98% fail this test

98% fail this test.
Fitting as only like 3% of the worlds current population fall under the category of "genius".

Lets see if the basement dwelling NEETs of Veeky Forums can solve it.

>Only for genius??
No.

There I solved it

3x6=18
3-18+2=-13

Is it really that common that people don't know BODMAS? It's taught in like 5th grade here.

I was taught PEMDAS but they are really just different names for the same system.

>tfw only 3% of the population has finished third grade

3 - 3 = 0
0 * 6 = 0
0 + 2 = 0
the answer is 0

op is genius - 100-98=3

this
only brainlets don't know you're supposed to multiply first

-1/12

3-3x5+2 = ??

3-15+2 = ?^2

-10 = ?^2

Therefore: ? = i*sqrt(10)

>American education so backwards that solving an order of operations math is considered genius.

Wow you understand 5th grade order of operations. Congrats. Make sure you mock all the 4th graders that youre intellectually superior to as "brainlets"

Obviously he meant that even the lower third of geniuses can't solve it.

multiplication have scary ghost parentheses

BODMAS it up you faggots!

>inb4

>>faggot
>>why the homophobia?

3 - 3x6 + 2 = ??
3 - 18x + 2 = 2?
18x + 1 = 2?
x = (2? - 1)/18

>?? = ? + ?
troggered

0x8=8

6 because the arrow is pointing from the 6 to the answer box

3 - 3x6 + 2 = x
3 - 18 + 2 = x
3 - 20 = x
-17 = x

herr derr I'll settle for 97th percentile.

Made me stop for a sec. Jej.

it's impossible, the result is a negative number

3-3x6+2=
3-18+2=
-15+2=

-13 or -17 because you didn't use parens.
The ambiguity is from the addition and subtraction, not the multiplication, dipshit.

But neither of them will solve this problem without ambiguity because the order of operations doesn't tell you to add or subtract first.

>European education is so backwards that you think knowing the order of operations removes ambiguity from this problem

wow it is impossible cos negative nbers are shocking!!!

"Culture fair" IQ tests in a nutshell.

Exactly true, they mean the exact same thing.

When a problem does not use parantheticals then it is assumed th at you you solve from left to right as presented. As there is no other context to tell us that we should do something else, we solve left to right. Remember that "pemdas" and "bodmas" are three step orders of operations.

>it's impossible, the result is a negative number
Kek

>It is assumed th at you you solve from left to right as presented.
That's one fucked up sentence, but no, it's not. You might assume this because of your native language, and lots of computer programs assume this because of their parser implementation, but it is not a formal part of the order of operations.

>or 17

You sure you're on the right board fren?

3 - (3*6) + 2
3 - 18 + 2
3 - (18 + 2)
You're the one on the wrong board, buddy.

"Th at" should be "that" and my phone put "you" twice. If you couldnt parse it I imagine its due to your mongoloid nature. While it may not fit your definition of a "formal rule" its what the vast majority of children are taught and is considered to be the defualt whenever a problem is presented in a way that would otherwise leave ambuguity.

answer is false

Which is why along with pemdas you’re taught MD and AS as units and they’re to be done left to right

I clearly did parse it, hence my response, brainlet.

Kek, I'd love to see your attempts at solving recursive/stacked exponents.
Solve LTR : 2^2^3
Now type it into a calculator.

Doesn't substruction go before the addition?

>Solve LTR : 2^2^3
You said you could parse it, then you asked this thinking youre clever, revealing agin, your mongoloid nature.

Why would it? Subtraction is the reverse of addition, its the same operation, and therfore the same step.

then why is division before multiplication?

is it -13 or am I literally retarded?

Same response, you dont do division before multiplication, its the same operation only reversed so its the same step. The order of operations has three steps, not six.

it's not. you can do it from left to right or right to left.

it doesn't matter

ex. 2*3/6

(2 * 3)/6 = 1
2 * (3/6) = 1

Kek, you're too dumb to solve exponents.

As has already been said, if a problem still then leaves ambiguity you should solve from left to right, a problem should not leave such ambiguity, but again, when it does you should solve left to right.

It would be 3 + (-18 + 2)

You can't just slap parenthesis wherever you want.

At least that user can read and/or follow a reply chain. You've clearly failed one or both of these things.

are you serious? where did you got that brackets? kek

How do you ended school if you think that addition has higher priority than substruction? They are equal!!

I think the program was called "no child left behind" even though a more accurate discription would be "everyone gets a certificate that says 'they gots the learnin done' even if they are litrally potatoes"

The answer is 6

Yeah? How so? Show your work .

Because the arrow says put 6 in the blank.

3-3=0 x 6=0+2=0 because you can't add, subtract, multiply or divide by 0. I always remember that rule in my head

U riht

You're fucking dumb, yes you can. If you multiply or divide by 0 it's zero, if you add or subtract is the same. My life you absolute brainlet

3x6=18
18-3=15+2
ALL YOU ABSOLUTE BRAINLETS LIKE WHAT IN THE WORLD MAN

Anyone that didn't get 17, leave this board. Please, I beg of you.

It's 2 you retards negative numbers don't count

3-3x6+2
3-18+2
5-18
I win.

>negative numbers don't count
This is whe grist for our malady mill known as /pol

Did I go to the only school that taught PEDMAS but also added that addition and substraction are actually the same tier and should be done left to right

Fuck you, go back to elementary school!

No, lol. PEMDAS is only three steps and the "left to right" part on applies if the question would otherwise be left ambiguous, which it should not be. PEMDAS is more like PE,MD,AS. If anyone tries to confuse you with "BODMAS" or something it means the exact same thing. MD are just the same operations forward and backwards, same is true for AS.

3-(18+2) = 3+(-18)+(-2)
(3-18)+2 = 3+(-18)+2

>0+2 = 0
guy...

acording to my 137 iq the answer is "?"
think about it

x=(5-??)/18

correct?

What the fuck. There is so much wrong with you.

Actually it is P,E,DM,AS.

Boy, wait 2 years, when you will leave elementary school, they should teach negative numbers.

No its not, google it.

Isn't it just 2^8? Answer being 64.

Its zero if you do it the common core way, and -13 the PEMDAS my. My school taught both.

do people really not understand subtraction wtf

>2^8 = 64
genius detected

You cannot divide by 0.

>P and E are equal
So you're saying

2^(2+3)
= 2^2 + 3
= 4 + 3
=7
?

Trying to convince us that negative numbers are really a thing.

1. exponents and roots
2. multiplication and division
3. addition and subtraction
These are the steps of the order of operations, subhuman.

Mnemonics are often used to help students remember the rules, involving the first letters of words representing various operations. Different mnemonics are in use in different countries.

In the United States, the acronym PEMDAS is common. It stands for Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication, Division, Addition, Subtraction. PEMDAS is often expanded to the mnemonic "Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally".
Canada and New Zealand use BEDMAS, standing for Brackets, Exponents, Division, Multiplication, Addition, Subtraction.
Most common in the UK, India and Australia are BODMAS meaning Brackets, Of or Order, Division, Multiplication, Addition and Subtraction. Nigeria and some other West African countries also use BODMAS. Similarly in the UK, BIDMAS is used, standing for Brackets, Indices, Division, Multiplication, Addition and Subtraction.
These mnemonics may be misleading when written this way. For example, using any of the above rules in the order "addition first, subtraction afterward" would incorrectly evaluate the expression

10 − 3 + 2.

The correct value is 9 (and not 5, as if the addition would be carried out first and the result used with the subtraction afterwards).

I know the order of operations retards, said that parentheses (brackets) and exponents (order, indices) are equal.

Parentheses have priority over everything, that is literally their purpose. If exponents were equal to parentheses then basic maths goes to shit.

Take 2^(2+3) using his rules as an example.

>1st take parentheses and exponents, ordered left to right
2^(2+3) => 4+(3)
>2nd take multiplication and division, ordered left to right
there is no multiplication or addition
>finally take addition and subtraction, ordered left to right
4+3=7.

2^(2+3) isn't equal to 7 though, it is equal to 32 because parentheses have priority over exponents. Here is how we actually do it

>1st do whatever is inside the brackets
(2+3) = 5
>2nd do exponents
2^5 = 32
>no more operations to do
2^(2+3)=32

Are those of you who are arguing over order of operations still in middle school, or are you just special needs? You are missing the problem completely.
Do the multiplication first so that it becomes
3-18+2
From here, we have 2 options which is what you are getting caught on. We can either subtract first, or add first like so.
3-(18+2)
(3-18)+2
Just think about this for ten seconds please, and you will see that these are equivalent to the following
3-(18+2) = 3+(-18)+(-2) which is wrong
(3-18)+2 = 3+(-18)+2 the correct equation
Please don't make me explain this further.

Take this Facebook crap out of here.

Another meme pic for low self-esteem engineers

True master race mathematicians know why there's room for ambiguity.

> get rekt kid

How exactly does 3 subtract fifteen result in negative ?
>15 apples
>take 3 away
>now in debt 13 apples

lmao

man, are you serious?

>the current state of Veeky Forums
Terrible, you completely fucked your trolling up. You're supposed to include a visually ambiguous division operation so that you can maintain plausibly deniability and call any answer wrong.

>Implying I didn't

Ok.

Left to right, like literally everything in the western world.