Who decided that the title for Hitlers "My Struggle" should be left untranslated as "Mein Kampf"?

Who decided that the title for Hitlers "My Struggle" should be left untranslated as "Mein Kampf"?

Why are the titles of some foreign books translated, and others not?

It just sounds better in German

Because the unknown scares people

Because that way it can't be relateable. Mein Kampf sounds scarier and less approachable to an English audience.

why is the republic called the republic when republic comes from latin and it was written in greek centuries before romans subjugated them

So middle-schoolers can look it up on Wikipedia and tell people what it really means.

Because people would work out it's about art school whining if you translated it. Honestly, would you pick up any book called My Struggle? Would you expect it to be written by a female minority or Hitler? Exactly. Even anti-fascists need Hitler to not be that much of a bitch.

Have you ever even read it?

Because a white man will never know what true struggle is.

Because they don't want potential buyers to mistake it for Knausgaard's.

Because keeping the word "struggle" untranslated makes it scarier. See "Jihad".

>kampf
>struggle
What?
It's "My fight" or "My battle"

Because Kampf sounds like Camp and -they- wanted to remind people of the Holocaust, every time his name was mentioned.

Struggle is an acceptable translation, mate. So is fight and battle.

Meine Kleine Lager

Yeah, the bit with the dog at the start doesn't make the art school whining not seem less like a bitch wrote it. All you have to do is change "Jews" to "Patriarchy" and you literally have chick lit. Read his speeches instead, it's less likely to turn you into a chick.

Because editors have agency and can make different choices on matters such as these. Also, you have autism.

Did Hitler agree to such a lack of translation in the title? It was his work after all, he could have sued them.

Not unless his contract stipulated that he would have the right to select the name of the translated editions should any be forthcoming. That isn't standard practice, though.

Why do we call Homer's epic 'The Odyssey' and not 'The Long Journey'?

"Odyssey" only came to mean "long journey" in the wake of the poem. It is named after its main character, Odysseus.

I'm just autistic when it comes to translations.

The 1939 Dutch version is called Mijn Kamp (My Camp), and that's just as archaic as in English.

I'm German and I've noticed that in English writing many German terms go untranslated, much more than in other languages.

Yeah, especially when you don't even speak the language. Dunning–Kruger effect much?

Well to be fair English is a bastardized form of German. Now that I think about it other books go untranslated too: "Die Verwanderlung" for instance. The fuck?

>be German
>search "Mein Kampf" in amazon
>only editions with 3 billion introductions and footnotes
>search on amazon US
>mostly unedited versions
>tfw German government emasculates its population further and further

Same thing for protocols

Jews actually run modern art schools though

interesting, never thought of that comparison. I think the establishment doesn't want the poeple to see their opponents as "struggling" but rather as purely evil people who deserve no sympathy.

I hate our government so much, and the Germans are certainly the stupidest nation in the world.

His art is even like the shit that art school grills draw
>WHAT DO YOU MEAN MY FANFICTION ABOUT OLD BUILDINGS STILL EXISTING ISN'T REPRESENTATIONAL YOU SHITLORD?
is probably still being repeated by them across art college campuses everywhere.

A bastardized variety of Germanic*

Thinking English would just be German if the Norman Conquest didn't happen is just linguistically ignorant. At that point the two had already diverged enough not to be mutually intelligible. See Frisian, which diverged from German with English.

Might explain why white men pay top dollar to struggle.

The Phenomenology of Spirit should really be left as The Phenomenology of Geist.

Perhaps the title is iconic and well-known enough that it need not be translated. Additionally, would Germanbros say that kampf and struggle mean the exact same thing? They may not

why do idiots always have the need to talk

You tell me

I feel for you, lads. When the cheeseburgers have blocked my arteries and I'm lying on my deathbed because the state won't foot the bill, I'll think of you and feel better about my life.

In Greek it's 'politeia' or 'city things', since it's about governing cities.

In Latin this could be 'urbana', but they took it a little more abstractly, I guess, with 'res publica', 'public thing', or 'commonwealth'.

'Republic' is an English word, meaning a particular form of oligarchical government, a sense it never had in Latin.

Does German even have different words for 'fight', 'struggle', 'war', 'battle', 'contention'?

>オヂュッセウス物語

>res publica wasn't an oligarchical government
yeah sure

It wasn't. In Roman times it meant something like 'empire', 'territory', or 'nation'. The thing 'red' which is common 'publica' to everyone, i.e. the land we live in.

*res

take a look at this retard