Got best grades in my high school in the UK, good enough for any university...

>got best grades in my high school in the UK, good enough for any university, was pretty much a Veeky Forums nerd type of person
>went to my nearest university due to money issues (parents wouldn't pay living costs for anywhere else)
>did engineering degree
>hated degree: was boring as fuck and intellectually worthless
>felt eternally butthurt when I was doing glorified job training bullshit in the later years of the degree when I knew that people who started uni at the same time as me would be learning secrets of the universe in maths or physics degrees
>hated university: mainly because I am not a normie, an ugly autist with no friends
>course was dumbed down as fuck compared to other better universities
>in the UK you take "Maths for Engineering" courses so intro stuff was even more dumbed down
>went through entire degree without any courses mentioning (to name a few common topics) eigenvectors, binomial thoerem, poisson distribution, bayes theorem, almost all of vector calculus, basic sorting algorithms in the intro to programming course (to show how shallow it was), proofs
>scrape through the degree with an acceptable grade and end up putting no effort because I hated the entire thing

Did anyone else have a 100 % worthless time at university?

I know this sounds arrogant but the university failed me, not the other way around. They are incentivised to dumb down courses to get as much students as possible.

Engineering is a glorified job training degree. What a joke.

I should say that I learn stuff in my free time after university but I know I can't learn as much as some person in an intellectual environment who can work on stuff full time. I just want to not feel like an idiot due to missing out on a worthwhile education

everything you just said there points towards you being an insufferable, ugly, autistic brainlet who couldn't even figure out how to: get a student loan and live by themselves; research courses before you taking them; get a 1:1 despite claiming the course was too dumbed down for you (lol); or switch courses in the first year.

you're just one of those gaylords in school who never had friends because of your awful personality and sort of deluded yourself into thinking you must be smarter than all the chads (who probably went to russel group unis and got firsts unlike you) as some pathetic, arrogant defence mechanism. Yes, indeed, I know brainlets like you.

this is what you get for not listening to sci and being a faggot.

>almost all of vector calculus
how the fuck do you get a degree in anything engineering with out vector calc. In the US, schools require that you know a huge chunk of it before they will even accept you into their engineering programs.

he probably went to an old polytechnic masquerading as a university

lots of them nowadays

he basically went to a bad community college and paid Yale fees for it because of mummy and daddy (apparently)

i'm sure he had vector calc, like all the engies, but at least he realizes his linear algebra is shit

this is why european education is superior

>parents: hurr durr you're a brainlet and unsuitable for higher education
>drop out at 16
>go back a bit later, get A*A*A*A* at A level
>first person in completely average schools history to get into the maths olympiad
>zero confidence due to being told I'm a brainlet most my life, oxbridge, imperial, durham, warwick NEVER EVER
>get to uni and realise how bad I fucked up never applying anywhere very good
>averaged 90 percent in first year

It doesn't matter, right bros? Right? I didn't waste my potential right bros?

You should've just done double honours physics and mathematics, then done your graduate in Oxbridge.
It is your fault for doing engineering in a mediocre university.

I didn't go to Eton, there were not masses of people going to those types of universities. There were almost none. In Eton the dumb chads go to durham. In my school, a normal one, they left at the age of 16.

and I had friends in school, which is incredible to think back to now.

I paid nothing for it.

what potential? anyone who cant figure out how clever (or, if you like, not clever) they are is de facto a brainlet

>averaged 90 percent in first year

means nothing, chances are in a serious programme you'd have your ass handed anyways.

Without wanting to sound like "muh privelige" have you ever actually been in this situation?

It feels extremely weird/confusing when you're a child. Now I'm obviously aware I'm smart but it's just not realistic to expect someone to realise they're smart if their parents/teachers don't believe in them.

My unis not shit, it's just not top tier. The average grades here are probably AAA or A*AA.

why didn't you switch majors? and what about scholarships? if there's none in UK, you could've tried other countries. are there no dormitories in UK? or loans?

you saved me from replying to OP

OP, nobody gives a shit, you're lying and even if you werent, read

(not him)

You get parents income dependent loans which easily cover it. However I think you can get fucked over if your parents earn a lot so you don't get the loan and then don't pay for uni.

>learning secrets of the universe in maths or physics degrees

You should've become an autodidact like me, learning whatever interests you while continuing to ace the brainlet courses effortlessly.

Russell group?

Why do you write like an american?

You couldve easily gotten a loan, you dont need your parents. Im assuming you already took a tuition fee loan.

Yeah top half of Russel group, although not one of the really good ones.

>went to my nearest university due to money issues (parents wouldn't pay living costs for anywhere else)
Nigga your maintenance loan should have covered living, further most of the top universities have scholarships. So either this is bullshit or you aren't as good as you're making out.

>was pretty much a Veeky Forums nerd type of person
That's your problem, right there.
Guaranteed failure.

/thread

The faculty i am in takes 1000 new students every year. And at the end of the first school year, only 450 remains.

This way they get money, and do not dumb down courses. I did 2 years and we did most of the things you said as example.

>best grades in UK high school, fairly normie there
>go to other high school for sixth form in posh area
>completely BTFO rich kids in grades
>even the russian import prodigy
>alienate everyone and disgust the popular girl friendship group
>become goblin
>go to decent uni for maths
>doing a reel subject
>make reel friends by second year

cant say my time was worthless OP, I know hindsight is 20-20 but you should have tried to get onto a science course if you really felt that way
hope you at least got a job at the end of it

if you get a first out of it then thats about right

Rich kids and poor kids cant get along.

t. poor kid

I hope someone considering an engineering degree read this thread. As OP said, engineering is 100% a job training degree. Go for a proper academic degree instead, engineering is for brainlets only.