Why do violins have integrals in their front?

Why do violins have integrals in their front?

Other urls found in this thread:

rspa.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/471/2175/20140905
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>not knowing about F-holes
lolol

your mum has 3 but that's not what OP was asking

they let the resonating sound to escape the violin, the shape is for a reason (probably to do with not fucking up the sound waves as they exit)
And they're called F-holes (like Fuck-holes) lmao

your mum's F-holes also resonate with my violin string lmao

Hey excellent scientifiic deduction, mommy

maybe they're shaped like that to reduce diffraction or enhance diffraction, whatever's desirable

It is for decoration. As we know, the integral is known as the funky sum and the violin makes funky sounds.

rspa.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/471/2175/20140905

the shape gives it a more powerful sound
the shape just developed over time

there is no exact proof that this is the best design, it's just what it's developed to, and these guys don't think it'll change

They're "S" symbols which stand for satan?^*&*(&&&%*4*%*^*%(/

You think James Stewart fucked men while playing the violin. Like everything related to him has a violin in it. I would not be surprised if he did that.

The shape is more aesthetic than for any acoustic reason.
>t. someone who studied lutherie at some point in his life

kek there's so much hatred for this dude
All he's trying to do is teach the world calculus

He needs to stop.

There is literally no reason behind the shape other than that's what was generally arrived upon by the early violin makers. The hole could look like a stussy S and it would sound the same

Wanna do some calculations????

so they can go on the cover of calculus textbooks

both the violin design and the symbol for integrals are from late 1500s and 1600s europe , so I'm guessing it was an aesthetic thing back then.

No shit, you studied it too? I was a violin-maker's apprentice for 4 years in high school. Was pretty good at it but I wanted to go to college and study engineering and math n' shiet

It's aesthetic but it also plays a small acoustical role in the modes. I read a ton of books about this but it was before I understood PDEs and ODEs so I don't remember a whole lot.
Basically, it influences the elasticity of the plate a bit and has some shit to do with the volume of air inside (fundamental mode)

> the shape is for a reason
Baroque aesthetics. The shape of the holes does not greatly impact the acoustics of the violin.

None of that shit is perceptible to humans. No one actually designed the violin into that shape to get certain acoustics out of it. It's just that people in the 1600s really liked swirls and curvy lines.

That article points out that the placement of the F-holes (to the edge of the body as opposed to the centre, like with other instruments in the lute family) is more important than their shape.

No, the shape probably doesn't matter. I was talking about having holes in the front of the instrument and contradicting the notion that they "let the sound out".