If you were to design a temperature scale from scratch, and your 0 point couldn't be absolute zero...

If you were to design a temperature scale from scratch, and your 0 point couldn't be absolute zero, water's freezing point or whatever the hell 0 °F is, what would it be?

[math]0.\underline{9}[/math]

the temperature at which I am comfortable

I'd use Fahrenheit because it aligns with weather nicely. 0 would be the freezing point of seawater.

the average human body temperature, so around 37º I think

I'd have it factor in humidity (dew point), wind (wind chill), and temperature, giving the proper human comfort temperature.

I'd put the 0 point on the temperature water has its highest density. So around 4°C.

0 would be the average local temperature from yesterday. So today's temperature is always in relation to yesterday's.

Yes thats a great idea.

"Oh god, it was so cold last winter! It got as low as -4 degrees! Compare that to the scorching summer where it got up to 4!"

310° Kelvin

32° celcius, average body temperature

It wasn't supposed to be a good idea, lol. It was supposed to be different and unnecessarily complex.

What would you define the scale as? How far from 0 is -4 degrees?? And what happens when you change location? My local temperature is -2 degrees (aka colder than yesterday), but I flew from Alaska to Miami today where the local temperature is also -2 degrees, which is meaningless to me because -2 in Alaska is NOT the same as -2 in Miami.

however hot it is during the moment I am making my scale

>°Kelvin
Another reason to believe that half of this board doesn't know what they're talking about.

the notation is not wrong you turbo autist. both K and °K are legitimate and °K is simply the old notation

Chill dude, you're wrong. Its okay, happens a lot in science

[citation needed]

The square root of the freezing temperature of nitrogen will be my zero.

>using a wikipedia meme when the answer is on wikipedia
oh the irony

25º Factually the temperature where the human body doesn't need clothes to feel comfortable, neither cold nor hot.

98F because of the average body temperature

You'd want a scale which was easy to reproduce so everyone could make thermometers which read the same. Based on some common material which was easy to obtain and, preferably, liquid over the temperature range humans can stand.
Water fits the bill.
Say zero is the triple-point and 1000 is the critical temperature. That makes each "degree" about 0.7 Fahrenheit degrees, accurate enough that integers are good enough for everyday purposes.
If you wanted to be REALLY specific (for scientific purposes) you could specify that the water had to be "light", made of H-1 and O-16 isotopes.

Absolute zero is best (eliminating the need to use negative numbers) but the OP ruled that out.

>Ferrenheet
oh yuo funny people get me every tiem

also:
>cell-shus

swippity swoop