Eternal return

If the universe collapses and begins again, would everything happen exactly the same way again?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=poNxrtz_p40
youtube.com/watch?v=36m1o-tM05g
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It would be extremely unpleasant.

You're a big bang

We know of no reason that should be.
However, the universe has only so many particles and only so many quantum-niches for them to occupy, so exact duplication is inevitable IF (very big IF) the cycles continue literally FOREVER.

It's like, there are 52 factorial ways to order a deck of cards. About 8e67 ways. If you shuffle 8e67 plus 1 times, you're bound to have a duplicate sequence.

I won't even try to figure the number of times the universe would have to re-boot. "Astronomical" wouldn't come close to describing it. Of course, universes which were so similar that you wouldn't notice the difference would crop up a lot more "frequently".

Philosophical question that depends on whether a classical view of quantum mechanics or a global hidden value theory hold true.

The two literally can't be distinguished through experiments though. So the answer is "we don't know".

For you.

Most of those rebooted universes would be unstable.

If you ask a question that cannot be answered, what do you hope to accomplish?

It's possible for a finite number of objects to never repeat a particular configuration even given infinite time.
Also the modern consensus for the future is heat death, not big crunch.

What happens after heat death?

Read up on "state space". That's a multidimensional representation of a system, six independent variables (3 for position, 3 for momentum) for each particle of the system.
It's a COMPLETE description. Given time and a finite number of possible states, any system MUST repeat.

What the OP asked though is theoretical. Heat Death or Big Rip seem to be the odds-on favorites.

You're assuming universal constants would remain the same after each big bang.

>Even if there were exceedingly few things in a finite space in an infinite time, they would not have to repeat in the same configurations. Suppose there were three wheels of equal size, rotating on the same axis, one point marked on the circumference of each wheel, and these three points lined up in one straight line. If the second wheel rotated twice as fast as the first, and if the speed of the third wheel was 1/π of the speed of the first, the initial line-up would never recur.

Nothing. Without a thermal gradient no more work can be done. There is the POSSIBILITY that even individual protons will "evaporate", as black holes do. On which case there's be nothing left but a expanding shell of photons.

>It's possible for a finite number of objects to never repeat a particular configuration even given infinite time.
such as?

Heat death is not very likely to be the end of all things, even if it is the end of this universe.

Why would existence be now instead of at some other time? At least a repeating big bang answers that question. Not that the heat death also can't end with another big bang.

Anyways, these sound byte arguments are worthless.

Are you the same dude who posts this tired line every time a similar thread comes up?
Regardless a big crunch would be more like a reshuffling than a cyclical sort of thing. Do you have any examples with reshuffling?

Even if they vary, we have to assume only a finite number of constants are possible. Otherwise, we'd eventually come to a "bang" which didn't re-collapse and that would be the end of the matter. That just increases the already stupendous number of cycles required.

The 2nd wheel is unnecessary in your model. Any two wheels with irrational rotation rates would do. They'd never repeat. That's why I had to specify that the system is quantized. Like the spinner on "Wheel of Fortune" a wheel can stop only in a finite number of positions.

>Why would existence be now instead of at some other time?
Why are you assuming our universe is the only one? If there's a source universes emerge from then there could be any number of separate universes like ours that emerged and ended in heat death.

True.
But we're getting away from initial question.
"Could it all happen again?" doesn't depend on if they're sequential or in parallel.

We have different definitions of the universe. Separation, of the kind you imagine, is impossible in mine.

What reason do you have for "defining" reality as incapable of including any context outside of our own observable universe?

Simple, you used the word source yourself.

My definition of universe would include said source.

Our observable universe is already well defined as the thing that began with the big bang. The source of universes wouldn't begin with our own universe's big bang. The point of introducing a source would be to have an eternal context for non-eternal universes like ours to emerge from. Sean Carroll did some speaking / writing about the topic if you're interested.

Not interested thanks

Yes

I want to live forever

Funny because I made a similar post and most people totally misunderstood. Personally, I don't think it happens the same every single time, but I think it's much more likely to happen again in either a similar manner then being the same thing again and again. Without a better understanding, it's impossible to say if this sequence of numbers is bound to happen again, but I don't see why it wouldn't eventually happen again. I don't think there's such a thing as an end. Everything is just constantly changing forms to repeat a cycle.

For all we know, maybe black holes are the manner for energy to be collected and recycled in a totally different "reality" and once everything's gone here, it's gone.

youtube.com/watch?v=poNxrtz_p40
Make something useful of your life.

>not interested
The equivocal call of the brainlet

Not every time but if you repeated it for long enough then yes, in every detail, in fact everything wold recur an infinite number of times, given an infinite number of "resets".

What if it just starts repeating one specific pattern and never stops? Then it could go on forever without repeating all the other configurations.

This is so fucking depressing.

I would much prefer heat death over "you live the same life you're living now from birth to death repeatedly forever."
Think about the worst moments of your life, the ones you could barely even get through once, and then imagine having to deal with that not only a second time, not only ten more times, not only a thousand more times, but an infinite amount of times.
Eternal return is one of the shittiest idea imaginable, I'm glad it isn't the mainstream scientific expectation for what our universe will end up doing.

eternal return is only for ubermensch my poor untermensch friend

>Falling for the delusional ravings of a literally brain damaged syphilitic.
wew

But I overcame these struggles. They are part of me. I don't want to lose everything

Well fortunately for everyone else what you want isn't the same as what the universe will do.

You're the only cuck who's too afraid to live infinite times
>B-BUT MUH TRAUMATIZING EXPERIENCES

>You're a cuck if you don't literally want to experience an infinite amount of suffering
If this weren't Veeky Forums this would be the dumbest thing I've read here all week.

I bet your underage ass knows nothing about suffering you little emo faggot

Don't sweat it.
Astronomer giving lecture explains how Sun will expand into a red giant in 5 billion years and engulf the Earth.
Shaky voice from back of auditorium asks, "How long did you say?"
"Five billion years."
Much relieved, "Thank God, I thought you said five MILLION!"

Why should it bother you? Someone ten-to-the-Googleth years from now might have the same configuration of atoms but (unless you believe in souls and transmigration thereof) it's not "you". No "memories" of what was and what will be.

Sorry. Everyone and everything passes. The cosmos will outlast you. Why should its eventual demise matter?

>not wanting to experience infinite suffering
what are you, a cuck? that's badass af

>Another 15 year old who read Nietzsche

Please take this thread to Veeky Forums, or /x/

>Another cucklord who doesn't contribute to the discussion

nah, just watched futurama, and rick and morty

Please tell me which chronic autoimmune disease you have and which part of your body it's destroyed / will destroy in the near future.

Receding hairline / alopecia isnt the end of the world, user. Just get finasteride.

No, there are too many factors.

Did you mother commit suicide in front of you out of the blue? I doubt it

>victim fight
>on Veeky Forums
this isnt tumblr you faggot cunts, fuck off

He's the emofag that doesn't want to live because of his disease, I'd be ecstatic with an eternal return

no one gives a fuck about you or your mom either

No.
Same elements, same molecules, same compounds.
Different arrangements of mass.
Heavenly bodies.

Yeah, but this doesn't have any merit in debunking the alleged eternal recurrence.

If this can happen once, it can happen again. Each big bang likely not only creates one universe, but at each moment in time, divergence takes place creating the variations discussed in this thread. So, for all possible universal constants: they were realized. Each action that can vary or fluctuate does, and in doing so, each variation spawns a new copy of the universe with that new variation, akin to a fractal.

This by no means posits that all possible universes are instantly realized as one might conclude. This particular big bang likely had its own finite possible properties. Other big bangs could be very exotic, containing different constants and possible variations of such.

It's also possible that we exist only within a very small section of space; that our observable universe is but a puff of matter in an infinite field littered with big bangs... Nevermind the extra-dimensional stuff I mentioned earlier! The immensity of this being reality would make matters even more staggering. There could perhaps be, have been, or will be another you in this field alone without the extra dimensional stuff (accounting for relativity of course).

big if true

If the theory of the instability of a universe containing no particles is correct then the universe would reboot. However, chaos theory should ensure that the resulting universe will look superficially different to ours after a relatively brief period of time. This is assuming that the laws of physics carry over into the next iteration, something we have no evidence of and likely will never know.

>If this can happen once, it can happen again.
The question is whether it would necessarily happen again. If it's possible for configurations in an infinite time to not recur, then the answer is "no, there is no reason to assume it will happen again."

Not as bad as having one or more of these diseases:
Multiple Sclerosis
Lupus
Ulcerative Colitis
Cystic Fibrosis
Cancer
COPD
ALS
Alzheimer's
Parkinson's
Epilepsy
Heart Disease
Huntington's
It's a dumb thing to want regardless, but if you believe you'd want to relive your life repeatedly as is for eternity it's probably because you haven't developed a bad chronic illness yet.
Non-disease reasons like "m-muh dead mom" are retarded and not at all comparable. Feeling sad about something is a mild inconvenience, not a disease eating away at your body and preventing you from managing basic activities you take for granted like eating sleeping, or breathing. Feeling sad doesn't equate to your immune system destroying your brain and leaving you unable to walk, talk, or shit without assistance.
Unless you've had all of these problems you shouldn't try having an opinion about how easy it is to deal with pain or suffering.

Trivializing witnessing a parent's suicide as "muh dead mom" and a mild inconvenience is sign of immaturity and an underdeveloped sense of empathy with a pinch of self-absorption. Regardless you probably deserve whatever shit on that list you got, I hope it's Huntington's btw. Enjoy being eaten alive by your disease pal.

I never said I have any of those diseases myself.
Also diseases don't get doled out on a merit basis even though it's reassuring to imagine they do. Young childhood disease is a pretty good proof against that notion unless you try to introduce original sin to the discussion.
Citing a dead family member as "suffering" is retarded in any event, that's again just a case of you feeling sad and isn't anywhere close to what people with real problems have to experience.

What makes you the arbiter on what is suffering and what isn't? Especially considering you haven't had anything to deal with in your sheltered life. And witnessing a traumatic event involving a loved one is not just "a dead family member" you autist (well i guess dealing with your autism must be painful). Is depression or PTSD "just feeling sad" to you?

If you roll an infinity sided die twice, would the exact same number appear twice?

CHECKED AND KEKED

What if you roll it infinite times?

Why would you interpret me telling you I never said I had one of those diseases as meaning I don't have one of them? I haven't told you either way. It's irrelevant anyway since A) I don't need to personally have a disease to bring it up as an example of the worst kinds of suffering people experience and B) You've demonstrated you'll come up with a rationalization for dismissing someone's argument on this topic whether they have had one of those diseases or not.
>Is depression or PTSD "just feeling sad" to you?
Those are certainly not anywhere near as bad as the chronic diseases in that list from the other post.
Are you telling me you'd rather have Parkinson's Disease than "depression?"
Fuck off if so, you're just being a sophist and you know they aren't comparable.

>>Why would you interpret me telling you I never said I had one of those diseases as meaning I don't have one of them? I haven't told you either way.
>>you're just being a sophist
Is irony lost on autists? I think you've lost the plot here. This all started because you claimed that "fortunately for everyone else" eternal return probably isn't a thing because going through "the worst moment of your life" (notice no mention of terrible diseases because they only affect a very small portion of humans certainly not "everyone else") infinite times is something you couldn't possibly handle. I just kindly pointed out that you didn't have any traumatic experience nor any horrible disease(unfortunately) except for asperger, while I've gone through things most people never will. You in turn turned this into a competition of who had it worse and disease ranking by miserableness. I don't know what your goal was but you sure showed me autism is a terrible thing.

The sum of those rolls would be -1/12

he seems pretty chill with living his life all over again
youtube.com/watch?v=36m1o-tM05g
>inb4 progeria isn't real suffering according to my arbitrary definition of what constitutes suffering

Even if it's within 99% the same recurrence, that's good enough for me (might not even exist given that). For those complaining about having a bad life and not wanting to experience this over again, I suggest you change your perspective if you can ASAP... But then again, it's predetermined if you will or won't.

To me, it makes sense to embrace this as the only chance of an "afterlife" of sorts. So, live, love, have fun, take the grief and pain the best you can, and make it so that this experience you're having is, well, okay to recur for eternity.

I'm saying this as a paraplegic who has experienced a lot of pain and suffering. But I've also experienced a lot of amazing things. I'd be ok with a repeat, though I'll definitely not look forward to surgeries and all the near death experiences if things do happen exactly as they have for all eternity.

QUIT BEING INTERESTED IN WHAT HAPPENS AFTER YOU DIE!!!!

NOBODY KNOWS

Nothing wrong with being interested, but I agree there's not a lot of useful information to be gleamed by dwelling on it.
We'll all be dead sooner than we'd like, and you'll have the definitive answer then. In the meantime, focus on the things you can affect in this life.

I know! It's nothing!