Invidious

>Invidious
>morass
>shibboleth
>Accoutered
>Propitiate
>Effluvium

I was just listening to a Sam Harris podpast and this is just a small sample of the complex words he used throughout. I don't think any public intellectual, or English speaker in the entire world, has a larger vocabulary than Sam Harris. And because of this, and his methodical manner of speech he is known to be particularly incisive -- hence his ability to debate almost anyone and win.

It's one thing to know the meaning of a word, or understand it's usage in a particular context, but is another thing to be able to easily employ such word when you are speaking. There are of course people who when they come across a seemingly uncommon word, understand it's meaning, but don't use such word when they speak. In my 21 years listening to people speak English, I haven't heard anyone with a richer vocabulary than Sam. And this is just my observation, perhaps 'tis flawed, and anyone who thinks differently is free to repudiate my claim.

And Sam isn't verbose in his speaking. He doesn't obfuscate (heh) his speech by using "big words" just to sound smart. He uses "big words" because they are the best words to use in such context, that would properly emphasize his point. And i don't think he perceives these
words as big words, and I also don't think there is anything like big words. What we categorize as big words, are just uncommon words.

> 'tis

Was this pasta written by Morrigan from Dragon Age?

>He uses "big words" because they are the best words to use in such context
You should take some lessons from him in that case.
>perhaps 'tis flawed

How did he get such a big vocabulary?

The best public intellectuals aren't English first language speakers, so this doesn't count for much.

It was commentary on his vocabulary, not his bestness

Not a good excuse. Nabokov wasn't a native english speaker and he had an insane vocabulary.

Just adding to the discussion with my big fat throbbing opinion
Nabakov's genius was in how he used language in the first place. The intellectuals that are concerned with philosophy or science and the like are going to be concerned with getting their points across accurately more than anything.

written vocabulary.

sam harris speaks with a bigger vocab than most could write with

I heard Ol' Sammy Boy has a 3 inch pecker lol

Stop reading Heartiste friend, it's toxic to your soul.

Propitiate is an ugly word that should never be used. Placate or appease are always better options.

that's a very interesting opinion

Does it really matter when the dude has absolutely no charisma whatsoever?

that's like, your opinion man. I personally think he's a dime piece.

and yes, it would still matter. OP was igniting a discussion on vocabulary.

>Propitiate is an ugly word that should never be used

If you are trying to describe appeasement a deity through sacrifice, propitiate is by far the best word.

mfw both of you actually had to look it up

checked, but wrong. OP is making fun of Sam Harris using an overwrought vocabulary to hide from his destiny as king of the pseuds.

I don't give a shit about how big his vocabulary is if all he uses it for is spouting the same three talking points endlessly.

>ISLAM!!!!
>AI IS GONNA TAKE OVER!!!!!
>GOD DOESN'T EXIST!!!!!!!

It's not even that he's especially wrong on any of these, it's just boring as fuck listening to him repeat himself over and over. He hasn't had a new thought in half a decade.

I'll have to stop you there and plant a flag because you've made the most basic of logical errors, by which I mean listening to Sam Harris. As a thought experiment imagine there was a button you could press that would torture Sam Harris forever but also kill 10,000 puppies. It would be in your best moral interest to press that button, because torture is always justified. It's the intent that matters in any moral action, and if your intent was to stop Sam Harris talking, the good of that intent would outweigh any possible evil that unintentionally results. I discussed this at length in my New York Times best seller list book The End Of Sam Harris.

he's jewish isnt he

I found this very funny, thanks for posting

His work is much like that of comedians. Interesting the first time but if you attend any other shows you're going to hear the same damn jokes.

I think we need to unpack this a bit

He was a native speaker. He learnt English before Russian as a child.

sounds like an assumption, and an inaccurate one at that

>Effluvium
I just had a shitload of beans with my dinner.
This can't all be just a coincidence, can it?

>thinks those words are complex

I really just making a shitty comment but actually didn't know this. Thanks user

great post

>diagnosed with aphasia
I wish I could produce such a vocabulary.

Instead everything is going backwards.

He's probably autistic when it comes to good old anglo-saxon words, and being a Jew, prefers to use Latin based words and Jewish substitutes where possible. Talk about chutzpah!

You don't get to call anyone a psued after that abysmal showing in the Byzantium thread.

Drop your trip faggot

>This jewish scientist probably has a high verbal IQ
You don't say

I thought he was an atheist?

overzealous autodidacts tend to do this and thus lack sprezzatura. don't be sam harris.

>sprezzatura
Now that is a great word

Being STEMshit he was bound to pick up a few latinisms

Lol

Read that in his voice