Engineering = Liberal Arts

"I believe that engineering is the liberal arts of the 21st century" - Engineer at Columbia

How will engies ever recover?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=4dVGQlhpA0Y
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Ok I'm taking your bait. But I have to assume he meant this as in "it should be widely studied by all educated people" like liberal arts used to be.

Of course he goes on about how engineers wants understand basic differential equations without immediate spoon fed applications. The absolute state of these brainlets

>Engineering

>Well educated

You have to make a choice user

God damn this board is stupid, Liberal Arts was once the degree program that gave an individual a well rounded education making them diverse in their skills. Now, since the world is moving towards a STEM world, an engineering degree has replaced the Liberal Arts degree. Engineers, despite what this brainlet board thinks, are the most well-rounded individuals in STEM. They have basic knowledge in every STEM area imaginable. A math major is better at math than an engineer but an engineer is better than a math major in chemistry.

but why give a shit about being well rounded, theres a reason specialization is important.

And why the hell would an engie be any better at chem than a math major

>And why the hell would an engie be any better at chem than a math major
Because they take more chem classes than math majors.

>but why give a shit about being well rounded, theres a reason specialization is important.
lol no try doing real life work without being well rounded
extreme specialization is only important in academia ie. the antipodal to the real world

>lol no try doing real life work
the cry of the brainlet engie

real life work isnt what advances society. focusing on "real life" work wouldn't have decided to build the LHC. "real life" work wouldn't have made math.

Evangelist.

>real life work isnt what advances society
Jesus fucking christ. You must be the single most autistic person I've encountered in this Bangladeshian woodwork comradery.

remind me again how "real life" work discovered electricity, or better yet, abstraction in general.

>real life work doesn't advance society
I can't tell if you are a theoretical physicist or a NEET who never had a job.

Nigga, of all the things you chosen to make abstract thoughts superior to applied work, you chose electricity?

>I can't tell if you are a theoretical physicist or a NEET who never had a job
Basically the same thing these days.

"To the electron, may it never be of any use to anybody."
no, i chose electricity bc it was discovered with the sole intent to increase our knowledge and was expected to be useless. something totally opposed to the applied-fag mindset

Choked on my drink reading this bait.
Pure mathematic majors are the clear liberal arts analogs you mongoloid. They do overly complicated and physically fruitless maths for the sake of nothing but doing overly complicated and physically fruitless maths, the equivalent of fantasizing or doing some kind of really lame form of entertainment. They graduate and can do nothing with their knowledge other than teach it and/or attend post-grad where they basically live on a disabled autism stipend alotted by the school.

Modern software engineers are garbage idiot retards I wont argue that, but "mathematicians" are basically ghetto niggers living off food stamps and gibmedats. In the scheme of things I' guess I'd prefer more mathematicians cause at least then no more software development would be occuring by absolute idiots who are accomplishing nothing but slowly destroying the concepts of computing efficiency, simplicity and intelligent design that their forerunners from decades past spent so much time building upwards.

?

t. assmad brainlet CS major

Society is advanced to the greatest extent by sales and marketing, you can come up with the greatest product of all time.

If no one buys it, it's worthless. On the flip side, you can come up with a shit product and still sell it and in doing so you create a job for at least yourself.

Electricity was discovered before the electron dip. People just didn't realize electricity is made up of electrons.

He's right though. Engineering nowadays is a taste and application of several disciplines without students receiving a deeper understanding of the principles they apply. Most engineering and CS students couldn't perform math at a higher level than linear algebra to save their life.

Most math majors couldn't find a job to save their life.

Why say engineering then and not physics? Physics majors have more of every non engineer specialized field including foreign languages.

This is the opposite of true. The world is becoming increasingly specialized. Expertise is one of, if not the, most in-demand qualifications.

This makes sense from several views. First is the increased complexity and depth of technology demands more specialization. Second is the state of the economy. Employers are no longer investing in well rounded candidates and training them. They expect you to have expertise and dont care about what type of person you are

>karl meme picture
Entire post discarded. You're clearly a retard.

Bow down to the greatest theorist of all time, prole

Rekt him

t. The Envy Engie

Why so assmad at brainchads, user? Were induction proofs too "abstract" for you?

What about my 300k starting?

youtube.com/watch?v=4dVGQlhpA0Y

>foreign language
If it isn't english or chink then it's useless.

>muh use