First day of calc

>first day of calc
>Professor states she will not be lecturing more than 20 minutes per class (which is 2 1/2 hours T/R)
>instead we will be self learning in groups of four
>after first unit she will adjust the groups by grade so we are balanced out if one group has all A's and another has C's we get redistributed to make it equal

Is this new or now the norm? I haven't been college in a while and came back to finish a different degree so my math game is rusty.

Other urls found in this thread:

businessinsider.com/sex-is-killing-the-workplace-2010-8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

This is definitely just a sign of your professor being a retard incapable of teaching. Either switch to a different class or get out of community college.

>self learning in groups of four
lol reminds me of ENG 1101, be prepared to do all the work yourself and hate your professors guts. Also Mathematica is your friend. Learn it.

Sometimes professors dont give a fuck.

>Took a professor last semester who ran out of shit to teach
>asked the class if anyone wanted to do presentations for extra credit.
>Me and the only other competent people in the class gave 40 min lectures on specific topics.
> Professor would heckle us and correct us and say we should pick harder topics.
>the 3 Last 2 hour classes were just me and 4 other students getting private lessons on random topics while everyone else played on their phones or looked scared.
>sign up for another class by the same professor this semester
>every class session is going to have a student presentation now when i know 100% this wasn't the case last semester.
>

It's not the norm, but I do get the occasional jackass that asks why the majority of the lecture is a lecture. You might've run into one of the generators.

sounds like your college is shit. Id want my moneys worth

>pat thousands so that you can teach yourself
Lmao

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

OP

THATS WHAT MY SCHOOL DOES WITH PHYSICS. BASICALLY SAID THEY WONT TEACH US BUT WE HAVE TO TRACH OUTSELVES WHILE WE GET IN GROUPS OF 4 AND DISCUSS THE MATERIAL AT HAND USING CUSTOM MADE WORKBOOKS WHILE OTHER STUDENTS AND THE TEACHER WALK AROUND ASKING QUESTIONS AND ANSWERING QUESTIONS WITH QUESTIONS

i.e.

“So do you guys understand the concept of flux yet?”
“Hmm, kinda, are we just seeing how much goes in vs how much stuff goes out in a specific area?”
“Is it?”
Then they walk away

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
AM I IN COLLEGE OR HIGH SCHOOL? AM I GETTING RIPPED OFF??

> Texas State

>AM I GETTING RIPPED OFF??
"Are you?"

this approach is so much better. i wish they would do that at my uni. i learn everything myself anyways, and listening to a lecture feels like a waste of time. textbooks and youtube videos are the best learning sources for me because i can manually set the pace.

Welcome to POGIL, I fucking hate it and it's here to stay. I go to St. Edward's.

I'm It works in theory, but it all falls apart when your group members:
A) lack an adequate reading speed
B) don't have any motivation whatsoever
C) skip class and come back and ask you/other group members to catch them up
D) either latch onto you because "user you're so smart, I'm gonna fail this class xD" or, failing that, completely give up

Yikes, I'm phone and drunkposting. I meant to say that I'm and I don't know why I didn't use greentext. My point still stands.

i don't really understand what's the problem. can't you just ditch them and study on your own? or does your grade depend on their performance?

From my experience, it's usually better to just stick with the classs in terms of speed (assuming you want a high grade along with your understanding) since you'll still be tested at a relatively slow rate. And, from my experience (which obviously might vary from the way other people teach with POGIL), a small part of your grade will be dependent on other people (usually this falls under the category of participation, etc.) so shitters can still harm your grade a bit.

MARKSISM

Lectures are pretty fucking retarded too. The vast majority of professors on earth are mediocre teachers, and yet they are hired for 100k a year the stand at the front of the room and read their notes and the same shit that's already on YouTube for 10 hours a week.
And what the fuck is the deal with chalkboard drawings? I took complex variables and I never understood what mapping was until I watched a 30 second animation. What the fuck. I know all my math profs use mathematica. If you already got a phd in math how fucking hard is it to write up some computer graphics instead of trying to draw some cylindrical coordinate bullshit?

And another thing is, fuck the profs who won't give you shit if you weren't there in class. The ones who don't upload the notes they already typed out online or provide study guides are the ones who deep down know they're obsolete but use lectures to validate their egos. I've never asked a question in class or during office hours because I have the fucking internet and I can figure it out with Google by the time I'd get to their office.
I go to a school where the professors know the students' names, and you'd think that'd be nice, but if you can't learn from lectures it really blows. Thanks for reading guize, don't forget to subscribe
>/Sleep-deprived all-nighter rant

Welcome to modern day Lysenkoism. Because allowing the smart to succeed is privilege.

It's all bullshit around the notion of the "active classroom" and is anti-gay"knowledge hoarding" because it's based on the misguided notion that the reason some students always do better than others is nothing related to nature/It and ALL related to personal work in the course. I'm not saying studying isn't really helpful, but this approach couldn't be further from the truth. I know this "active learning" approach because I'm a TA in charge of a lab and the school recommend we watch some lectures about it. Trash.

Pretty much this

Wtf where did "gay" appear, autocorrect screwed up.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Not sure if to respond or not...
Man, I fucking hate it. I feel like I’m surrounding by high schoolers. What ever happened to good lectures? What happened to not just guiding through the book? A lecture is straight forward, you get the info without the hassle of having to ask one million questions.

Though I get what they’re trying to do, I do. This seems like a viable teaching method for someone who is just starting out physics and wants to know the basics. Here at the school, honestly, the people who claim it helps them are in their 5th or 6th year... I’m not trying to make fun of them, I’m glad they’re learning, but the rest of the class is ready for a good lecture.

What really irks me is they use this teaching style in senior level classes too... quantum mechanics should not be taught this way

That being said, maybe I chose a shitty school
While that may be true (learning by yourself, YouTube, etc) I think the main reason people go to college is for that extra something, maybe professional expertise from teachers, access to labs, to share ideas and such. Not to sit in a class

>mfw american education

paying to teach yourself, a classic scam

i guess this is the thread for me...
im a freshman going to OSU and holy shit these classes are retarded. i liked my last calc class, but i failed it because of stupid desicions on my part, and now im retaking it with a different instructor and she has us do the shitty clicker questions on our phones FOR CREDIT. as in if i dont answer these queztions on my phone, in class, ill get a lower grade. whats more, she says she'll only be spending 30 minutes out of each 50 minute lecture to lecture, the other 20 is "self guided learning". thats the kind of shit that i had to do in chemistry 121, but i expected it there not in a math class. how do i survive this without blowing my brains out?

that's not fair at all
I had a female math prof once and shit was hard af, maybe I'm just stupid

what does her being female have anything to do with it?

Nothing, she was milf-type tho
I wish I aced that class so I could impress her

>how do i survive this without blowing my brains out?
bomb the school and kill the whore bitchslut

You are going to college for the degree, not the education. However much you learn is up to you.

My physical chem class had this, except it was only hour long classes, and he didnt lecture at all, it was all group work

This a thousand times. It just so happens that the college system has a near monopoly on professional certification and people have been memed into believing there is no other way. They're an obsolete middleman. It's just the misfortune of the last few generations that we have to put up with their bullshit while receiving no actual education in return.

Just try to make your groups fail by acing every exam, raising your credibility, then forcing into your brainlet squads subtle intentional logical falacies like "breh just L'Hospital this [math]\frac{\infty}{0}[/math] limit", "[math]ln(0) = 0[/math]" or my favorite "[math]\frac{de^{ax}}{dx} = xe^{ax}[/math]". Lecturer will get exposed as a shit teacher and get fired.

No way in fucking hell this is real.
Either she is a new retard professor or you're in some shitty Applied Calc for Business majors or some shit.
If you're in a CC, switch to another one immediately.

>> Texas State
>State
Oh shit you fucked up

Nah. I go for the education. Fuck the degree

Taking it in CC cause it's cheaper. Too late to switch. So far it's actually not that bad, just got out. She explains a short general concept, then sends us off to practice for a few minutes and repeat till class ends.

My group happens to all be cs majors besides me, so we get along well. Our system is to each do the problem separately then compare answers. If any of us gets it wrong, we as a group go step by step to see where the member may have strayed. So far we all fucked up on certain things but ended up collectively getting the concepts right once broken down.

That being said, if we get split up I'm not so hopeful. Some of the other groups just kinda sat there confused as shit cause they all drew a blank on certain problems.

Personally it helps explain the concepts way better than if she were just droning on as we can practice while we learn, and my members help point out easier ways to apply things.

Sorry for answering late.
>Taking it in CC cause it's cheaper.
Good decision
>Rest of post
Well, if you can just pass the time and help each other in the meantime, then I guess it is all good.
Since you now also know what professor should not take.

Fuck off to pol

ANNNNNDDD HHEESS OUTTT OFF THEREEEEEEEEEEE

>she
Why did you make this thread? If you felt it was relevant to mention your professor's gender then you already know damn well what the problem is.

Pick better professors, and remember:
>15% of women fuck their bosses for promotions
businessinsider.com/sex-is-killing-the-workplace-2010-8

This means that any woman in any position of power is basically an incompetent whore who did the bare minimum to enter a field and then started sucking dick until they landed into a full-time professor (or better) spot.

All your female professors are good at is sucking dick. But they have no obligation to suck your dick, so they tell you to teach yourself while she goes off to suck the dean's dick.

> 15%
> any women

Talk about being this retarded

I said any women in a position of power, you raging retard.

If women fuck for status, that means that the women with status are the ones who sucked dick to get there. You seriously can't do that little deduction in your head? Talk about being a brainlet.

So every female teacher? Wow, your starting your 2018 acting like a mix of a reeeeetardo and a little bitch, user. Go see a doctor to get that checked

I love how you can pretend to be right even though I posted evidence while at you have is you feels.

>W-what? Women are whores. IT CANNOT BE. I FEEL THE INTENSE NEED TO WHITE KNIGHT FOR WOMEN I WILL NEVER MEET.

Please, my good friend. Remember that white-knighting posts are meant for reddit. And it is time for you to go back.

Who gives a fuck about sjw? I'm just shittying on your low tier logic.

Not every woman in a position of power got there by suckling dick. By probability that's just impossible. Shut the fuck up with your PC

>sjw
Wew lad. Didn't even mention that. Those pesky Freudian slips!

Anyways, glad to see you still feel the need to white knight on the internet for women you'll never meet, and against the statistical data I provided. I bet this must look amazing on your tinder profile right next to "Be the first girl to swipe right on me!". Just, the thought of a guy who white knights on Veeky Forums on a Friday must get those panties wet.

It is just so weird that every time you post something the thought of "sad virgin retard" comes to my mind. It makes no sense, as you must be drowning in pussy.

Now, that's more like it. Finally, a post that doesn't scream reddit. Keep it up, mate.

What about the 85% that dont suck dick for promotions?

They stay at their entry-level position. Probably an endless postdoc teaching pre-calc eternally.

*citation required*
gb2 r/theredpill you slug

That's what the data says. I am sorry statisticians don't take into account your feels in their calculation. That's just how life is.

I'm also sad to see you going back to white knighting. I was happy to see that my words inspired you to stop being such a shitty poster, but it only lasted for two posts. I guess some things just never change.

By the way, what is r/theredpill? I'm sorry I am not as knowledgeable about reddit as you are. You are going to have to teach a newbie.

>he thinks im the same guy

That's not the norm: drop that nonsense. People get stupider in groups, not smarter.

Transfer schools. That's a big red flag that tells you you go to a shit tier uni.

I had a courses where they "flipped the classroom", I found it a welcome change. Class was infinitely more engaging.

Talking to the professor about it years later, he said the results weren't much different from when he was just lecturing. Lazy people are still going to be lazy and the method only works if people prepare for class. It's also just not practical for classes with a large amount of material.

>it's based on the misguided notion that the reason some students always do better than others is nothing related to nature
But we're not talking about actually difficult material, we're talking about undergraduate shit that basically anyone can understand with some effort. The primary difference between good and bad students is work ethic, which I suppose could be part of "nature" but I suspect is more related to motivation and upbringing

>being the "Lysenkoism" bot

>liked my last calc class, but i failed it because of stupid desicions on my part
You're a brainlet. Clicker is there to force you to attend class, if that bothers you, try passing the class so you won't have to attend it a third time.

>reddit spacing
Kys my man

What kind of brainlet fails a calc class?

Absolutely unacceptable. A single dumbass in your group could affect your grade considerably. Drop it.

This goes for everyone, you're paying to be taught in class not to teach yourself in class. That's what homework and studying is for. If you have a class that does that then drop it. If it's more than one, consider going to a better school.

Complaining

About

Reddit

Spacing

Is

The

Mark

Of

A

Redditor

I want 15% of women to suck my dick for a promotion!

What incentive does the A-student have to spend his or her time helping worse students?

>she
found the problem

What the fuck do you happen to go to school in very cold place because that was exactly my experience with a "Silvia"

A retarded white knight like you will never be in a position of power, so that will never happen to you.

>simply want to help women exploit themselves
>this makes me a white knight
you probably just don't know what the word means

>CAR SIT MOAR
noice

Holy shit, last name begin with "K"?

>Take 300 stats
>prof reads off of slides that are pictures of the book
>requires attendance
>requires hw turned in groups of 3

No thanks

>being a buttblasted redditor
you need to go back

Female math professors tend to make the class more enjoyable and less strict.

> applying marxist theory to grades

You learn by teaching.

> Texas State
I feel bad for you. I have a bunch of buddies who went there. I hear the parties are cool though.

>not going for both

Spotted the guy at a school ranked > 10

GO

BACK

TO

REDDIT

Is learning fundamentally different from high school to University? People who think they know how people learn say this is the way to do it.

We do that for PChem and it literally never works.

t. Reddit

Sounds like you should have applied to UTSA instead.

Do you get marked down for missing class sessions? If not, you can self study your way through just fine using online resources and a good textbook. I'm about to enter upper div mathematics and I've pretty much self-studied my way through everything except for some shit in calc 3 and differential equations

This only works if the people you're teaching actually want to learn. I would rather go teach community college students working full time than some dumbass who spends his nights going out and getting drunk.

Shit I was going to transfer to OSU but maybe I'll just go to OIT

But what if I dont like working or learning in groups?