Gass's The Tunnel was to literature what Einstein's E=mc2 was to the science and Picasso's Les Demoiselles d'Avignon...

Gass's The Tunnel was to literature what Einstein's E=mc2 was to the science and Picasso's Les Demoiselles d'Avignon was to the painting. A revolutionary landmark. And Strauss, and Planck, and Matisse, and Kandinsky, and Malevich, and Freud, and Bergson. These revolutionaries changed our vision of the world and human soul between 1900 and 1995. A radical turn in the history of culture.

So...remind me again why you haven't read America's foremost prose stylist?

Susan G. Komen's setters fuck

this is why literature is considered the lowest form of art

>has to make themselves feel better by comparing his favorite old fart writer to other artists.

Pathetic.

But i have. I prefer omensetters luck desu famalam.

I forced myself to read it through once which was kind of an error since I feel I ruined my enjoyment of it, although some pages were jaw-droppingly amazing in terms of style. I mean, I'm a /pol/-tard who beats his wife and children and I even felt like weeping at how beautiful it was. Literature has never made me do that, not once before or after, made me want to cry from the sheer beauty of the style alone. Not Joyce, not Updike, not Shakespeare, maybe Milton in Paradise Lost. I've been awed but never moved almost to tears by good style except by The Tunnel.

But yeah, a lot of the rest of it was a slog. I feel it's worth a re-read by me though. I feel like it's a book it's better to have a copy of to read slowly, having checked it out from the library forced me to rush and thus lose enjoyment.

Gass sucks lmfao

Joyce will always be the 20th century's best and most important writer

I'm going to read The Tunnel soon, how difficult is it?
Will read no matter what, just want to know what I'm in for.

Rank these:
Joyce
Proust
Musil
Broch
Mann
Beckett
Faulkner
Woolf
Hemingway
Steinbeck
Nabokov
Orwell
DeLillo
Gass
Pynchon
McCarthy
Wallace
Gaddis
Mcelroy
Kafka
Borges
Bolano

Stop beating your wife and children, famalam

>rank

Joyce 5
Proust
Musil
Broch
Mann
Beckett 7
Faulkner 9
Woolf6
Hemingway
Steinbeck
Nabokov 8
Orwell
DeLillo 10
Gass 4
Pynchon 3
McCarthy
Wallace
Gaddis 2
Mcelroy1
Kafka
Borges
Bolano

I dont read books not originally written in english

1: Proust
2-22: Everyone else/who cares

Why is Veeky Forums about how many people you've read?

Why are practically all of these people the same as are always memed on Veeky Forums?

Even if I have read about all but 2 or 3 of these (which I have), why would I waste time ranking them?

Why do you assume that someone would have read equal amounts of all of them, or even that they've read them recently? For instance, I feel much more qualified to talk about Pynchon or Faulkner then I do to talk about Orwell and Steinbeck, who I read small amounts of in high school. Thus, I don't feel like ravaging my memory to decide who exactly is the best and who a little less better and who worse etc.

Why would anyone waste time ranking this?

just kidding, senpai. Read The Tunnel, it's a great book.

The answer is steinbeck

Gass is fucking incredible. The Tunnel literally changed my life.

Is it best to start with his short stories?

Start with Middle C

What's better the Tunnel or Recognitions? (I'm deciding which 'big' American novel to read next)

Gass wrote the introduction for The Recognitions but Gass also is still living. I've only read The Tunnel so I hope this helps.

Missed you, Gassposter

The Tunnel is the best meme book,

650 pages of pure Veeky Forumscore.

Belly full of GAS looking nigga

1: Tolstoy.
2-23: Everyone else.

Gass himself recommends starting with on being blue