Is this actually trash (by fantasy standards), or is it just shit on a lot because it's so popular (more exposure)?

Is this actually trash (by fantasy standards), or is it just shit on a lot because it's so popular (more exposure)?
Is there any contemporary fantasy in this vein that's worth a read?

Other urls found in this thread:

goodreads.com/author/show/108424.Patrick_Rothfuss
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It's a good book, solid prose, but it's major flaw is that it lacks a proper narrative structure and the MC is a bit of a Mary Sue. Nevertheless, It was an enjoyable read in my opinion.

Its easy to read and doesn't require a lot of thought to understand. Thats probably why its so popular. However the plot is boring and the world itself is bland. The protagonist is an annoying faggot. Patrick Rothfuss books belong in the trash.

But muh sex ninjas!

It's shit on here because contemporary fantasy as a whole is entertainment only, on the same level as marvel movies
I've never read Rothfuss but my general impression is that it sticks out as particularly self-inserted masturbatory shit in a genre already full of it. There's a quote going around about how he "researched" name of the wind by spending years mastering half a dozen martial arts, and he's a fat piece of shit.
His protagonist loses his virginity to a literal sex goddess, who then falls in love with him because he's better at sex than anybody ever.
When I was looking for the martial arts quote I found the interview in pic related and he just comes off as a twat. I couldn't handle a thousand pages of that man.

It's just 1000 pages of a guy worrying about his student debts

Best plot summery I've seen for this book.

more or less this. you can say it's a self-aware gary stu or whatever but shitting yourself is shitting yourself no matter how ironic

It's trash. I enjoy fantasy, so I'm not just saying that. I bought The Wise Man's Fear because I felt like going back to doorstop fantasy and it was unpalatable. I mean, yeah, the prose was readable, I guess, but it was just... boring. boring, boring, boring. Considering that Kuthbart or whatever's character archetype is my favorite by far, I couldn't even force myself to give a shit about him, which is impressive, really.

>the MC is a bit of a Mary Sue
That's something of the point though. Kvote is a prideful piece of shit and is probably exaggerating the hell out of his story

I see your point. Rothfuss is a genius; You can't criticise the novel when he's not narrating it.

What is Rothfuss' intent with Denna?

She's going to get killed off in the most brutal way

sauce?

Cuck like Rothfuss won't do something so "sexist".

Lmao. He sounds like every fedora neckbeard stereotype rolled into an actual person.

goodreads.com/author/show/108424.Patrick_Rothfuss

>In high-school Pat was something of a class clown. His hobbies included reading a novel or two a day and giving relationship advice to all his friends despite the fact that he had never so much as kissed a girl.

>For the next seven years Pat studied anthropology, philosophy, eastern religions, history, alchemy, parapsychology, literature, and writing. He studied six different martial arts, practiced improv comedy, learned how to pick locks, and became a skilled lover of women.

It's obvious. Every time Ambrose is mentioned his family goes from being like 12th in line to the throne to 7th to 5th or whatever.

I imagine a scenario where he either takes Denna forcibly or is somehow implicit in her murder just prior to ascending to the crown, Kvothe goes berserk and gets revenge.

Goes into hiding and now wants to just wait until his time's gone because he can't be with Denna

Nice theory, man.

>I have known her longer, my smile said. True, you have been inside the circle of her arms, tasted her mouth, felt the warmth of her, and that is something I have never had. But there is a part of her that is only for me. You cannot touch it, no matter how hard you might try. And after she has left you I will still be here, making her laugh. My light shining in her. I will still be here long after she has forgotten your name.

It's shit.

>and became a skilled lover of women.

Eh, I liked them. Patrick sounds like a moron, which reflects in his main character a lot. Both Kvothe and Denna are cunts and not very likable. Book 2 especially painted Kvothe like too much of a Gary Stu. I'm also wondering when we are going to get part 3, I get the feeling that it is still far from finished and it's been what? 6 years?

It's a harem anime about student loans.

Denna is the one of the worst characters I've ever come across.

i'm having a bad time

Book one is quite good, but book two really falls apart with the Hyperbolic Sex Chamber and free love swordswomen nonsense.

Denna is absolutely dreadful, and is like nails on a chalkboard any time she appears. Devi is so much better, it's a shame she or Auri couldn't have been the love interest instead.

Devi and Auri are the only interesting characters in the book.

>For the next seven years Pat studied anthropology, philosophy, eastern religions, history, alchemy, parapsychology, literature, and writing. He studied six different martial arts, practiced improv comedy, learned how to pick locks, and became a skilled lover of women.

I usually snap so hard from the cringe at skilled lover of women that I had, until now, completely overlooked the part about six different martial arts. I can't believe this isn't satire. This is as ridiculous as if he had put "studied the blade" in it. Is it self-aware? Is this the most talented self-deprecatory humor of all time?

God fucking damn it.

They aren't that interesting, they're just the tsundere and deredere in Kvothe's harem.

Which one is the one with big boobs that made him a cloak? She was pretty based

I think that's Fela, and she bought that shit cuz she's a posh hoe. She now titty fucks his best friend Simon.

The Farseer Trilogy is infinitely superior.

That's good punctation you have there. Are you a writer?

You guys will think im trolling but..
...some user recommended me those books...
...and some other user told me not to bother with them cause its from a woman...
...i dont know what to believe

I'd say don't read them because they're not very good.

>last Kingkiller Chronicles book singing
>Rothfuss is happily singing books from shy young men
>as the night goes on, his face changes little by little
>someone notices and calls him out on it
>Rothfuss smirks, " I guess I wasn't being sincere enough for you"
>The rest of the facaade crumbles
>David Foster Wallace, brought back from the dead due to the unabridged levels of sincerity in the atmosphere.

OP here.
So basically consensus seems to be it's a flawed book that's easy, and maybe even fun, to read.
I might check it out at some point, even if it's just to be in the "know" about something popular.

She's not real. She represents Kvothe's addiction to denner resin

>advisor for college feminists

>cries about having no money and cant afford student debt
>gets some money
>spends all his money on some overpriced instrument because "muh music"
>continues to cry about having no money

I fucking hate this prick

it's ok.
Kvothe is a self insert gary stu with a stick up his ass about everything, and he spends most of his time complaing about not being able to afford to go to (not)hogwarts.

Was an ok read until Denna appeared. she's a shitty love interest in that she is a realistic shitty woman. Kvothe puts her pussy on a pedestal for no reason and spends the whole book tipping his fedora in her general direction while she goes around fucking dudes left and right for their money. total thot.

It's made worse by the fact that patrick thinks he's written a wonderful love interest in Denna because she's not "muh damsel in distress."

Just because you're not using a cliche, doesn't mean your work is instantly good patrick!

>solid prose
Yeah no

Rothuss thinks his books are a deconstruction of Fantasy but they aren't.

It's terrible and reddit as fuck like most Fantasy novels.

it's really actually trash