Environmental factors affecting intelligence

Would you say doing maths, further maths and physics from 16-18 at sixth form and then doing nothing for 3 years except browsing here, masturbating, talking to yourself and barely going outside would have a marked affect on your intelligence?
If so then how would you remedy it? How would you train your brain to grasp concepts faster and think abstractly if you can only read 6-15 pages an hour?
Would learning to think and write in another language help?
How about playing an instrument?

stop dealing in 'intelligence', it's a worthless term that becomes irrelevant after you leave grade school

deal in accomplishments instead. are you a high school drop-out? get a GED. are you unemployed? get a job. are you boring as fuck? pick up a hobby

all of these things will do more to make people perceive you as 'smarter' than any brain-training pseudoscience bs you can find on the internet

Depends on what you mean by intelligence. Is sitting around being a stagnant piece of shit going to effect your brain? Absolutely. Is sitting around being a stagnant piece of shit going to effect your capacity for intelligence? Probably not. Unless you are doing drugs etc. Then there are outside factors. Playing an instrument and learning another language will always be helpful. Any time you're actively learning something you are promoting brain activity on a critical level.

I should have meant, I can only read adornos appreciations and an essay on style at a rate of 3 pages an hour, I can only read moby dick at a rate of 10-12 pages an hour. Whenever I'm reading I have to reread sentences because I'm extremely slow to understand things and have to subvocalise whenever I'm not reading something on Veeky Forums or a quick article.
I'm 21 and english is my first language, this shouldn't be happening, I used to be so much faster at grasping concepts 3 years ago. I've been reading for almost 6 months now and there is no improvement at all even though I try to challenge myself. For some reason after the first page my brain just shuts off, I just can't read deeply anymore. I can't think anymore, maybe this is because all my needs are fulfilled? Maybe because I haven't wrote anything or done anything under pressure and just let the days slip by?

It just feels like there is almost no activity in my brain whatsoever and I've reached a plateau. It even takes me a while to type out a post because I can't even explain my own thoughts or think.
I can always focus, or at least my conscious mind can try to focus, but my brain just doesn't interpret the words and syntax fast enough. It doesn't grasp the idea without having to subvocalise and reread up to 10 times even though all the individual words in a sentence are familiar to me. Whereas I read all the posts in this thread just by looking at them in a few seconds.

It's pretty much impossible to increase your intelligence. It is, however, possible to lower it. You can lower your child's intelligence by locking him into an empty room, by beating him senseless and by not feeding him. Other than that, it doesn't matter too much what he does or doesn't do. Your child won't play piano, if he doesn't want to and he won't learn a language unless he wants to. It's just that if he's intelligent, he probably does want to.

>muh intelligence muh IQ
literally psychological memes

IQ isn't a meme. It's an actual thing that can be studied and quantified. However, it has become a meme that if you have a lower IQ you are less capable. That's factually not true and to measure someone's value as a person based solely on IQ score is assanine and completely wrong. Especially when humans are nothing but soft squishy sacks of meat.

Perhaps it's an attention issue? I don't necessarily think that reading speed is necessarily a good marker of intelligence. My girlfriend and I are comparably intelligent, but she reads three times faster than I do.

Writing and reading are trainable skills. It has less to do with intelligence and more with practice. Just read as a hobby and try to do more writing (perhaps on an online forum?). Don't focus on benchmarking it, just practice.

>Especially when humans are nothing but soft squishy sacks of meat.
Some sacks have higher IQ and are more capable than other sacks.

So what IQ shows then? How good people at solving specific set of puzzles? Why is this important?

Yeah, but a sack that's stronger than you can take what's inside the sack and take it outside of the sack. A high IQ isn't going to prevent that.
Because it helps us learn. If I see certain plants grow and bloom every spring, I can assume that plants grow in spring. Therefore if I need to plant crops I should plant them in the spring. It takes away the need to learn by process of elimination if I can see figure out what works by pattern recognition. However, if someone has a lower IQ that doesn't mean they lack the capacity to learn, simply that they won't pick up on patterns as quickly.

the problem is, to be able recognize the pattern you need to know it first

No you don't. That's what separates human from animals. Our ability to decipher patterns. That's why we made tools. We recognized that if I hit this rock with another rock, it states off and makes a rock with an edge. Then we ran out finger over that edge and it cut our finger. We then realized that if this sharp rock cut me, it will probably cut that gazelle too. And so on and so forth.

>generalisation

Who are you quoting?

Are you wanting intelligence for its own sake? I think thats pointless.

Wanting it for a goal? Immerse yourself in the relevant task. Best way to improve with certainty. Wanna read faster? Read more and read about the relevant things u wna read about.

Other stuff like instruments or puzzles may or may not help, may not give lasting changes and probably wont transfer far outside those things. Very uncertain evidence.
E.g. instruments wont help you read.

However learning new skills may make you happier and indirectly affect you. Sleep and diet too. Taking control of your life. Wont affect iq but may give you what you seek or help you.

Also nite these problems arent necessarily intelligence related.
Originally iq was developed from a statistical analysos meant to find a common factor that contributed to most types of abilitieas in school testing.

Also these problems arent necessarily intelligence related.
Originally iq was developed from a statistical analysos meant to find a common factor that contributed to most types of abilitieas in school testing.

>greentext is just quoting?
Your example ia just generalizations of known patterns.

I'm must be misreading what you are saying. You're saying that nothing can be learned with out it already being known? That's an insane contradiction. You can be self taught you know. People have been teaching themselves since the beginning of human history. Through pattern recognition.

How do u recognize wt u dont know?

What do you think IQ tests are? They're patterns simply because they can't be taught. It wouldn't be a fair test if it was a math test because half of the world can't do math. But we can give an African an IQ test (which is only patterns and pattern recognition) and count the data as valid, because it's THE ONLY THING THAT CAN'T BE TAUGHT. Fuck dude, think critically. Why the fuck would we measure intelligence through pattern recognition if pattern recognition could be taught? It would invalidate the results as it wouldn't be a "natrual" test of your intelligence if you could study for it. It wouldn't make it fair.

What results did you get?
If you want to regain your maths skills you should probably do open book STEP questions while you regain the maths you forgot.

Thats not the reasoning behind IQ tests. They dont have a particular theoretical basis.
They make no other assumptions like that. Infact im sure their structure is largely for pragmatics and standardization.

Nothing about intelligence inherently suggests it cant of shouldnt be "teachable"

Look man, I'm clearly not going to convince you and I just got off work, so I'm going to do other things now. The fact of the matter is "natural intelligence" can only be measured naturally. The only thing that separates us from Monkeys was the fact that a monkey stood up one time and noticed it could see over the tall grass. Every single time (a pattern emerges if it happens every time) and they continued to do that for millions of years until you get us. Either way, enjoy your day.

Not him but is this bait? Have you actually thoroughly looked over IQ tests? Most of the questions literally come from or inspired by topics covered in number theory. Those same topics also are covered in k-12 educational curriculums and basic cultural/ religious practices. Toys like legos, puzzles like the rubik cube and religious practices like church bells are steeped in math particularly permutations. Having a basic american childhood with these three items alone already preps you for IQ tests since it's makes it easier to recognize patterns found in these test.

No, stop.

Intelligence is not a muscle, you cant train it, at most, you can absorb knowledge to give it more material.

>Doing things for impressing others

Spotted the brainlet

What do you even mean by "natural intelligence". Intelligence has never been characterised in the manner you say. Iq test scores arent even 100% explained by the g factor. Its a dirty test. I kind of imagine the g factor may not be learnable per se. Im open to it. Or atleast that there is some intelligent factor which isnt learning (though environmentally manipulable). However theres no reason to believe this factor is synonymous with pattern recognition. Especially becauae im pretty sure you can learn to recognise patterns. Pattern recognitions probably as dirty as iq tests in your aense of naturalness.
No, iq tests have never been specified to measure "natural" or innate ability.

Nah. Ive seen him so many times. Hes "pattern recognition" guy. Obseased with the idea.

Bump.

You gonna answer me you uneducated gimp