How do you folks find motivation to read?

How do you folks find motivation to read?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heuristic
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I place a pile of books on my desk chair. When I go to use my laptop, I move them to my bed. When I'm going to sleep, I need to move them back to my chair. More ofthen than not, I'll pick up a book at one of those stages and start reading it.

Between that and reading on my way to and from work, I can get through books fairly quickly.

if reading is a 'chore', then reading isn't for you. You might be able to force yourself to read a few chapters, but you'll eventually give up.

I don't need to find it, I have it anyway.

Well same goes for anything really. Watching a film, drawing, reading, listening to music, I enjoy all of these but I lack the motivation for any of these.

How can you read while commuting? I find it incredibly difficult to focus on reading while commuting.

My morning bus is fairly quiet. I get off at the stop where most people get on. The same applies to my journey home. It's an hour of my life where I have nothing else to do, so I may as well read.

I would also like to hear what people have to say. I have so many books sitting on my shelf that I'm dying to read but I can hardly stay awake when I read or I just can't bring myself to even open them

Same here. I have so many books I'm very interested in reading but I've only started reading a few months ago and I still haven't formed a habit and I'm also too lazy to read. And the words I have to look up in the dictionary also keep me from reading.

Nice growth mindset jimmy.

>the words I have to look up in the dictionary
Why not read in your native language?

I'm bored and have no other escape from my dull, pointless life.

Why the fuck do you need to motivate yourself to read? Either you have a good reason to read or you don't. You either enjoy it or genuinely want to improve yourself or you don't enjoy it/want to improve yourself. Stop shitting up something beautiful.

Not him,but in my case,books translated into dutch sound artificial as hell.

it's simple
i only read books i find interesting
this way i always want to continue reading

i know crazy but fuck it works

read on an ebook reader
where you can with a single tap get the dictionary definition of a word

I don't know, I just like reading.

Through experience, I know if I read I'll feel better and be able to appreciate reading more.

You just gotta ask yourself what else you do with your time that is so valuable and compare it with reading a book, most often the answer in there pale with the value of reading. So you just gotta discipline yourself to do it.

I never read more than the 6 months I had to take the bus and lightrail to and from work. It was 2 hours each way, and I got through 1,000 page books in less than a week. I miss those days sometimes.

Try getting out of the house. It helps to be away from the potential distractions that might delay or interrupt your reading. I'm lucky enough to be able to read at my job, but there are always public libraries, coffee shops, and park benches for those of you who cannot.

I'm under employed. I read during the day and when I'm not hunting. I also read during the weekends when I have little to do.

I read books that interest me, simple as that.

I don't really have motivation, I just use self discipline. I make sure that I read about an hour and a half each day. It doesn't always work but for the most part it does. I've gotten through Paradise Lost and Gone With The Wind so far doing this.

Force yourself to atleast read a chapter a day when you open a book.

Turn off/ silence your phone and other electronics. Make yourself comfortable, ensure you have adequate lighting, make sure you're in a quiet place. Prepare some light snacks if you like eating a bit (nothing greasy or messy).

Eventually you'll sit down and read a few in a sitting without realizing.

Don't rush through books, if you read over a paragraph and didn't quite seem to understand it, just re-read it.

My motivation to read is that if I don't I will just remain the dumb uncultered normies that I loathe. In the long run, I'll benefit more from finishing books than spending time wasted on things like scrolling through facebook.

i'ts inherent

watch out we got a übermensch over here

Read something that interests you, no matter how basic, plebeian and shitty it is.

It's a good escape from depression and also there's stuff I haven't read that I would like to

>sit in chair
>hold book in front of face
>read book

>interested in Nietzsche
>pick up Nietzsche
>holy shit this is hard
and that's how i found out that i'm dumb- doomed to a life of meaningless toil

Hello everyone, do you have a personal relationship with our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ? The Son of God. For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. - John 3:16

You just practice until you remember how to focus on things again.

If you don't like reading, why would you do it? Do you need to look smart that much?

If you like reading but are lazy, just pick up a book and start, and read it to the end, even if it's bad. With time you'll learn when to drop it or not. That's oversimplified heuristics, but it should do. Look it up, it may help you, if you have that crushing feeling of not knowing where or when to start. The answer is just start anywhere and please, please do not pay attention to Veeky Forums memes. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heuristic

If you don't like reading but are still interested in the information it brings, there is just no other answer than picking up easier books and getting used to them. You may have to force yourself to do it. I have no idea why you would though.

Answering the question, though, I don't need to. I like reading and whenever I have time I'll pick up the next book on my shelf I'm dying to read. Helps that I don't have too much free time too lol

>protestants
fuck off with muh feel good bible verse memes

I'm shamed by the size of my giant to-read pile.

Seriously, I tried using an e-reader for awhile, and I just never read anything.

Usually when I want to achieve something I force myself for a couple of weeks doing the thing religiously one hour a day, after a while it kinda grows on me and I'm enjoying it so much I don't even need motivation anymore. So taking things as a chore is good, for me at least, you can train yourself to like almost anything.

i don't know why i'd need to work up motivation to do something i like doing