Sokal Hoax

Do any of you guys know about this and elaborate it better for me. Basically, from my understanding Alan Sokal, a physics professor, published an article that quantum gravity was a social construct and all bullshit to purposely get the liberal minded editors to publish it. It worked and it got published proving that no matter how truthful something is that as long as it follows liberal dogma than it will be accepted, basically showing that the humanities are themselves anti-intellectual just like the Republican rednecks they criticize.

Other urls found in this thread:

nationalreview.com/article/443731/alan-sokals-hoax-exposed-academic-lefts-radical-relativism
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technocracy
emilkirkegaard.dk/en/wp-content/uploads/Fashionable-Nonsense-Postmodern-Intellectuals-Abuse-of-Science-Alan-Sokal-Jean-Bricmont.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>liberal minded
>liberal dogma
We are not going to justify your stupid U.S. political leaning, this was ultimately a way to criticize how certain academics were using scientific and mathematical lingo without consideration. It's on an academic level and it has nothing to do with ur liburls vs conservashit debate. Fuck off or go read fashionable nonsense.

nationalreview.com/article/443731/alan-sokals-hoax-exposed-academic-lefts-radical-relativism
>inb4 national review
I know.

Soyboys need not reply.

No, actually read fashionable nonsense, he never says he is an expert on those topics or that he is debunking "postmodernism" as a whole. He went out against academics that used scientific sounding words to elevate their views.
XD you got me!

>liberal

You keep misspelling hippies and commies.

I can't call them leftists really because they benefit from capitalism. All they really push is identity politics.

This sounds like something you would read on conservapedia.

>basically showing that the humanities are themselves anti-intellectual
I mean it's not a huge shock really. There is a reproducibility crisis in the social sciences right now because they stopped taking the scientific method seriously. It's basically "I have X hypothesis, how can I prove X is true" and then constructing a methodology with the explicit goal of getting the result they want. Then that result is never challenged, or reproduced and even worse sometimes used as the justification for certain policies.

Honestly the social sciences need a huge clean out. It's choc to the brim with psueds and hacks who make a living spending time trying to make the shit they spin sound credible

That's what the Sokal Hoax more or less tried to prove, that the social sciences themselves are as anti-intellectual as tradiies or farmers who think that without them the world wouldn't run. In my opinion the only intellectuals really are the STEM class. If a society was built on STEM minded people then it would flourish. Blue collar nor social science people would never be needed. No mad scientists ever existed in history, the biggest purveyors of genocide were people like Hitler who was an arts student.

No, that's not what it tried to prove. Go look up the pdf of his book. The fact that you can detect something wrong in an academic circle doesn't mean those circles are automatically invalid. Tell me how would STEM analyze law, social interactions and politics?

I would basically assume at some point we would build a society ran by super intelligent AI that would base laws on reason and not feelings or corruption that humans are so prone to do.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technocracy The thing you propose is not originall or "obvious", but how would you convince me of using this? Thats poli-sci nigger. also.
>What We Intend to Show
>The goal of this book is to make a limited but original contri
bution toward the critique of the admittedly nebulous Zeitgeist
that we have called “postmodernism”. We make no claim to an
alyze postmodernist thought in general; rather, our aim is to
draw attention to a relatively little-known aspect, namely the re
peated abuse of concepts and terminology coming from math
ematics and physics. We shall also analyze certain confusions of
thought that are frequent in postmodernist writings and that
bear on either the content or the philosophy of the natural sci
ences.
emilkirkegaard.dk/en/wp-content/uploads/Fashionable-Nonsense-Postmodern-Intellectuals-Abuse-of-Science-Alan-Sokal-Jean-Bricmont.pdf

> or that he is debunking "postmodernism" as a whole.
Too late.

The philosophical fad he was targetting (postmodern relativism) was absolutely a liberal shitshow. They unironically said pi was a social construct and dicks were the square root -1 of mental gravity or something.

There's a reproducibility crisis in the social sciences because social scientists are using the scientific method as best they can in their field. The very nature and complexity of the field makes it quite difficult to study to begin with. Serious social scientists are very much aware of the limitations that arise from this.

If social sciences actually did what you think they are doing, there never would be a reproducibility crisis.

Think.

1. Alan Sokol is not a physicist. He is a mathematician who works in combinatorics and statistics. He seems to have done applied work in statistical mechanics. He is in no way qualified to say anything about quantum gravity.

2. The journal he published in was not a physics journal.

This should tell you all you need to know. He exposed a poor pier review system at some shitty low-tier journal for social studies that made the mistake of publishing work they didn't understand.

He trolled them, basically.

1Oh god, do you have any fucking clue what statistical mechanic is? You are an absolute moron.
2 His book gives a comprehensive critique on many intellectuals about their incorrect use of math/sci lingo
Stop reading tabloids, and I'm not defending then, but merely doing merit to what sokal actually did which is expose some bad shit, but he explicitly stated that this is in no way a discussion about psychoanalysis, femini whatever, but just of those who missued scientific terms. Yea this made a lot of people skeptical as to if what they said was true, but therw was never a political motivation. In his book he also states that religious fundamentalism is far more dangerous.

>publish in a social science journal, a low tier one at that
>haha le ebin leftists destroyed

Incredible.

I know what stat mech is, and I know that working in stat mech as a mathematician implies very particular things about the kinds of problems you care about. These have nothing to do with quantum gravity.

Ah, I supposed you were making the point that they didn't even check his credentials of the field, my bad.