youtube.com/watch?v=ugfCkqXdBok
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noether's_theorem
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

change.

A useful abstract tool used to describe physics we havent figured out yet

The capacity to do work.

mc^2

The capacity to do work

Think of your own brain and the thoughts stored within. You have the potential to access a wide array of memories and stored information at will, i.e. potential energy. When you access them, you are undergoing cognition which is the transformation of potential into kinetic energy. So energy, and consciousness, represent change, just like says.

Not op, but curious as well. Energy is technically heat right? heat is a by product of moving electrons but also is used to energize other things chemically? Is it one or the other or jsut the nature of the situation?

>Energy is technically heat right?
No. Heat is just ONE form of energy (thermal energy). A cold object moving through a cold void has energy (kinetic energy) but no heat. Chemical energy is stored in chemical bonds between atoms forming molecules even at ultra-low temperatures, etc.

What is banana?

No one really knows, it just is...

The power to actualize potentiality

Higgs field coupling with other fields

no, that's entropy.

Should have said
The capacity to actualize potentiality
Brb g2g kms

energy is the amount of motion.
energy of complex objects is sum of motion of their particles (i. e. mass).

Energy. Is.

no that is "inertia". Entropy does not exist.
yes.

its just a whole lot of work.

Newton called momentum "the quantity of motion."

ENERGY IS THE CAPACITY TO DO WORK.

so energy of the system is the difference in momentum for each elements. and the ""work"" is the momentum transfer
the system of two particles moving in parallel with the same speed appear to have 0 energy

No one knows and anyone who says they do is lying.

nope

in thermal equilibrium there is energy but no capability to do work

Idk man, God maybe? Magic. that's what it essentially is to me. Understood magic, but fucking magic yo

Energy is quantitative causality.

gradients

>appear to have
Not appears, HAS zero energy. It might still have momentum, tho, if the particles have mass.

Energy is a scalar quantity associated with temporal symmetry in the laws of physics. The functional form which describes the energy of some configuration of matter is the Hamiltonian, and the classical behavior of matter under the influence of forces is described by Hamilton's equations. In quantum theory, the Hamiltonian generates the flow of time - in the sense that the information of a system at any time can be exactly specified (in principle) by the Hamiltonian and the information of the system at any previous time.

Any quantum system with a continuous temporal symmetry will maintain the same value of Energy which describes it at all times, i.e. it is a conserved quantity.

That's misleading, since in thermodynamics work is associated with pressure or volume changes. At any finite temperature you'll have local fluctuations of pressure/volume of a characteristic size which undoubtedly change the energy density. A system in equilibrium is not a static system at all.

>The capacity to do work.

this.

dafuq is this picture

what is work then?

Boring. I tend to play video games instead.

force-distance in a direction

Energy IS work you nigger

shut up

[math]\int \vec{F} \cdot d\vec{S}[/math] or [math]\int \vec{F} \cdot \vec{v} dt[/math]

a force does work when there's a displacement due to the force

In quantum mechanics, energy is related to the rate of phase change in your wavefunction. So I like to think of it as the capacity of a system to change over time.

Ammunition against the flat-earth CIA niggers.

T'is but the verbs verbing

its what autists call change

>Watt is energy?

ftfy

i want to kick that thing in the teeth

inertia is the resistance to change

this
youtube.com/watch?v=ugfCkqXdBok

Energy is the generator of unitary evolution

Its the quantity which stays constant with the propagation of a mechanical system that yields from a special kind of potential (which itself is a function that generates force)

what is a force?

by Newton: mass-acceleration
acceleration: change in velocity over time
velocity: change in position over time
So force is the mass-change in change in position over time
just do dimensional analysis, that's how I did everything in first year physics

>potential energy doesn't exist

american moron
read a book

Autism. Ask STEMfags to explain, and they just pull more meaningless definitions out their asses.

Yeah I came in with the saw ouu
Yeah I sold crack in the halls ya

one word verses everyone's answer that equates to the same word. For what purpose?

Yes, that is why inertia dictates it, without it there would be no change. Inertia is what causes entropy not to occur and the cycle to continue. It is balanced to never begin or end with inertia being the "never begging" aspect and change being "never ending".

gz, the universe is in energetic equilibrium prima facea. the question is, what constraint exist on "useful" structures of energy?

The thing that powers up time

consciousness

Energy is the quantity conserved in a system with time translation symmetry.
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noether's_theorem

You know, those concepts are usefull in theoretical physics as abstractions, but don't give a lot intuition. But I bet your little dick gets all wet cause you know basic analytical mechanics.

Energy is that which is conserved with time.

Without time-translational symmetry, you can't even do science. If a theory didn't obey some sort of time translational-symmetry (and therefore has some quantity we can call 'Energy'), then me doing an experiment today and getting result A doesn't guarantee that you can do the same experiment and get result A tomorrow.

If there is physics that doesn't obey this, then we can't learn about it because there'd be no repeatedly testable predictions to corroborate on.