What are some of the ugliest redesign covers for classic novels?

What are some of the ugliest redesign covers for classic novels?

>judging books by covers.

You should have named the thread 'Wordsworth Book Covers', can't go wrong.

Not ugly, just inappropriate.

This one gets bonus points for having a foreword suggesting that Dante would have approved of the video game.

I've been looking for ages and still can't find Wally.

Imagine being a 14 year old, dressing in black, dyed hair over your eyes, hating everything, drawing art of demons and loving the Dantes Inferno video game. Then you pick up this book when your mom drags you to Barnes and Noble after grocery shopping. You're so excited, the classic journey through hell! All your grim dark feelings of adolescent hatred and pubescent anger validated by a respected, scary, literary classic. Then you get the fucking Divine Comedy lmao.

>paperfags have to deal with shitty cover art
getwiththetimes.epub

>he prefers reading his literature from thousands of tiny light bulbs
I bet you enjoy getting your anus probed as well

Wordsworth classics literally just take whatever remotely relevant public domain painting or photo they can find and slap it on there

He's in the rocket

What's worse is that it's the Longfellow translation

Yeah but they're £1.99 including delivery here in the UK, so I love them.

So, this is the lowest common denominator right? For an antagonist? Trying to write in an antagonistic organization into my post-ironic short story about the life of an anonymous image board browser and those he finds himself among. Does it goes like this in terms of insults:

At first they strike at MCs beliefs:

>being ethical and righteous
>ignoring petty attempts at inviting anger
>actually adhering to an intended lifestyle
becomes
>"missing out" and "being stuck"
>doing this not because you choose to but because it is all you can do

This being evidently false, the MCs patently decide to do what they do, no one is forcing them.
When the antagonist realizes this, he must force other people to associate MCs with identity politics, easily applied labels and ironically entirely inauthentic (as the organization incentivizes people to regurgitate insults--they are bought and paid for) as it's being propped up by the pillar of funding.

Too /pol/ tier? I think its funny.

But I actually like this.

same here, I love Vintage covers

>not enjoying aesthetically pleasing covers

Vintage International covers*

this looks like airport novel trash

> Candide and other works

AHAHAHAHAH HOLY SHIT MY SODES

Those orange penguin books have covers so offensively ugly that I'm not even going to find a picture of them. Whose brilliant idea was that? Every book cover should look exactly the same, in the most garish colour possible? It's even more depressing seeing an entire shelf of them.

The Heck part of the comedy is pretty entertaining even for plebs I imagine.

holy fuck is this for real

true but they're so fucking cheap that you can get a shit ton of classics for peanuts so it's hard to dislike them for it

This one is especially bad.

THERE IS NOTHING WORSE THAN THIS
EVER

You're right, it's downright offensive to the tone of the book, it makes it look like a generic thriller
Is le roach too much to ask on the cover?

I think the turks took offense, hence the variation of the covers

>o fugg she bleedin all over the place

I still have no fucking idea why the choose this shit instead of spamming the Frank Miller one on every possible edition ever

nigga that is just great

> be edgy teen lord of the edge
> wear black, black hair long ponytail, the white kid who is treated nicely by all the black kids so i dont shoot up the school, whoosh just like naruto
> love edgy cool guy games for cool guys such as myself like mass effect dantes infernape and overwatch and halo and and and
> mom lets me go to hot topic we at barne and nobles but books are gay ew
> see dante's inferno want to buy ask mom can i has haha lol xd
> she says ye i read it at home
> next day i found god and now i'm a master of the aenid by virgil never leave home without my crucifix dress'd in bathrobe

desu suits the tone of the book well, raskolnikov literally is that guy lmao mega pussy

Wordsworth is just completely terrible at covers

What the hell were they thinking?

WRONG

>Lolita
I had the misfortune of reading this edition.

>The Karamazov Brothers
That's the first time I have seen it printed like that. Shouldn't it be The Brothers Karamazov?

"Brothers Karamazov" is slightly archaic today, like saying the Kings Richard (to mean all three). But it has a nicer ring to it.

Cf. The Brothers Grimm vs. the Grimm Brothers

Only because that's what it's been translated as before. I can't think of too many other example where we phrase it like that. The Brothers Grimm.

We don't say The Sisters Brontë.

humanity was a mistake

The plague camouflage with that carpet

>not Camusflage

It was right there, user.

>carpet

The Illustrated Platinum Edition books are a sight to behold in general. I would like to probe the mind of someone who bought all of them.

>[So out of desperation they]...associate MCs with identity politics, easily applied labels and ironically entirely inauthentic (as the organization incentivizes people to regurgitate insults--they are bought and paid for) as it's being propped up by the pillar of funding.

But how can an antagonist generate any sort of support without proof? Where are the proofs? MCs could just brush that shit off considering it's not even true.

wtf? I have a bunch of older wordsworth and they're pretty nice with classical paintings printed on the covers.

holy fucking kek, these are so bad
how had i not heard of this? are these ironically bad? or are just they that shit?

This isn't okay

no way this is real

still better than OWC desu

The Finnegans Wake cover ain't bad tho desu.

I can't belive this is actually real

Who the fuck designed these

implying these aren't the definitive versions

seriously though, I had never wanted to read Alice in Wonderland until I saw Sison's illustrations

Actually kinda cute desu. Who publishes these? And Carroll himself had rorita-compurreksu so the style isn't that out of place.

I have Crying of Lot 49 with this exact same shit on the cover

Yeah the old ones are good to go

SERIOUSLY lol

Jesus fucking Christ.

At first I thought it was fake but I was sorely mistaken

The Where's Waldo cover editions often have blurry text.

Overall they're impressively bad editions; they manage to simultaneously punt on aesthetics and content

It looks like the Black Lagoon manga or something. I kind of like it desu

this one isn't too bad
I mean, at least it kind of conveys the general theme of the Iliad

>uncle tom's cabin is a hut in Africa
ABSOLUTE MADMEN

>Three different fonts
>Random blurb takes up a third of the cover
>The title itself is in two different fonts for no reason whatsoever

I maintain that whoever designed this cover should be dragged into the street and shot.

At least it doesn’t scream I am not a paedophile i am a pederast.

Wow. This cover would put me off reading the book. It's hard to look at

Return to your seats, plebs.

Well, classical paintings are public domain too. All the new covers are lacking in is taste

You know we can tell that's glued on, right?

I...I don't believe you

Imagine the entire book written in that bottom font.

Kek
Except for the orcs, and how all the fighting stops when it gets dark

>what do we do with the books about slavery?
>just, like put a black guy on the cover

It's not a hut in Africa it's an African in hut.

Fuck, you've truly spiked the guns of my brilliant gambit. Please return to fighting crime in 1800s England and leave me this tiny corner of the internet for my evil deeds.

Death of Ivan Ilyich is the worst cover by far

i actually like that senpai, gives me a good late 80s early 90s vibe

So I've heard. Luckily the text in my version is fine, though.

Its fucking hilarious.

I don't mind those editions at all, they're pretty cheap, and they're good paperbacks

I agree though that they aren't very pleasant to see a whole shelf of though

>16 page full-color insert
tfw you will never have Dante's sublime poetry be cruelly interrupted by some obscene depiction of a meathead with a giant scythe slaughtering demons

I suspected this was just ridiculous enough to be real and modern library parodies are uncommon, and what the fuck it actually is

as if they weren't based enough already!

I own it cover is based what are you talking about?

me on the left

not really terrible, but shit compared to the one with the upside down cartoon head

This makes me way angrier than it should.

wew lad