Was mathematics discovered or invented?

Was mathematics discovered or invented?

Math comes from logic, and logic comes from causality. So it was discovered.

Bam, just solved a 1000 year old question in 2 minutes.

Both.

Calculus, geometry, algebra to an extent etc are just formalities of discovered physical phenomena.

But much of modern math is theoretical, based on nothing real. Its invented.

>pic semi related
jewy michio cucku shilling a soundbyte so he can appear intellectual and sell books

oops

You invent the axioms and then discover properties by logical deduction. Its not hard

What are the fundamental axiom of math?

The leap from those axioms to theories can be exceedingly large.

Also mathematics is FULL of all kimds of possible, allowed paths to go and it needs a human intuition to choose the useful category to work in.

Just because axioms aren't proven doesn't mean they're invented. The more typical interpretation is that they're self-evident i.e. discovered.

Actually most of the time you have some theorem in mind and you chose the right axioms to make it work

That op is a faggot

this, ZFC itself is pretty much a pathetic attempt to rescue set """theory""" and anal-ysis

What's so pathetic about it?

even when we consider an argument that math comes from the way human brain works i. e. reasoning, nobody sat here and invented a way the brain should work. One methods of thinking turned out to be better for our purposes, that is receiving correct information about the world.

It was, like, discovented bro

The more low-level portions of math are invented and then higher-level portions of math are discovered results of the invented math. Math is for brainlets and brainlet CS fags will make math disappear with their stupid math-machines.

Mathematics is a priori synthetic.

Aristotlean realism is the answer
> mathematics is the study of abstract quantity and structure

Godel's proof

Thanks, anons! I never knew that this debate that's been going on for centuries had such simple answers! You guys are smart!

Invented after the dawn of linguistics. Circa 50,000 years B.C.

>A caveman has 2 stones and writes the number "2"
>Another caveman came home with 2 more stones
>Okay, you have 2, I have 2... Let's call our collection "4"
>"2...4. 24?" "No, it's only 4. Um..."

>Symbols were invented
>"Okay hold these two stones. Now come here and put them in my spot."
>"Okay we'll call the action of you coming over "+"
>*Points to the ground* "This 4."
>2+24 "What..."
>"You smell. Go back to your spot. Haha you have no stones on your spot."
>"Oh shit! We'll call the resting spot of these stones "="
>2+2=4
>KMS

He was BTFO by non-Euclidean geometry.

Math is based on axioms one could create arbitrarily. Therefore it was invented.

Discovered as an artifact of human perception, in a way similar to color, but clearly the language used to describe both things was invented.

It is discovered if you are a brainlet idealist/
And invented if you are a materialist master race.

Discovered. Mathematical notiation =/= mathematics. Anyone who claims mathematics is a formal game or a language misses the fact that an identifier and what it identifies are not one and the same thing. "Chair" is not a chair.

Kant was a solipsistic (in his methodology) brainlet. Never post that man here again. He is the father of theory-fiction (= system of thought that is highly speculative/has very little to do with how the world really is; he is to philosophy what science fiction is to science) and the reason why philosophy is held in disdain today.

Kek

irrelevant, but if you absolutely need an answer, this guy has got you:

Came to post this.

>discovery vs invention

Obviously if you're able to patent it it's because you invented or created it. Which is why when I sent my DNA to 23 andme they told me they now hold the patent on my DNA and then proceeded to say "Who's your daddy? I'm your daddy now bitch." Which is weird, I didn't even ask for a paternity test.

'no'

Math itself is a human invention, but the inspiration comes from the human perception of reality.

Invented axioms, discovered properties

> all the brainlets ITT
Read Aristotle, ya plebs. Aristotelian realism is the true foundation for maths
> mathematics is the study of abstract quantity and structure
Four objects have six unique pairs. This is a fact which we then use mathematical notation to represent abstractly

>not being a honest to God platonist

>jewy michio cucku
yes the "jewy" japanese guy

can /pol fucking leave? how are you smart enough to read /sci and still this retarded?

>mart enough to read /sci
TOP KEK

I thought the whole point of 23andme was tell you that you are part Jew and part nig and to therefore demoralise you and make you care less about preserving the white race that your great ancestors fought to build up.