This is joke right? You can’t be this autistic and obsessed with proving silly creepypastas aren’t real

This is joke right? You can’t be this autistic and obsessed with proving silly creepypastas aren’t real.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falsifiability
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russell's_teapot
edge.org/conversation/brian_cox-is-there-a-higgs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>No evidence has been shown that would allow for ghosts to exist based on my pure physicalist worldview
>Therefore ghosts don't exist
How obnoxious

I’m not arguing for their existence but this just plain lunacy. It’s like me measuring the height of a thousand dogs just to prove Clifford doesn’t exist.

We don’t have proof of aliens, therefore aliens don’t exist. Look at me I’m a scientist. (I actually am one, lol)

So by these exact same metrics, he disproved string theory too, right?

>obsessed
Where are you getting obsessed from?

>silly creepypastas
It's a widely held belief. The link to the evidence is right in your screenshot. Moron.

>renowed physicist
>a fucking moron

B-But scientists are so smart rirte? :^)

I feel like doing a study and writing a paper on something that no sane person would waste their time on can be considered obsessed.

>doing a study and writing a paper
Source? What study and what paper?

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Besides, ghosts are meta-physical. There are not cohesive or repeatable laws that control them, so it would be impossible for a scientist to study them

Depends on which flavor of moron is making the claim about ghosts. Some people say ghosts can move objects in the physical world, speak, control humans, etc. In such cases they are absolutely disproven.

Not really, maybe they exist in a smaller wavelength than the LHC can experiment

>In such cases they are absolutely disproven.
>Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
Stop being an autist.

That's not an absence of evidence, it's evidence. It proves ghosts aren't real. You're retarded.

If that were the case then they wouldn't be able to interact with the world in detectable ways. You can't just say "oh they're at a smaller wavelength" but then also say they can knock over objects, which is a macroscopic phenomenon.

>If that were the case then they wouldn't be able to interact with the world in detectable ways.

That doesnt disprove their existence, there can be objects that exists and we cannot detect

>but then also say they can knock over objects

Maybe its not a singe ghost that knocks an object, but a whole gang that forms the enough energy to knock it

lmao. Veeky Forums believes in ghosts. ww

Yeah I don't need a refresher on the mental gymnastics of religious people. I'm aware that you can always backpedal to a newer, vaguer claim. Ghosts don't exist though, and anyone who believes they do is retarded.

So, why no one detected gangs of ghosts? Or how are they calling each other for help? Do microscopic ghosts have mind to be social beings?

Boo hoo, funny to see how the possibility of unknown conflicts your rationalist dogma

>Ghosts don't exist though
Prove it

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falsifiability
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russell's_teapot
Educate yourself, and fuck off back to /pol/ in the meantime

>Ghosts don't exist though
They do I've seen one. They can't be proven through the scientific method because their appearances are unique events and thus can't be reproduced.

>b-burden of proof

Lmao you dont even know logic, truth statements have no difference, A or not A are the same thing in substance, theres no reason to not be a able to prove negative statements if they are really false.

You can never assert that ghosts dont exist and you will have live with that, kiddo.

No, Veeky Forums is smart enough to know the events aren’t reproducible and therefore cannot be proven or disproven with the scientific method. Autists reeeeeing about them existing or not existing doesn’t prove anything either.

You are an incredibly stupid person

>renowned physicist
>absence of evidence is evidence of absense
HAHAHA PHYSISHITS BTFO TOTAL RETARDS IN DAMAGE CONTROL

>missing the point
Never asserted that ghost exists

>babby learns that absence of evidence is not evidence of absence today
its ok sweetie

>heat doesn't come from the sun's radiation, but rather millions of invisible dragons breathing fire into the atmosphere
HAHAHA PHYSISHITS BTFO TOTAL RETARDS IN DAMAGE CONTROL

I agree, also we don't get energy from food, but rather small invisible goblins in our digestive tract that take the food and give us energy in exchange. This exchange cannot be detected, and the goblins create false trails to lead us away from the truth. This isn't reproducible and therefore cannot be proven or disproven with the scientific method.

Just like Newton who though that heat was an invisible fluid right? What a retard!

Are you even able to grasp the fact that people will laugh at some us scientific beliefs we have right now?

Dude, everyone knows science was finished in 2017. We now know everything there is to know about reality. We are the generation who has conclusively solved every scientific mystery, doesn't it feel good?

To think there are people on Veeky Forums who would actually sperg out when someone says ghosts don't exist... Is this what we've come to?

I agree, since we don't know for sure, any random statement someone makes might be true, and should be respected as such. Ghosts and souls are real, magic dragons heat the earth (which is flat), astrology and horoscopes are real, and so on.

Neonazis dropped the average IQ on this board and site by at least half.

Flat earth is scientifically proven wrong though.

bit different to immaterial beings m8, given we know of one instance of life.

That’s a retarded line of reasoning and you know it. We never knew anything like Quantum until we had it. We never had a huge ass apartment sized lizard until we found dinosaur fossils. Science doesn’t go by what an autist deems “stupid”

Christ you people are so fucking clueless.

The scientific method is not a world view, it's the only measurably, proven and reliable way to understand reality. Reality. As in, fucking everything. The LHC enables fine scrutiny of our reality beyond anything we've ever had before, basically making the existence of such disruptive and energetic events such as paranormal phenomena, simply mathematically impossible. Yes, not 100% impossible, but realistically it's still the same thing.

Most of the people in our world have no ability, ambition or even motivation to improve anything that matters. So when we have a few brilliant minds with decades of proof of their abilities and hard work, who actually CARE enough to try and educate the idiots who can through their votes influence the entire planet... all you can think of is responding with insults and ridicule? You fucking useless maggots, all of you.

Yes, I don't bother spending time debating religious and dualistic nut jobs who go "I believe in my make-believe world even though there's literally no proof at all and a hundred billion bits of information suggesting I'm wrong" either. People who, due to the complete lack of verifiable information can at BEST manage a random guess and opinion on how their imaginative dualistic world would work- which by its very fucking definition then, is statistically almost 100% likely to be WRONG. I don't debate them, because I consider it a waste of time, because to me, they're beyond redemption. Stupid people with their herd illusions and decades of stupid experiences don't just up and turn smart and educated because of a few fancy words. They've had decades of time to ignore education, knowledge and evidence, so trust me your fucking words aren't going to help shit.

But even then, I can at least respect the man for *trying* to reach people. To help them, educate them, and try to produce a better world as a result. No matter how fucking astronomically unlikely it is.

Heil reddit

I don’t believe in ghosts but here’s something someone said.

So he's basically saying there are no ghosts because ghosts haven't stuck their hands in a photon accelerator.

Either ghosts can on some level manipulate the physical, in which case why would they stick their hand in a particle accelerator? Shit be dangerous.

Or they can't manipulate the physical, in which case no amount of 'sensitivity' will pick it up.

Not saying ghosts are real or not real, just saying this argument is shitty is all.

The scientific method tells me you’re gay. I found your gay in the LHC.

How is such a case absolutely disproven?

If John says that he woke up one night, and saw a spooky ghost and it turned the crucifix in his room upside down, but then it went away and he never saw it again...how on earth can you possibly disprove that such a thing happened?

Cause ur dumb the lhc said so.

Are you really naive enough to think that humans have detected everything that can be detected? We haven't even cataloged most of the species on our planet.

And it gets even trickier when you start thinking about the metaphysical claims of ghosts. We are not longer studying unfeeling, repeatable, natural phenomena. You are studying phenomena that is "thinking", and could actively avoid detection. It would be like trying to find an alien species with technology far more advanced than our, that is actively trying to hide from us.

Nope. But we just recognize that the existence of ghosts isn't a question that can be reliably answered by science currently, or maybe ever.

Your time is better spent deriving new theories or testing existing ones than worrying about disproving ghosts.

You argue like a middle schooler.

Link him the wiki page on the scientific method next, or scream ad-hominem and you'll have completed the full fedora gauntlet.

If you can formulate a coherent theory of fire breathing dragons heating the earth that is consistent with current observations, there is indeed no reason to believe the sun theory is any more real than the dragon theory.

When you graduate highschool, you'll learn there are tons of equivalent formalisms in physics that have radically different philosophical interpretations.

>not ruling a possibility out means you believe that possibility must be true!

???

Im interested in how the theory of spirits possibly existing on a higher dimension is disproved.

Like if we lived on a 2D sheet of paper, and we can only detect (see / feel / whatever) them when they would interact with it from a 3D space.

The scientific method is not the only path to knowledge. Formal logic and mathematics exist, for example.

Secondly, you can simply be told something about reality (revelation). For example, an advanced alien species could visit us, and give us the cure for cancer. Then we would have a knowledge of a new drug, and we did not get that knowledge from the scientific method.

You could also just guess. The Greeks for example just basically guessed that matter was made up of atoms. It would take scientists 3,000 years to reach that point with the scientific method.

Point is, take off the fedora. Figure out some shit that interests you and study it. Stop worrying about telling everyone else how wrong they are until you have the evidence to prove it.

>Our machine didnt catch any ghosts
>Therefore, we proved ghosts dont exist
I dont think the machine detected water on Mars either, but that doesnt mean its impossible

>The scientific method is not the only path to knowledge.
it's the only path to knowledge about the real world

>Autists reeeeeing about them existing or not existing doesn’t prove anything either
Thank you. I dont care what side people are on, but the only "retarded" side to be on is being closed minded to any argument the other side makes.

There is no scientific evidence for ghosts. There is no evidence to disprove them entirely either. Unlikely to exist? Yes. Impossible to exist? No.

No it isn't. I can just tell you facts about the real world. Now you possess knowledge of the real world but you did not have to use the scientific method.

but that applies to everything

Yes

ITT: science cannot prove things objectively so it's useless and my retarded theories should be given the same amount of importance.

I also have seen a ghost, do you have contradictory evidence to my testimony?

Theology has produced more useful results than the scientific method has. The lifestyle we live is based in religious ideals.

Without that foundation, the scientific method would never have come about. From theology the idea of free speech comes about because it is part of free will.

Animals tend towards societies of domination and control while humans tend towards freedom. That is the branch of philosophy where the scientific method can arise.

>2018
>falsifiability criterion

Popper begone

Leave this board and study philosophy of science you tremendous ass

True, but you do not need evidence to disprove a claim that is not supported by evidence. Therefore it is a stupid topic, and we should just stop talking about it. Until any evidence of ghosts existing appears, it’s safe to assume that they do not exist.

Like tens of thousands of eye witness reports?

>ancestors thousands of years ago understand "ghosts" as literary devices to describe memories and emotional conflicts haunting them
>modern autists argue about whether these things are literally real or not
we haven't got smarter

>4 out of 10 Americans believe in ghosts
>no sane person would ever want to educate them
- (You)

>YOU CAN'T SEE GHOSTS BUT YOU CAN FUCKING WELL SEE THE BIG BANG YOU CUNTS." ~Prof. Brian Cox, Speaking at the Oxford Union, 2013

This reminds me of the Head of the Patent Office in America who resigned in 1856 ircc. He thought that there would be no new patents because everything had already been invented. There is so much we don't know. That is what the LHC is trying to discover and there is no reason to believe that we will ever discover any of the things that we in fact wish to discover. And if that makes you feel sad you are an even bigger idiot for it.

If you state that ghosts don't exist you need evidence. Where's the evidence?

They are really trying to justify this useless turd which has done nothing but waste electricity

"I would say if there's some kind of substance that's driving our bodies, making my arms move and legs move, then it must interact with the particles out of which our bodies are made. And seeing as we've made high precision measurements of the ways that particles interact, then my assertion is there can be no such thing as an energy source that's driving our bodies."

What did Cocks mean by this?

Meaningless drivel.

He’s saying he needs an energy source. Someone give him anal.

Someone explain to me, on the assumption it is possible for ghosts to exist or not exist, HOW this could prove anything other than there is not a ghost in the LHC?

Intredasting.
edge.org/conversation/brian_cox-is-there-a-higgs
>The mark of a scientist is that they're not attached to their ideas. They're attached to the truth. I use that word quite lightly, as well, because philosophically I would find it difficult to say that anything we know about the universe is correct in some sense—a truth would be the wrong word. What it is is the best description we have, and we know that every description we have of nature is not complete. We know that. We know how gravity is not understood. We know that the standard model is incomplete, at least you need something like the Higgs. Even then there are problems that rear their heads, that Higgs doesn't explain everything by a long way.

I thought he was obsessed with instantaneous action at a distance and then he got scolded by his betters.

Jesus Christ you utter retard. You haven't a single piece of evidence to support your worldview. My aunt saw a ghost telling her to go check on my cousin. Cousin was shocking and was saves.

I have a piece of evidence. Might be wrong but it is more than you have.

>If you state that ghosts don't exist you need evidence. Where's the evidence?
None have been observed. There is no physical explanation of why they'd have to exist or what they're made of. Saging because this thread deserves it.

>From theology the idea of free speech comes about because it is part of free will
...that's just... you don't... Jesus fuck

That story has as much credance as me saying that you have never even been touched by a girl.

>Animals tend towards societies of domination and control while humans tend towards freedom
You hear about animals escaping the zoo all the time, when is the last time a human escaped a zoo?

Not really. It has as much credence as me saying I have had sex. Could be wrong or made up, but it is better than nothing.

>he doesnt understand the need of mitology, religion,metaphysics beliefs in society
>he thinks everyone is an autistic rationalist as him

Humans are too complex for you babby

>There are not cohesive or repeatable laws

No known cohesive or repeatable laws. It's perfectly possible that the paranormal is governed by physical laws that can be proven and demonstrated.

I'm not saying paranormal stuff exists but if it does it's probably subject to some kind of physics 'n stuff.

You're right, there's no reason to believe in ghosts, but that's not the point of the thread. The point is that an actual famous scientist claimed that there was actual proof that ghosts don't exist, which there isn't. It's the kind of statement that makes it appear that Cox has no fucking clue what he's talking about.

What a non-scientific post.

You niggers need to go to /x

No retard, he claimed that there was still no evidence and that where there should be there is not.

>proving something isnt real.
Thats not how proof works

This is what Cox actually said and it's quite reasonable too:

"If we want some sort of pattern that carries information about our living cells to persist then we must specify precisely what medium carries that pattern and how it interacts with the matter particles out of which our bodies are made. We must, in other words, invent an extension to the Standard Model of Particle Physics that has escaped detection at the Large Hadron Collider. That’s almost inconceivable at the energy scales typical of the particle interactions in our bodies."

He then replied with a simple "Yes" when asked in a tongue-in-cheek manner by Neil Tyson whether this disproves ghosts. This isn't something to get flustered about.

As usual, the media is exagerating the words of a scientist, thanks for clearing that up

Technically, it can't. Science is not absolute.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Ok, user, what if, hear me out, what if, there's a giant undetectable mass of adipose tissue surrounding your mom? I, mean, how could you say your mom isn't a fat cow if it's just detectable?! By the same logic, you're algo a faggot who craves ghost dick up his ass.