Please leave and never return if any of the following applies to you:

Please leave and never return if any of the following applies to you:

>you do not have at least an undergraduate level understanding of mathematics and classical physics
>your major ends in -logy or has computer or technology in its name
>you believe you do not need to jointly study philosophy, the history of science, and the classics in order to be a good scientist
>you do not read mathematics or science textbooks for enjoyment
>you rarely study for more than 2 hours at a time
>you follow pop science figures such as Neil Degrasse Tyson or Bill Nye
>you post threads about pop science or pop science figures such as Neil Degrasse Tyson or Bill Nye
>you post or participate in IQ threads

t. first year math student with zero employability

I am a biomedical sciences major, know nothing in math and physics beyond calc 2, classical mechanics, and basic electromagnetism, and I am more successful than you ever will be.

Honestly, we should just start our own forum. Are there any other places like Veeky Forums that match OP's utopia?

This made me laugh. With strong enough knee pads anyone could be that successful, but pursuing rigorous academics makes me happy to be alive.

An unemployed math or physics major is more successful than you, regardless of how well-paying your job is. Not being a brainlet like you is worth more than anything material

basically all the population of Veeky Forums should leave then

>biomedical sciences
>literally premed
>not rigorous academics
you math major fags are just jealous I'll actually be making 300k+ starting and not have it just be a meme

t. freshman

I'm an unemployed math major that will never have to work because my dad was a rich electrical engineer

>waaaa why do people on a science imageboard not discuss only the science topics I want them to discuss
You sure are blinding us with your intellect, and are in no way a different brand of the same IQphilic spergs that plague Veeky Forums

Great thread OP. I'm sure this is going to have a significant impact on Veeky Forums.

You misunderstood that comment. The point was that not all of us are here to make money.

Bump. I want this too.

Did you expect anything else from Veeky Forums?
Now bring up a similar discussion on /b/.

Studying at a university might be an alternative for you.

>IQ denier
How to spot a brainlet

great reasoning

t. engicuck

Everything you posted makes so much sense, which is why it saddens me that you had to go full Veeky Forumstard and Veeky Forumstard with
>you believe you do not need to jointly study philosophy, the history of science, and the classics in order to be a good scientist

Can you explain why? I mean, I get the history of science. But that is just something we all naturally do for entertainment. And even technical books will comment on historical developments. But why philosophy? There is not a single philosopher alive who I respect. Why should I change this? Give me a single reason why I should give a rat's ass about modern philosophy? The way I see it, modern philosophy is just psychology but even shittier because they don't even fake data, they simply don't do experiments to begin with.

Plato, Aristotle, and Kant are the bare minimum philosophers everybody should read for quality metaphysics and ethics. Modern philosophy is garbage, it died with Kant, after whom philosophers stopped being scientists.

>you post threads about pop science or pop science figures such as Neil Degrasse Tyson or Bill Nye

So long, OP

So you agree with me? Then, are you not the OP or are you a walking contradiction?

What do you think about Wittgenstein, Popper and Searle? Aren't they modern?

I am OP, and there is no contradiction. I never said you should read modern philosophy. I thought it was implicit that I meant "good philosophy".

>doesn't know Russell, Whitehead, Carnap, Quine, Kripke, Stalnaker, Davidson, Putnam, Searle or any analytic philosopher
You clearly have an informed opinion.

Well, most people use the word philosophy to mean modern philosophy. No one would say math to specifically refer to ancient math. They'd say ancient math, or greek math, or Babylonian math. To make it clear.

Kant's idea of space is quite out-to-date. Even his idea of ethics aren't workable in our modern world. I don't say that Kant's philosophy is just bullshit but if you just read the classics you will end up with the worldview of a scholar living in the 18th century.

He's probably a mathcuck.

>electrical engineer
>took extra math and physics electives in college for fun
>read philosophy and science books for fun
>known as "electron user" in college because I got high and rambled about particle physics all the time
>think Bill Nye and Tyson are faggots
>have friends so im rarely on this board, actually first time in months

do i pass?

(Not him)
I haven't personally read Kant, but I do read a lot of Roman/Greek mythology and classics. Of course, it's all outdated, but it's still important for people to read Plato, Aristotle, Homer, the Bible, etc. The point of these books, and philosophy in general, isn't to provide an incontrovertible answer to life, but to make you think. Reading these books is also important to understand their influence in history

I completely suck at even basic math.
I failed a test of Variation and Standard Deviation in my Statistics course once. I can't even begin to understand most of the symbols used in equations.

I browse here in hopes of not being a brainlet anymore.

>drug use
Almost, user...

Veeky Forums is not quite the place to learn something about science... You might browse through math.stackexchange, alternatively.

That's a nice point of view. I'm also not against reading the classics but one shouldn't just read classics.

>tfw biochemistry major (Calc 3 and 1 year of physics required)
>tfw biotechnology minor
>-logy

Well see you lads.

Are you saying my mathology degree was a scam?

OP stated major, so minor doesn't count. Hold your horses---though maybe you should leave for lacking basic reading comprehension.

Yes mathologer, your channel was a mistake

You're right, many of you are here to belittle people that are more useful than you because math is all you're good at and you don't even like your life that much

>>your major ends in -logy or has technology in its name
That hurts in my eyes, that like saying
>the number is divisible by 2 or it is divisible by 10

kys you fucking gender studies student!

What if "technology" isn't at the end?

It's just annoying when people tell you to study people who are saying the same things i was thinking as a child. Philosophy majors are inherently dumb because you shouldn't have to go to school just to learn how to think

Local maxima are a hazard when taking as your own the thoughts of those who came before.

>>your major ends in -logy or has computer or technology in its name
>tfw majoring in topology

What about Bioscience majors? Or Biochemistry? Or Biomedicine?

Aren't Math degrees fucking useless? I mean, who not study it like a hobby and get a useful degree?

*why

Mocking others, but you're scrounging off your father's success!

You don't need to study the classics to be a good scientist, but you do need to do so to be a well rounded person. Philosophy isn't really important. I like how a lot of philosophy starts out (using logic to prove assertions), but a lot of philosophy relies on huge assumptions to get anywhere (ie. anything further than "there's no evidence of any kind of absolute moral facts or god, therefore they can't be said to exist").

I'll grant you that the history of mathematics/science is important for understanding the thought processes and context of various scientists/discoveries, but I'll shit on philosophy all day (again, outside of the idea of using logic).

Math is useful, you just won't go into mathematics without a graduate degree (particularly PhD). You use the skills you learn in mathematics (quantitative reasoning, problem solving, etc.) in any career field you want to. Math majors have a better chance of getting into law school than poly sci, english, or history.

>your major ends in -logy or has computer or technology in its name
haha topology BTFO

>LOGy

I've never heard of a major in topology, only majors in various types of mathematics where topology may or may not be a required course.

>being this angry
Biofags btfo

Fuck this hurt

Interesting how you can just rewrite your exact comment but with "math" in place of "philosophy" and it still makes sense!

where the fuck can i get a biology textbook that isnt high school pleb tier

Only reasons there are so many FUCK CS threads on this board is because math majors are unemployed and CS majors are busy working.

But my cybersecurity program is math-intensive in regards to encryption and networking. Do you know how to supernet in ipv6? Fuck off, not all IT degrees are memes. The game design students however... jesus christ

>>you follow pop science figures such as Neil Degrasse Tyson or Bill Nye

Does John Baez count?