Hey /sci why are you paying $30...

Hey /sci why are you paying $30,000+ for a math degree when you can learn upper level math courses like functional analysis through great textbooks (Eidelman's) and all of the resources online?

>Hey /sci why are you paying $30,000+ for a math degree
Why would you pay to get a degree? If you're not on scholarship that's a sign you shouldn't be getting any degree to begin with

because we want to have a job?

>assuming you can get a job with a math degree

Veeky Forums - role-playing freshmen

>The 18 year-old mecheng in calc I who thinks he's gonna have a job lined up leaving school

>the 26 year old PHD candidate who doesn't know what he'll do with all the debt he's racked up after he finishes

>PHD
>debt
t. freshman

>Let me tell you guys about the job prospects of your field. You see, I've been through two whole semesters of math and it seems pretty useless to me. We have calculators now lol. People who do math are obselete

Kekd

No one pays for grad school

>>Let me tell you guys about the job prospects of your field. You see, I've been through two whole semesters of math and it seems pretty useless to me. We have calculators now lol. People who do math are obselete
Who are you quoting?

>He thinks math grad degrees are like medical/law school but for math

But math degree gives you a guaranteed $300,000 starting salary, so you could pay that back in a little over a month.

>everyone is agreeing with me on a math heavy board I must be right!

>why is it that all the people who understand this topic disagree with me for some reason? Weird how everyone is wrong but me

>PHD
>debt
kill your fucking self engicuck

>imagine a whole board not being able to see reality after what they've been fed all of undergrad

fuck off somewhere else then fucking faggot freshman engicuck wannabe

>fuck off somewhere else then fucking faggot freshman engicuck wannabe
Why the homophobia?

>Why the homophobia?
Why the faggotry?

>works dead-end blue-collar engineering job, 55k/yr after searching for employment for three years after graduating
>"l-look at those s-stupid math kids. heh... If only they knew.... how useless their degree was. lol... they should ask me about it sometime... right after i get done with this 15 hour shift, i'll go on Veeky Forums and tell them what they're in for! look at them talking about math. they're so delusional. unlike me, of course"

>closet homosexual
Your family and friends always suspected something so go ahead and tell them.

Any resources to learn the basics through to the advanced?

DELET

University is free in the first world, what are you talking about?

>guys I can totally learn [subject] in no time

autodidacts will rule earth

i paid $19000 for a math & cs degree including room & board where i got to learn directly from world class mathematicians , hang out with other smart kids on campus, and graduated into a job where i made a shitload of money

mfw

Nope. Autodidacts will be... "okay". The students of the top mathematicians in the world will rule the earth. That is just how it works. Look at any mathematician's wikipedia page and look for the people they advised for a Ph.D. Odds are you will find at least another great famous mathematician on that list. Then click that person's name and look for who they advised for a PhD, and you will find another great mathematician. It is like inheriting the genius. You could start with a 19th-century mathematician and you'll end up with Terence Tao or some shit. Seriously, auto-didacts don't even have a chance against whoever Terence Tao is training.