This thread please

This thread please.

At least provide people with the template...

even though I love both GRRM and Tolkien, I have to agree with this - Especially after reading the Silmarillion.

The complexity of Tolkien's world is far superior.

nah

kek

>acting like you made it through that crap completely

Never been meme'd harder.

post-modern AF bro

Someone on here recommended this to me when I said I was new here. Expected some cool shit but it was just a complete meme fest with like philosophical boring stuff. I thought Veeky Forums read good books? Thank god for GRRM, Douglas Adams and Jon Scalzi, they may not be as deep as this Kafka guy or whatever but its atleast fun to read their books.

Is this the kind of boring shit you guys read in general?

fresh from the press

no you got trolled, we only read young adult and genre fiction here

It still hurts

you should try out my diary desu

Read this shit last year of high school. Went in with the same expectations, had the same reaction when I finished it. Good shit.

damn, I was thinking exactly the same right now

Are you me from future or something?

really makes you think

I'm the spic version of you who's writing a short story about a shitty writer who ascribes his failure to the success of this kind of literature.

wait, I am argie...

you are me and we are Borges?

you recommend it?

I live in La Plata. I am Bioy though

well, I am from Caseros. I am Sabato.

Let's stop this before it end like some gay thing

You know what they say - the best meme pictures are the ones that have half an essay in them.

I'm a woman

I'm not

Wait what

get out

too gay then

?

good one

Thanks

The best things stay the best things no matter how old they are. Bros truly are the best of all things.

please does anyone have the one about my struggle with the cleaning

Add some tax policy to the middle box, and it's golden.

Top kek

I don't usually judge the book by its cover but a good cover art plenty of times made me want to read the book and this one is top notch.

I don't get it

nice one
I mean, who really expects LotF to be a happy novel at this point?
Ok, I feel no need to read it anymore now

I mean...he still wanted to go to work, right? He was all eager, taking his suitcase and everything. It's not so much Bukowski's lack of motivation as it's just that the world itself beats back, even if the will is there.

So it's basically the Ecclesiastes?

See you feel that way because you didn't start with the Greeks, whoever gave you that recommendation was a pseud.

t. embryo

This is perfect

The whole point I got from the book was that he, due to being forced by society and his parents to be "productive", was secretly depressed the whole time and never felt any self worth or self actualization. The little bit of self esteem he has comes from him being able to earn money for his family even if he hates his job. Add to this that he is treated like crap by his family from the very start (for example his parents testing on him what food is still edible), being physical ill (the itchy spots on his exoskelleton) and being sexually frustrated and longing for human contact (the picture of the woman he has on his wall). Even if Gregor isnt conciously aware of this or even in actively in denial he is subconciously feeling terrible because of this and the book itself tells us these things subtely. One day Gregor breaks under this pressure and is no longer able to function, if he really turns into an insect is left vague intentionally. Keep in mind that the original german word for him is "Ungeziefer" which tanslates to "vermin" more than it does to bug or insect or whatever is used in the english version.

Thanks, I appreciate this a lot more than you might think. I got the idea with the fly from me being a kid and reading an ad about a local play of the metamorphisis where more or less only the premise was explained probably because people older than me were expected to know what it was roughly about. The imagery of a man turning into an insect stuck with me.

>if he really turns into an insect is left vague intentionally.
No, he does, the reaction of others pretty much confirms it. But it's a metaphor of course.
But yes, I think you may be onto something.
I thought it was simply a metaphor for the absurdity of the world but your interpretation is more specific and interesting.

hu?

wat

On point

Who?

I thought the reaction of the others might come from him looking really awful due to his stress and him most likely not taking care of himself anymore. One thing that bugged me about him possibly still being a human is the apple scene which might not be impossible due to brittle skin or something, Im no expert, but I would find it a lot less unsettling if he would be a bug. Its a metaphor either way though. On a side note I once read that that the sort of bug he is descripted as in the book would be able to fly (pic not related). Its kind of sad to imagine that he was able to escape the whole time but did not chose to do so or wasnt aware of it being a possibility. Also works pretty well as a metaphor I think. Since the only contact he has is his family and his work and he gets his self worth from providing for his family he doesnt acknowledge just running away and having a fresh start as an option even when his family leaves him to die.

Switch it around for my experience.

I don't think a novel has ever given me quite the same level of feels.

>Cry, the beloved country, for the unborn child that is the inheritor of our fear. Let him not love the earth too deeply. Let him not laugh too gladly when the water runs through his fingers, nor stand too silent when the setting sun makes red the veld with fire. Let him not be too moved when the birds of his land are singing, nor give too much of his heart to a mountain or a valley. For fear will rob him of all if he gives too much.

Plus this cunt's writing is next level.

Yeah do it m8. CTBC is definitely in my top 5 novels ever. And yeah some of those vintage Penguin covers are super good. The ones for The Trial and Faulkner's novels are nice.

pls move to Washington DC

thnx

Is this really the best Africa has to offer?

This one is good.

The writing in that quote makes me despise this book. It's literally saturated to the utmost possible level with vapid, pseudo-intellectual and blindingly foggy language.

what

ftfy

>Is this really the best Africa has to offer?

NO NIGGA.

I've never read this but British people say corn referring to wheat, so a British person probably translated it. Corn is from the Americas.

OC here

Lost like fuck

t. brainlet who is probably still steeped in cold scientism

Topkek

I'm absolutely laughing my ass off at the absurdity of this image. Anyone with even the faintest knowledge of history would know that the "corn" that Caesar speaks of in Commentaries On The Gallic War is not the corn that we in the west are familiar with, but is rather a poor translation for the word "grain" which in Latin is "Frumentum"

Myself and many others who have read the commentaries would know what you're trying to refer to with your image but it's wrong. Unless of course you were already aware of this and you are posting this ironically. In which case I commend you for your post but it's still blatantly wrong. I would have gone with a collage of images of wheat instead.

7/10

Now that's good

scientism can be cool (cf. Quine) but that poster is retarded, that's not even very elevated or obscure language