SpaceX Launch Thread - ZUMA

Launch date: TBD (Probably Saturday)
Payload: Super secret spy satellite called Zuma. Built by Northrup Grumman. NRO denies that it's one of their birds. Who knows...?

This is a SLC-40 launch. There will be a 1st stage RTLS landing at LZ-1. It is the first flight of core B1043. Interestingly, this was going to be the CRS-13 core, but it was swiped from NASA at the last minute, thus why CRS-13 used a pre-flown booster.

This will be the 47th launch of Falcon 9.

(Outdated) Press kit: spacex.com/sites/spacex/files/zumapresskit.pdf
Webcast: spacex.com/webcast
Excellent article about spy sats in the meantime: thespacereview.com/article/3095/1 (with relevance to what ZUMA might be)

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/emrekelly/status/948984945804042240
twitter.com/SpaceX/status/949074398543261696
spacex.com/sites/spacex/files/zumapresskit_2018.pdf
satobs.org/seesat/index.html
twitter.com/nova_road/status/950162020896264197
youtube.com/watch?v=0PWu3BRxn60
floridatoday.com/story/tech/science/space/2017/03/11/spacex-autonomous-flight-safety-system-afss-kennedy-space-center-florida-falcon9-rocket-air-force-military/98539952/
twitter.com/gpallone13/status/950173715630907392
arstechnica.com/science/2018/01/the-zuma-satellite-launched-by-spacex-may-be-lost-sources-tell-ars/
satobs.org/seesat/Jan-2018/0063.html
twitter.com/SciGuySpace/status/950490705507569666
twitter.com/Marco_Langbroek/status/950509102970621957
twitter.com/pbdes/status/950473623483101186
sports.yahoo.com/m/9fa5438b-bf3d-3841-8eeb-3d6e9f70553b/ss_video:-spacex-launches-secret.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>inb4 it explodes and grounds everything for 6 months

Heavy next?

>Built by Northrup Grumman. NRO denies that it's one of their birds.

government bait, if they see what they like they'll tailor a contract for it for only one bidder

yes

NRO has never lied about being responsible for a bird. It's definitely for a different agency, but they don't want to make it public

twitter.com/emrekelly/status/948984945804042240

8PM on the 6th now

now the 7th

twitter.com/SpaceX/status/949074398543261696

It'll slip to Sunday and then will be scrubbed just like the last time.
t.insider

It won't be scrubbed because there's nothing wrong with the actual rocket, it's the wind shear caused by the bomb cyclone that hit the east coast that's delaying it; they're just waiting for the weather to clear up. It's obvious that the Zuma payload is very important considering how conservative and careful SpaceX is being with this launch.

>bomb cyclone

60 years alive listening to bullshit weather news and this is the first time in history I've heard that term on the weather news. Why is media so fucking retarded? It is a fucking winter tropical storm, just like every other one in the past 50 years.

>60 years
that's a lot of years

Gonna get nice 1st stage footage again, like with NROL76

Same here dude, the only unique thing about this storm seems to be how it just came out of nowhere, I guess if you think about it from this perspective the name 'bomb cyclone' makes perfect sense i.e. The storm sprang up and detonated in a very short period of time like an explosion.

my rabbit is loving the snow. Good for tunneling

Looks like Sunday will be launch-day

They found the actual term from Bomb-genesis or we say a cycline is bombing out. Usually associated with Hatteras Lows or Noreasters. It is defined as a low that drops 24mb in 24hrs. These events are not all that uncommon, though this particular low dropped much more rapidly than the marked 24mb in 24 hrs. Still the weather channel is stupid and sensationalized it.

This. What the fuck kind of name is a 'bomb cyclone'. Saw this on the news and just shook my head.

i thought i recall speculation was that it is probably an air force research satellite that is supposed to work with the x-37b

That patch is disappointing.

Every mystery launch needs a spooky patch.

same, but I heard it was working with the NROL76, not x37b.

The sat watchers will figure it out; they always do

>>spooky patch
>>uses a retarded dragon

new press kit spacex.com/sites/spacex/files/zumapresskit_2018.pdf

>The two-hour primary launch window opens at 8:00 p.m. EST on Sunday, January 7, or 1:00 UTC on Monday, January 8. A backup two-hour launch window opens at 8:00 p.m. EST on Monday, January 8, or 1:00 UTC on Tuesday, January 9.

>NRO
>Atlas V

spying is expensive, thanks russia for making it a little cheaper

Heard Elon is going to fly this one via remote control.

finger on the AFTS no doubt.

Can't wait for the D2 in flight abort. Maybe it'll be Little Joe II, II?

14 hours

Fairing is completely white...

no flag on the fairing. Could be a mission for another country's spy corps? GCHQ?

>no flag on the fairing.
doesn't mean anything, what goes on there is up to the customer

what is the payload Veeky Forums

come on I need your brains, you people are so fucking smart.

the shit I've seen you guys spontaneously crowdsource and accomplish, certainly you guys can figure this one out too!

Especially a community like Veeky Forums which has ACTUALLY IQ

t. shameful plebbitor

no one knows. It's a secret payload.

the most we'll know is when the sat watchers figure out where its orbit is. check here periodically: satobs.org/seesat/index.html

someone figure out how to blow the fairing charges remotely

someone should blow it up before launch. fuck those super-spy dickheads who wanna watch me masterbate all day.

2 hours

1 HOUR

aw damn stream got pushed back an hour

weather is 90% go

twitter.com/nova_road/status/950162020896264197

what does it mean

Ganbatte Zuma-chan!

SpaceX FM is go.

I knew you guys would have a thread about this. Thank you and happy new year

Stream, launch in 5 mins

youtube.com/watch?v=0PWu3BRxn60

Wasn't expecting them to be airing ads for this mission.

Not the first time

WASN'T expecting a Falcon 9 cameo!

>nighttime landing
I'M READY LADS

There is no payload, Northrup just bought some adtime during a SpaceX webcast.

>26th landing attempt, and if successful, the 21st successful landing, the 17th consecutive successful landing and the 9th successful landing on land.

>17th consecutive
has it been that long? I remember the first successful one

I'd do an >expandingbrain.jpg but I'm too busy watching the stream

from /k/ here to watch with you, guys.

love science but I'm dumb as a mule....

Have rockets ever asplodid after max-q?

>relinquish control of camera
>"Rodger"

SPOOKY

Mission control looking particularly empty tonight

yes

Most ICBMs do.

So how long until this first strike hits North Korea?

Probably a modern version of Vela to keep watch on N. Korea/Iran.

Why don't they put a light on the booster so you can see where it is?

Cool night landing view

success! can't wait for the amateur videos and perhaps SpX drone footage

The less people needed at mission control the better, it signifies further advancement and normality of space exploration,

It's probably just that most of the relevant people are in a different, more secure mission control room because of the nature of the payload.

I guess it was good old rodge’s turn on the cam, he’s briefed for the classified shit so they can fuck him over if he lets anything out.

not like they can do anything anyways. Rocket is 100% automated. Not even a big red self destruct button anymore.

Ahhh. That’s true, I guess. They’ll probably be up late then.

>Not even a big red self destruct button anymore.
I'm pretty sure they still have that if they need it.

nope. no red button anymore

floridatoday.com/story/tech/science/space/2017/03/11/spacex-autonomous-flight-safety-system-afss-kennedy-space-center-florida-falcon9-rocket-air-force-military/98539952/

Hate to say it but that was definitely the most boring SpaceX launch I've seen so far.
>night launch so shit visibility
>supersekrit payload so no second stage camera stream
>interrupted and low bandwidth first stage stream
>5 minutes of literally nothing before re-entry burn
On the bright side this made me even more excited for the FH launch, regardless of how it fares.

just wait for the nice landing video. Other than that it's just a routine mission, made extra boring by the lack of anything shared with the public after MECO

Do you mean the /pol/ shia leboof flag shenanigans? Or the /b/ time magazine person of the year vote botting? Ya, they can really compare to the privacy and security of spacex...

GET

The rocket isn't exactly like some IoT toaster. You'd likely have to spoof the rocket sensors into thinking it has launched nominally and has reached target orbit. Those sensors aren't IoT either, BTW, so the easiest way to spoof those would be to launch it nominally and put it in target orbit..

Nope. Range safety is all onboard. If it ends up going outside mission parameters it an heros

holy SHIT that sound

now I wanna take a trip down and see the FH launch...

They subtley used a four leafed clover for a reason.

There is a thread about this: Here are some theories:

>Space prison cell for the South African leader called Zuma. The man currently governing S.A is a robot or puppet.
>A spy satellite with the sole purpose of monitoring moot and/or Veeky Forums users (as evident by that 4 leafed clover on SpaceX's official patch for the Zuma mission, pic related)
>Spy satellite for spying on North Korea and/or China?

twitter.com/gpallone13/status/950173715630907392

they always air some old promo commercial for non govt launches

I remember an iridium one, some Boeing one for the x37b

the time Veeky Forums altered 2008 election by hacking sarah palin's emails. the time Veeky Forums got a man arrested for animal abuse. the time Veeky Forums got a military officer discharged. the time Veeky Forums linked the crackdown on the silk road with NSA clandestine metadata electronic surveillance systems

>doesn't mean anything
>t. spy agency

The lack of webms of the launch/landing ITT is appalling.

apparently something went terribly wrong and the satellite was lost

arstechnica.com/science/2018/01/the-zuma-satellite-launched-by-spacex-may-be-lost-sources-tell-ars/

nah I don't buy it.
satobs.org/seesat/Jan-2018/0063.html

2nd stage performed fine. it'll be a couple weeks before passes are visible in NA. Then the satobs people will find it

Nothing went wrong, it's not been confirmed as active because no one has actually claimed the payload; even if it was lost nobody would know because neither the government or spaceX want the bad PR of losing such an important payload. Also considering how secret the mission was I highly doubt fucking arstechnica have a reputable source for this 'information'.

>Adding to the intrigue surrounding Zuma: Reports that Musk has told his team that this is the company's most important/expensive payload ever launched.
twitter.com/SciGuySpace/status/950490705507569666

more important and expensive than a dragon or x-37b?

Does it matter? If no-one knows what it is, why wouldn't Musk PR his way about claiming that THIS launch was the most important.

Jesus you engineers and scientists don't into figurehead speaking. If it sounds similar to what Kim Jong-un would say, don't take it at face value.

>government refuses to tell us anything about this classified payload
>WELL MUSTA BLOWN UP

I think it's the government who leaked this information to the media; it makes sense, satellites are relatively easy to find so the government publishes its supposed orbit but decides to fake it's destruction and put it in a different orbit or maybe even rendezvous with another satellite to deceive any prying eyes.

Post ears

twitter.com/Marco_Langbroek/status/950509102970621957

>twitter.com/pbdes/status/950473623483101186
*inhales*

>sources say
You are faggot, sources say

>faggot
Why the homophobia?

well duh, because of faggots like you

if its up there, we might not get civilian sightings until months from now, even longer if it's designed to be stealthy.

sports.yahoo.com/m/9fa5438b-bf3d-3841-8eeb-3d6e9f70553b/ss_video:-spacex-launches-secret.html

>We're gonna go through four events here in rapid succession. And those are in order Nikko. Stage separation STS one and that the inspector. Amigos stands for main engine cut off that's when the first stage stops firing. Their follow stage separation went first and second staged apart from each other. SCS one is the third event that since her second engine start and second stage begins firing. And in the fourth event in that sequence use the boost factor and that's when first stage begins firing again to start its subject three back to landing zone one. About sequence Booker. About fifteen seconds in duration. Starting about fifteen seconds from now.

Was this written by a drunkard?

Niggers, right fellow Aryan?