Yellowstone is overdue for an eruption

>Yellowstone is overdue for an eruption
>the ash put out by it will block a significant amount of light, killing a majority of plant life.
>all types of food are ultimately derived from plants.

Wikihow do we survive this?

Other urls found in this thread:

livescience.com/25324-volcanoes-killed-dinosaurs.html
express.co.uk/news/science/862008/siberia-volcano-great-permian-mass-extinction
sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0012821X03003479
sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0377027316300221
sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0012821X08007115
academia.edu/2194711/Bio-Regenerative_Life_Support_System_Development_for_Lunar_Mars_Habitats)
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Correct me if I'm wrong but no volcano even a supervolcano has ever caused a mass extinction event of that size.

Exactly. The volcano's ash coverage wont last long enough to destroy that much. A lot of poverty stricken people will die and a lot of people near the eruption will die, but the eruption wont be an extinction level event.

livescience.com/25324-volcanoes-killed-dinosaurs.html
(I'm loving the title)

It could be very bad.
But the chances of it happening in any given year are now put at 1 in 730,000.
You and I and the rest of humanity have more immediate things to worry about.

Explain the iridium layer and the shocked quartz found at Yucatan?

One does not exclude the other.

Same planet, different time:
express.co.uk/news/science/862008/siberia-volcano-great-permian-mass-extinction

But the meteorite was big enough to cause he K-T event on it's own. If there was also a volcano then life would be super fucked.

linking to mass media should be a bannable offense on Veeky Forums, post a link to a scientific journal or gtfo
yes, increased volcanism was most likely a key factor, but a. it was probably not one volcano (or even supevolcano), b. it was most likely triggered by an impact and c. not only it would have been a chain of volcanos, but also located by huge coal deposits unlike the geography around yellowstone

Is it possible that one volcano eruption could trigger other seismic activities?

there's no evidence of it, when two apparently different volcanoes seemed to have triggered one another it was later found that they shared the magma reservoirs and plumbing systems
as of this point no two completely separate volcanos (ie. not sharing reservoirs) have been found to affect each other, even when they are located close to one another

sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0012821X03003479

I stand at: it is very likely Earth-chan can wipe us all when she sees fit, no impacts needed.

>Earth-chan
Holy shit kill yourself reddit faggot
That study is mostly about analysis of the Siberian volcanism, but doesn't go into details regarding what triggered that volcanism. There is also the fact that an impact would have most likely hit the sea and after 200 million years no crater would remain so it would be impossible to pinpoint
Let me ask you this, did you even read the article, or did you just glance over the abstract? Do you even have access to Elsevier journals?

So volcanoes cannot trigger other volcanoes with the exception of those connected by magma reservoirs. Does the same relationship exist when tectonic movement occurs? Is there sufficient evidence that an earthquake does or does not trigger volcanic activity?

it's an open field of research
sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0377027316300221
sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0012821X08007115

Why so emotional, user-kun?
Do you wan't me to kill myself or answer the question?

>There is also the fact that an impact would have most likely hit the sea and after 200 million years no crater would remain so it would be impossible to pinpoint
Sure it is. Likely.
There are smaller and bigger volcanic eruptions that need no impacts to be triggered (just like you). I am fairly certain humankind has not seen the major ones. I'd say it is also very likely the biggest ones (or a chain of those) can cause a mass extinction. And there are plenty of mass extinctions to choose from.

I just glanced over the abstract ;^)
But thankfully you are here to read it so I don't have to.

What would happen if a big but not extinction level asteroid crashed right into Yellowstone?

It would be loud.

is that a rhino

The dust it'll send off will reverse global warming so what's not to like? The Earth is probably telling us we fucked up and she's about to fix things herself.

hello jamal

>dust blots out the Sun for a few years
>Earth cools
>dust settles
>enormous amount of greenhouse gases are still in the atmosphere
>Earth warms
>geologic processes remove greenhouse gases slowly
>things go back to normal after millions of years

It won't kill all humans, there will be a percentage that survive.

The goal is to in that percentage who survive.

Stacked hydroponics. Our current tech would allow us to house ALL of humanity on a 100 by 100 km patch of land (probably less) and farm all needed nutrients on top of that.

link? proof?

Well you aren’t wrong user

This article for example (academia.edu/2194711/Bio-Regenerative_Life_Support_System_Development_for_Lunar_Mars_Habitats) suggests that you only need 30m^2 for a 3000kcal/day plant based diet using hydroponics. And there are lots of similar sources that suggest similar (or even better, using aeroponics) numbers. Hydroponics + vertical farming = incredible returns.

If you wanted to put a big number of people into such a small area you would still have to overcome enormous challenges (energy production and distribution, waste management, psychological issues), but it's theoretically all doable.

>overdue

No it isn't. Also, fuck off.