Any Veeky Forumsfags have ADD?

Any Veeky Forumsfags have ADD?
How do you deal with it? Has it affected your literary lifestyle?

Have to take fuckin' meds to be able to sit down and read a book for a while. No matter how interesting it is, I get half an hour into a reading session and suddenly get the urge to do 20 other things, all pointless or unneccesary. Sucks ass.

Same here OP, but it's ok. Postmodernism means you can do stream of thought writing today and it's perfectly fine

I do but I was raised by a single mother so I tend to think that's the real disease.

No. I'm easily distracted and have anxiety though, so I'll often flick between reading and checking Veeky Forums etc.

Also I've just finished University and I have literally nothing going on so I find it hard to pick up a book without feeling guilty for doing nothing, so I waste my time here instead.

Any reccs on what I can do to be productive?

Audiobooks. Listen to the book and do something else. Gotta multitask, can't usually read longer than 20 minutes or so.

I deal with it by snorting methylphenidate

ADD is an invention by big pharma, only the severely bored upper crust of society had the time and focus to read or write until the late 1800s. Now that everyone is supposed to do it you get a majority of people who dislike it or have difficulty with it.

>ADD is an invention by big pharma

Somewhat true. It's composed of a range of symptoms that DO exist but are usually more tied to motivation/energy than actual neurochemical processes. With that being said, ADD drugs do help with getting busy work done.

>ADD isn't real, I don't have it but trust me I know

ok retard

It must take a lot of time and focus to maintain such stupid dellusions just to feed your elitism.

This here is my favorite unpopular opinion, and I sincerely hold it:

ADD is a euphemism for stupid. It's harsh but it's true. People are going to react to this and say "HURR, ppl with add cna have high IQ" which is true, but that just goes to show that IQ is a poor measure of intelligence. If you can't focus without the use of powerful neurostimulants, you're not bright, you're real dumb. If it takes amphetamine for you to string together a few coherent thoughts or synthesize more than five lines of text into an understanding your mind, you're just not bright. Saying this shouldn't even be controversial.

I think your interpretation of intelligence is incorrect. You place too much on the focus, rather than the actual ability to think deeply about something. ADHD doesn't have anything to do with one's ability to understand/comprehend or their ability to think deeply or rationally - it is, first and foremost, to do with one's ability to focus their mind. It's to do with chemical deficiencies that tell the body it is not satisfied and needs to find something stimulating, but the amount of stimulation required is far too high, causing the mind to just wander aimlessly within itself, i.e. you start to zone out. When medication is used, it supplies the brain with that stimulation, allowing the mind to freely operate without worries. One's ability to understand, learn, and comprehend never changes. It's simply locked behind a chemical gate-way. Someone who may not have been able to sit down and read a book you were before the medication, may be able to with and understand it better and with more detail and intellect than you could. Not to mention that if you took the same medication, it probably wouldn't change much other than making you more able to work/read for a longer period of time.

I was diagnosed with ADD and I think there is some truth to this. I've never taken ADD meds my entire life because I have always been afraid of getting addicted, and my reading has always been extremely slow up until recently when I started training myself to spend longer periods of time reading. That being said, I do think that one can, to a limited extent, overcome some of the "stupidity" that is ADD with dedication.

I've been diagnosed with ADHD. Took meds for a while but I didn't like the physical effects they had on me even at low doses.

Basically if you have ADHD it'll take longer for you to get through material. I read pretty slowly for example, but my ability to understand the material is no different than someone with a similar level of intelligence.

I can still sit down and read for 40-60 minutes at a time I just need to "set up" and get in the mental mode for reading. I sit at a desk to read, I put my book on a reading stand, and I have a nice light overtop, a glass of water and pen and paper to jot things down, a dictionary too (usually just my phone). If I don't have these things I will distract myself to get them and end up abandoning the task all together. I have had to do these sorts of things all my life to get anything done.

It's pretty horrible at times. I've got it bad enough that even the focus to go brush my teeth or eat is often absent—I have to really force myself to get these things done. Reading and writing can be a bitch too, but they're activities that really interest me so I still manage to read for a couple hours a day, albeit slowly. Meds help somewhat.

You have no idea what you're talking about. ADHD is a shortage of dopamine and norepinephrine, two VERY important neurotransmitters. I guess you consider yourself intelligent, yeah? If you were to take amphetamines for a few months and then cut yourself off abruptly, would you be any less intelligent? Of course not, you'd just be unable to direct your mind. ADHD is basically permanent stimulant withdrawal.

For whatever it's worth, I've always been near the top of my class despite these problems, and without proper medication, too.

>How do you deal with it?
meds

>I just need to "set up"
I totally get what you mean here. Pretty much any activity I do must be prepared for completely in advance. I find snacks help a lot too; a platter of veggies lets me find a momentary "distraction" that leads to a sort of micro-pomodoro method.

Caffeine, amphetamine, nicotine... Basically, a nurse practitioner introduced me to uppers when I was 14. Pretty sure I don't have ADHD.

You just might, at this point. I wouldn't be surprised if early-life exposure to stimulants were involved in the downregulation of the relevant chemicals. As much as I believe in the validity of ADHD, a developing brain will mold around whatever is provided it.

I've been using various chemicals since I was 15. Ecstasy, DXM, Amphetamine, Xanax, weed, and alcohol. All that shit. Is this why at 22 I feel like my mind is in total disarray?

ye, it sucks, sporting and sleeping well and medication

these are good tips

i have a lot of opinions on this so here we go:
> just goes to show that IQ is a poor measure of intelligence
agreed IQ shows exactly how good you are at solving iq tests, which in turn correlates with a bunch of good things like higher wages. It tells you something about intelligence but not a lot.

>ADD is a euphemism for stupid
Well, you could put it like that but itd a name for a specific kind of stupid. im gonna make a point here thats so obvious that it almost never gets made:
there is no such thing as 1 intelligence, different people are good at different things. Im way smarter 'in math' and a english major 'in english'. When you have adhd youre way dumber in paying attention.

Well yeah, any drugs at a young age will fuck you up, even weed. I messed with that stuff during my teens as well, and that's probably part of why I'm such a mess. Stay clean and work on building positive habits

>I swear to you gentlemen to be overly conscious is a sickness. A real, thorough sickness.
I'm 22 and finally 'have control' over my ADD. Im going to give you the best answer in this thread too. Prescriptions are just a short term fix. If you want to truly transcend you need to

>Get in shape/Cardio/respect your temple
ADD is magnified when you dont expend all those empty fucking carbs you dump into your mouth everyday

>Eat well/stop eating so much bread/stay hydrated/no sugar shit
Respect your fuckin brain. 20% of your energy is consumed by your brain. If you want to get a handle on your batshit stream of consciousness then treat it better than you are doing right now.

>cut screen time/practice mindfullness/read more

ADD can become a means to perpetuate the same shit thats causing you inertia from progressing out of the 6-year old distraction mindset your trying to fix. Be aware of how you think, give it some breathing space. When all you do is rotate computer/phone/eat/sleep you will be forever distracted from the path of being a focused, disciplined user.