Biohacking

Other urls found in this thread:

ableag.org/amedia/crispr-edited-super-horses-to-gallop-on-earth-by-2019/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transcranial_direct-current_stimulation
nature.com/articles/nature23477
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

It's but a meme.
There's not much new that CRISPR adds to technology.

True, but in the future we may be able to use CRISPR to enhance the GMO plant products we have today. Also with this, humans most likely wont be able to use crispr to make perfect people anytime soon, so you making you waifu real will probably be many years after you die from heart failure.

how much of the human genome is NOT patented? 10-20 years from now will we have an open source movement on DNA hacking? or will present patent holders shut that down before it starts?

That seems like a very tenuous hold. No company could claim to have invented the human genome.

aren't you the proprietor of your own DNA sequence? I can see people suing for unauthorized cloning in the future
>you wouldn't clone a flying car

Check out a recent paper titled "Engineering cell sensing and responses using a GPCR-coupled CRISPR-Cas system" to see how people are coming up with all sorts of new ways of using CRISPR. However, it has absolutely nothing to do with citizen science (or biohacking as it is referred to here). You need real lab facilities and the knowledge for this type of shit.

ableag.org/amedia/crispr-edited-super-horses-to-gallop-on-earth-by-2019/
>calling it a meme simply because reddit likes to talk about it

Is there any of this shit for psoriasis, ulcerative colitis, or arthritis? My three auto immune disorders?

I don't think a simple Crispr Cas system would work on any disease with a multigenic background

Okay thanks. I only know of one cure to this horror. Destroying my bone marrow with radiation and getting a transplant.

Anyone have looked into using electricity to increase your brain's functions?

normal blood transplant might already help, preferably from young blood donors

Yes. Most people don't know this, but the Chinese military is actually experimenting with this right now. warfare will look completely different in 5 years

DIY molbio is a meme. Leaving aside equipment costs, reagents alone will bankrupt you if you do it on anything more than an infrequent basis.

>ulcerative colitis
have you tried going whole foods vegan? look up dr mcdougall and dr greger

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transcranial_direct-current_stimulation

Diet has no effect, nor does my weight. Only thing is once it gets worse you start to lose the ability to eat certain foods. Eventually you can't even eat parsley without it irritating. Once that happens you are fucked because like everything has parsley in it. Canned soup, not for you!

Damn that's brutal, I only mentioned because I used to follow a couple people with ulcerative collitis who healed it. Andrew Perlot and Vegetable Police, they're raw vegan which I'm not, but worth it if it cures it I suppose.

>preferably from young blood donors

They revised this study cause they got it wrong. They discovered it wasn't young blood that had something that made you younger, but it was old blood that had something in it that made you older. Oddly enough, doctors had this exact same though centuries ago when we still practiced blood letting and deduced women live longer because they loose blood periodically. We only stopped it because doctors weren't trained properly in the practice and were killing patients but the whole thing got swept under the rug as pseudo-science.

Guess all those angsty teenagers trying to kill themselves by cutting or bleeding themselves are going to end up living forever.

Biohacking, otherwise known as injecting toilet water into your bloodstream. A great pass time activity for terminal brainlets.

Sure those kits are, the problem is when mega brainlets argue that CRISPR itself is a meme

so have you guys heard of "natural water"?

fuck off

Clearly you don't work in the research field then because that's pretty fucking stupid to write

>Adds the ability to add or remove genes and modify the DNA at a chosen location with a chosen template across each cell in an organism
>"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""not much new that CRISPR adds to technology>"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

>Guess all those angsty teenagers trying to kill themselves by cutting or bleeding themselves are going to end up living forever.

welcome to Veeky Forums

the future of medicine is to deliver gene of interest using quantum dots

the first disease that will be cured is ALS

Honestly, as someone who has done Crispr/Cas9, I bet they could deliver the necessary reagents for any educated layman to inject themselves in the comfort of their home
But this isn't a libertarian society and we can't let people change their genomes willy-nilly since there are off-target effects

>But this isn't a libertarian society
Yet.

>Many years after you die from heart failure
Do it'll be ready in, like, 5 years?
Don't expect that fatfuck's lifespan to be a good way of emphasizing what a long time it'll take.

>Do
*So
I guess that's what I get for being a phonefag

what do you think of this paper nature.com/articles/nature23477

How about you cook your own food

also, apart from being snide, my recommendation is that you look into butyric acid
Grass-fed ghee delivers here
Alternatively, look around for sources of resistant starch, which when metabolised by gut bacteria releases butyric acid
Might be a good idea to look at bone broth soup fasting as well

That's very interesting, do you got any more about this?

My grandfather got into an accident recently and lost some blood. Before the accident he wasn't getting any sleep and felt miserable, but since then he's sleeping like a baby and feeling better- physically a little bruised, but better

>Bioshock but everyone just has tumors and lymphoma instead of cool lightning powers
Cool

As long as regions aren't being deleted, and cancerous regions and/or anti-regulatory regions aren't being added, then how can CRISPR cause cancer?

Mistakes happen all the time. It's already known that viruses can increase risk of cancer, why not a failed crispr treatment?

>The solution to badly incorporated or faulty CRISPR insertions is more CRISPR editing

Ironically enough this was one of the major plot points in bioshock- that people became physically addicted to the gene editing serum and started getting hyperactive brain eating cancer if they didn't get more serum to rinse clean their genome

I'm talking about the kinds of synthetic biology research they were doing in the paper and the applications it may have.

>to inject themselves in the comfort of their home
Could you explain how this would work and what would be acheived? I can't think of any purpose to simply injecting yourself with some reagents. Nevermind off-target effects, you are just going to inject into a few fully differentiated cells that will die soon anyway so you won't get any effect at all (other than cancer if you are unlucky).

Well there's clear evidence that people who donate blood live longer and are generally much healthier, but this has been attributed to the fact that blood donors have to pass a health screening to be able to donate and they also tend to take better care of themselves because they're more mindful of their bodies. There hasn't been any serious studies that I've been able to find in the non-pay wall public domain.