing in hands that are not hands, and whirled blindly past ghastly midnights of rotting creation, corpses of dead worlds with sores that were cities, charnel winds that brush the pallid stars and make them flicker low."

I think I also like this one most but I suspect it might have something to do with Nigger Man.

I remember the first time I read that, I had to read it again and again to let it all soak in. Excellent description of entropy (and exams).

"The Other" hit me right in the feels

the nigger poem
because that's what you really wanted to talk about, didn't you

Whisperer in Darkness, Shadow out of Time, Case of Charles Dexter Ward, Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath.

Almost done with the complete fiction collection and these have been my favorite.

The Dunwich horror is pretty good, Call of Cthulhu, the mountains of madness

Welcome to the Portals of Madness! Do plumb the depths - there is so much to see!! Say farewell to your old life, it will soon be dead and gone forever!!! You will never, ever be able to return to that which you were.........forever, now, you will walk the angles between dimensions, and be cast out, and forever anathema to those who once called you kinsman - you are the Other, the Outside, the Lost, the Forsaken.....you Are, and before that terrific abyss You cannot prevail...............................

"Beyond the worlds vague ghosts of monstrous things; half-seen columns of unsanctified temples that rest on nameless rocks beneath space and reach up to dizzy vacua above the spheres of light and darkness. And through this revolting graveyard of the universe the muffled, maddening beating of drums, and thin, monotonous whine of blasphemous flutes from inconceivable, unlighted chambers beyond Time; the detestable pounding and piping whereunto dance slowly, awkwardly, and absurdly the gigantic, tenebrous ultimate gods—the blind, voiceless, mindless gargoyles whose soul is Nyarlathotep."

How do I get into Lovecraft? Is there a chart or someting?

Most stories are very short and stand on their own, you can start witg any really.

Personally I recommend the Nameless City as a starting point. You can read it in a few minutes and it includes Lovecraft's most common themes.

When the fuck has Lovecraft ever employed "less is more"?

His dream cycle stuff is really underrated.

Just pick up the collection titled "Necronomicon", or read a bit online. I recommend checking out "Dagon" as a starting point. "Nyarlathotep" was the one that pulled me in.

I haven't quite read enough Lovecraft to call it his best, but "The Festival" has to be up there. Totally spooky, hits all his classic tropes hard but is short enough to feel like a distillation and not just word-splurging, good level of describing the indescribably horrific and of tying it in to the mythos, and the first and last lines are awesome. Probably a good choice for best CHRISTMAS story, at least for adults.

Don't lie famalam, you read "Nameless City" first because it was the first in the complete collection released on Project Gutenberg Australia and downloading that was your first exposure to Lovecraft.

Or I'm just projecting. It is a pretty good entry point.