Post cool quotes

"The sciences do not try to explain, they hardly even try to interpret, they mainly make models. By a model is meant a mathematical construct which, with the addition of certain verbal interpretations, describes observed phenomena. The justification of such a mathematical construct is solely and precisely that it is expected to work."
-John von Neumann, Science-Ass Nigga and Real Math Homie

>The sciences do not try to explain, they hardly even try to interpret, they mainly make models.
fuck outta here

"When I was younger, I produced meth in my dad's garage. That's how I got interested in science." -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Dr. Wheelchair confirmed for 2-digit inferior.

This is actually true. Science is standing in a dark room and expecting that what feel like walls will not have moved the next time you try to touch them.

He's 100% right.

>he was terrified for the final weeks of his life
Feels bad, man

"If you say why not bomb [the Soviets] tomorrow, I say, why not today. If you say today at five o'clock, I say why not one o'clock?" - John von Neumann

uwot

Science makes models that are intended to allow for reliable, accurate predictions. The reason why this is separate from "explaining" or "interpreting" is a huge philosophical debate unto itself, but the crux and core assumption of science is that if you can make these reliable predictions, you may as well call your model "the truth."
Again, the models themselves are not "explanations." They're just some made-up descriptions and math and language we use because it just happens to be useful in making predictions. More info can be found be reading up on Pragmatism, the philosophy of science, and various other philosophical studies pertaining to knowledge and truth.

This is a very outdated view. Unless you deem that evolutionary biology is pseudo-science, you can't hold on to this view. For my part, it seems clear that the explanatory value of models of population evolution, even though they can't be satisfactorily tested for macroevolution, are enough to make the theory scientific.

I like to say "fuck off" to philosophers, but you make a good case to why we should teach it fucking hell dude.

>There are two objectionable types of believers: those who believe the incredible and those who believe that "belief" must be discarded and replaced by "the scientific method."
>~Max Born

good argument

so everyone

You sound like an unintelligent "I fucking love science" moron. Try reading some books or thinking deeply. Science is limited by man's senses and is entirely dependent on their correctness. Most of modern science is shooting the barn and drawing a target around it.

everyone stfu
science is God there's nothing you can do about it
you'll see

In general yes, but it falls short of the reality of it. Especially the modern reality.

"Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality." - Nikola Tesla

Your views of science are reductionist and the reality of scientific practice is far more complicated than how you paint it.

Yeah, someone as smart as him didn't deserve to die so horribly, especially considering his intelligence was diminishing as his condition worsened.

you may think it's a good quote and relevant today because of string theory and all that but remember: he said that about relativity. string theory will be verified and all the doubters will be btfo. it's inevitable... the theory is too good to be false.