Is intelligence even real?

Is intelligence even real?
It feels like it's a joke propagated by people that want to control other people.

It's like there's only retarded, not retarded, and genius.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=mDntbGRPeEU
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>It's like there's only retarded, not retarded, and genius.
We all know which category you'd fall into, OP.

Genius?

Is athletic ability even real?
It feels like it's a joke propagated by people that want to belittle other people.

It's like there's only Usain Bolt, not Usain Bolt, and Stephen Hawking.

Athletic ability can be trained.

>Is intelligence even real?
Science knows it is real. Smart people know it is real. Average and stupid people pretend it is not real so they can feel better about themselves.
See also: Every affirmative action program in the Western World.

There are so many different ways to interpret it in reality though.

There are so many reasons that it's not real when you see something that should objectively measure it. I mean, if you look at the Unabomber, he had an IQ of 167, and he ruined his life.

At most, it feels like some people have better working memory than other people.

It's illusive because so much of what intelligence does interacts with skill, and skill can turn into something monstrous if you're mentally average and dedicated, so it's almost non-existent. You could score a perfect score on your SAT and just be calm and clear minded under pressure.

On top of this, even intuitive answers are subject to train of thought. You'll get garbage if you don't really know what you want to do.

Intelligence is the ability to solve problems. And it's constant number. Either a certain specie can solve a specific problem or not.
Normal people often confuse lack of intelligence with lack of knowledge required to solve problem.
youtube.com/watch?v=mDntbGRPeEU

btw the main limitation of intelligence is short-term memory.
Brain works like blender: it throws all short term memory into a pool, blend it together and evaluate possible outcomes.

So can intelligence you numnut

In terms of raw intelligence, it's probably like eye color. Theres shades but generally just a few categories.

More important is disposition though. In college I realized I could sit in the library and study non stop for essentially the entire day. Some of my friends could barely go an hour before freaking out.

I've known some whip smart fuck ups who ended up as bar tenders and shit and would walk circles around me in banter and social skills but were too busy chasing tail to even consider pursuing something academic.

B8 please

>retarded
>not-retarded

>...
>AND GENIUS

Can IQ be trained?

Of course, do enough IQ tests, and you'll eventually end up getting better scores.

Are you asking me to b8 you?

It's not as simple as people tend to think. If intelligence would be a "level" a set number like IQ tends to be mesured some people would never come up with solutions to some problems - and this doesn't describe reality. Sometimes a pretty dull person can come up with a great idea and sometimes a great mind cannot come up with a way of finding his car in parking garage :P. By IQ standards I should not be able to communicate but should be able to plot rocket lunch in my head but I defy knowledge in this regard (sure I got phd in my early 20 but got 2 of them at the same time so had to split my attention).

Athletic Ability:Athleticism::IQ:Knowledge/Intelligence

>people that want to control other people
...found the paranoid schizo with feelings of inferiority and persecution.
Seek help user.

Are you telling me you've never observed a gradual spectrum in people's ability to solve complex tasks? there are plenty of non-retarded people who can't begin to approach difficult concepts

Intelligence is not the same thing as sanity. The unabomber might've been crazy, he was also crazy smart.