What papers are you reading?

Other urls found in this thread:

math.harvard.edu/~lurie/papers/GoodwillieI.pdf
webusers.imj-prg.fr/~leila.schneps/grothendieckcircle/EGA/EGAI.pdf
www-users.math.umn.edu/~kwlan/documents/french-glossary.pdf
mathematik.tu-darmstadt.de/Math-Net/Lehrveranstaltungen/Lehrmaterial/SS2003/Topology/separation.pdf
pnas.org/content/104/17/7301.long
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

And what paper is that?

Hey Veeky Forums when did you realize that category theory is a load of shit and that pure is stupid?

Studying category theory for category theory is stupid. But category theory, and higher category theory, were invented to solve problems in algebra/geometry/topology. So studying it for that purpose is not stupid.

math.harvard.edu/~lurie/papers/GoodwillieI.pdf

&

webusers.imj-prg.fr/~leila.schneps/grothendieckcircle/EGA/EGAI.pdf

You're reading a paper on (∞,2)-categories and EGA?

EGA 1, with www-users.math.umn.edu/~kwlan/documents/french-glossary.pdf

Lurie's is a curiosity.

Why the higher category theory? It seems like a pretty dry subject when not properly motivated.

Just a curiosity. What are you into?

mathematik.tu-darmstadt.de/Math-Net/Lehrveranstaltungen/Lehrmaterial/SS2003/Topology/separation.pdf

Very nice

Moduli Spaces.

Recently I have been studying Lurie's notes on Chromatic Homotopy Theory. It is a bit outside my comfort zone as it is more algebraic topology than algebraic geometry, but it is focused around an interesting moduli space.

The moduli space of formal group laws.

A formal group law is a relatively simple thing to define, a formal power series satisfying certain properties.

There exists a commutative ring [math]L[/math] called the Lazard ring that classifies formal group laws. In the sense that there is a bijection between [math]\operatorname{Hom} \left( {L,R} \right)[/math] and formal group laws over [math]R[/math], for any commutative ring [math]R[/math] .

The Lazard ring turns out to be isomorphic to the homotopy ring of the cohomology theory of complex cobordism.
i.e. [math]L \cong {\pi _*}\operatorname{MU} [/math]

Complex cobordism is the universal example of a "complex oriented" cohomology theory.

Every complex oriented cohomology theory has an associated commutative ring, the cohomology ring of a single point.

So we can think of classifying such theories via maps [math]\operatorname{Spec} R \to \operatorname{Spec} L[/math] . i.e. Affine schemes over the Lazard Ring Cohomology Theories over Complex Cobordism

"Complex orientations" of cohomology theories aren't unique, so to get a proper geometric correspondance we want to quotient out by a group [math]G[/math] classifying the possible choices of complex orientations.

So our moduli space becomes the quotient stack [math]\left[ {\operatorname{Spec} L/G} \right][/math] .

The idea is to classify complex oriented cohomology theories by affine schemes over this moduli stack.

And moreover, classify general cohomology theories by quasi-coherent sheaves on this stack.

t.brainlet

t. IQ signaling role-player

t.faggot

>faggot
Why the homophobia?

this one

it's not homophobic to call someone fagot. would you say it's equophobic if I called you a donkey?

why not

Jesus fucking christ what a dry paper, this is why I left neuroscience and switched to synthetic biology.

Pointless topology is pretty nice!

>Growth, innovation, scaling and the pace of life in cities

by my man Geoffery West

pnas.org/content/104/17/7301.long

what is this

a map of the internet

Recursion Theory and Ordered Groups by Downey and Kurtz

Someone else likes recursion theory. [spoiler] I do too[/spoiler]

Reading anything recursion theory bro?

what you think is dry is actually quite interesting, and your synthetic stuff works inly in the wet lab and will never go into a patient

>Will never go into a patient
>What is Januvia, insulin, taxol, or any macromolecule drug???
I just came back from a seminar by a former student of my prof's who now works at GSK and designs enzymes to replace swaths of drug manufacturing steps. And that's just PRODUCTION, never mind drug discovery.

Fuck outta here, if I ever have to read another "LTP was induced in x neurons in y brain region" I'll neck myself.