We post anonymously here, and yet still people are not sincere. What exactly do you hope to gain, anonymously...

We post anonymously here, and yet still people are not sincere. What exactly do you hope to gain, anonymously, by adopting a new kind of role, defined by something as disgusting as "Veeky Forums is a cool underground website that I want to feel a part of" so you act like an idiot here, play the stupid games, talk about the books you think you should talk about, adopt the opinions you think you should adopt,..

Do you realize how divergent and non-hive-minded this place would really appear if everyone decided to be honest? What is everyone thinking they're going to lose, anonymously? You won't fit in? With what? With nothing, literally nothing. The second you turn your monitor off, this entire world disappears, and you're still alone with yourself, as you always are. None of this matters, nor will it ever. This website is not some kind of underground 'secret influence on society' machine, its nothing. The people who flock here are didn't pass some kind of "cool, intelligent people" test, and the people who remain here didn't pass some kind of "can handle the red pill" shit. It amazes me that there is some conception of superiority from this in relation to reddit or whatever website you want to be your trendy antagonist. I'm sure all of you can remember times where this website made you feel less lonely and gave you a chuckle or two, but beyond that this is your coffin.
Go ahead and browse through the catalogue, slowly, and ask yourself if any of this shit has some kind of substance beyond childish competition. Idiots trying to prove to other idiots how cool they are.

But no, look at this Calvin and HObbes Veeky Forums banner. Veeky Forums is so self-aware and self-ironic, even the banners talk about what a shit place this is! Ha-ha-ha! This place is so shit! Isn't it fun to wallow in shit? Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Back to r/books with you

salty cunt lmao

This is what you have to offer

age of entitlement

What?

>not seeing past the final layer of irony overlaying the entire site and realizing that we all realize how dumb and absurd this all is

>hurr durr I was only pretending to be a retard

pardon my use of memes but there it is

Veeky Forums is just insecure youths anonymously vetting books for "worth" so they don't namedrop shit and like uncool titles IRL

Yes, so let's blow this scene

>a retard
how does it make us retards? bitter losers, sure
frustrated idiots, sure, but retards?
all you can do is repeat a stale meme in response?
hmm really makes me think xD

I just like to talk about books with others that like to talk about books, I've been trying to find a book club or any other group on Facebook or so on with similar interests in books but all that I have found were uninteresting or non-active.

I wouldn't mind people knowing who I am in a book club, but this isn't a book club.

Fantastic post. This may also whats wrong with other pre-web-2.0 type sites like something awful

Sadly Im not surprised that people immediately rushed to mock these ideas in the most obvious way possible. When OP points out exactly how you are a stupid shit-wallower, and you do exactly that, all you're saying is, 'yes, i am a stupid shit-wallower'. There is nothing meta or ironic about that. Its really pathetic that people would debase themselves that way. Personally, even with anonymity I can't imagine not feeling ashamed of doing something like that. My best guess at what is going on in these poster's heads is that they have no self respect.

I would also add that its not funny or shocking. No one laughs at these shitty posts. Humor -- like everything else that makes life worth living -- requires unique insight, understanding of the audience, sincerity, and real effort. You have to genuinely engage with the world and the people you are communicating with.

There is a lot to say on this topic and I want to post more in this thread but its late. I hope to see more threads like this, because I don't think this site is complete shit yet at all and is definitely worth saving.

>understanding of the audience
it is understood perfectly

It's good to see that there are other sincere posters out there. I want you guys to know that we are not alone.

>we are not all alone
hate to break it to you user..

This is still the most interesting and insightful thread on Veeky Forums!

>using exclamation marks
Is there a more reddit punctuation mark? Fuck off, you disgusting cunt, you've been posting shit like an overexcited 15 year old all over Veeky Forums. Everyone can tell, so piss off.

No, it's just the usual genre fiction pleb trying to convince Veeky Forums that his shitty pulp fiction is on par with classic literature and deserves the same kind of respect.

It's impossible to talk outside of a culture or a role as established by game-boundaries and anonymity bolsters, not reduces the influence of a culture, I think?

Where do you suggest I go for "substance"? Shitposting is fun because it's like suicide, but more cowardly. Being honest takes effort and opens one up to being truly wrong, and that's scary.

Some people are sincere, some of the time. Some people are original/witty/insightful/helpful/w-e, some of the time. You wouldn't be here otherwise.

Can my sincerity be irony? What if I'm at the sincerest when I'm ironic? What if I don't know how I ought to achieve sincerity? Would it be sincere to not know how to be sincere?

Your post is pathetic and cliche and sad in its ignorant loneliness. No one comes here to be cool. People come here to forget that people unironically use the word cool. How much more honest can this place be? People constantly contemplate suicide, describe their isolation, their fear of permanent loneliness, display condescension, show their pettiness, joke about this website's absurdity and paradoxical support mechanism. Wtf do you want? A place where people regulate personality? Lit is human. Ugly, stupid, shy, lonely, sometimes smart...

I feel that it has a lot to do with the main undercurrent of depression that occupies almost every single board. The vast majority here are unhappy people, we treat this place like our sickness, like something we do every day. To be faceless and nameless doesn't hide you from yourself. So the most painful thing to be upended with is the knowledge that you are wrong and that no one has to see you talking or doing anything to come to that conclusion. To be so fundamentally wrong is the fear of so many posters, as this place slowly warped into all much of them really felt they had. Therefore the only feasible cure is separation, be it physical or personal; therefor the mask.

Polite sage for off topic meta.

Great post, OP. There are actually lots of well-read people on Veeky Forums and it would be an excellent place for discussion if people weren't compulsively posturing about how "patrician" they are all the time.

every time I post sincerely, people just shitpost in response. it doesnt matter how much I try to sage them. how do you expect people to react to that? irony is currency here as everywhere.

we're far more sincere than most, but we're still hedonists who love our stupid little jokes

>facebook

So, what do you have to offer?

What do you expect me to say to this? You think I would be embarrassed about using an exclamation point, or that I have made other posts on this board? Do you even have the presence of mind to understand why you are doing what you are doing when you write something like this? What will it take to get you to actually think about what you are doing, if not OP telling you as clearly as this?

depends whose asking.

The misery of this life will end today. All things are experienced from the vantage point of today. A hypothetical alert of this message's arrival some years ago does nothing to change your felt experience of reading it today as present you. Such is the end. The door of Matter will open just as suddenly as it closed.

stop being such a progressive, authentic, realistic, conscious, postmodern freudomarxist

do it user
do the leap

Go leap yourself off a cliff

what's OP's big other? be sincere, we are all anonymous here.

I just started reading Either/Or a few days ago and I would have never expected it to be so enjoyable

Then again, there's a part of me that thinks it's shallow as fuck

Sure is a lotta insecurity on this thread/board....

R E D D I T

E

D

D

I

T

bumping this quality thread

get everybody and their stuff together

>not realizing that being aware of your stupidity does not excuse it
childish

I think it's interesting that you call attention to web 2.0 sites. I think the internet before social media was incredibly genuine, with actual communication, debate, and discourse, in addition to the virtual friendships that developed.

I'm still connected to strangers that I met online back in the late 90's. That's pretty remarkable. But, in the last ten years, I haven't met anyone online worth a damn.

This is the real redpill

>What exactly do you hope to gain,

It was always for the lulz

I like you user. Good post.

What's the new board going to be?

It's common sense. Pills are for sick people.

Veeky Forums sometimes produces threads that are thought provoking or informative. I've learned a lot here.

OP is whiny trash, has contributed nothing, and his criticism is 100% projection. Please go.

boards.Veeky Forums.org/321letsjam/

irrelevant

OP may be whiny, but he's not wrong.
Informative posts are the exception, insecure braggadocio and contempt are the norm.
>has contributed nothing
neither have you gaylord

No. Your meaningless, noise post is proving OP's point.

>insecure braggadocio and contempt are the norm.
>>repeating the obvious as argument

I've been frustrated with the lameness of this board before, but I didn't start a tantrum thread and fling accusations at the collective anonymous (which really says more about the accuser than accused). I logged off and read a book.

Wow, nice contribution, dude (this post is sarcastic).

>tripag
>opinion immediately disregarded
Many such cases.

>Veeky Forums
>Idiots trying to prove to other idiots how cool they are.

Yeah, Veeky Forums users are people too. Wow. Shocking insight, doctor OP!

>play the stupid games, talk about the books you think you should talk about, adopt the opinions you think you should adopt

An individual's online presence is an extension of themselves. Veeky Forums users know they are anonymous, but the more substantive truth is their posts are important to THEM, unless they are purposely shitposting/trolling. All the games and posturing are practice for real world posturing. This is a charm school for pseudointellectual shut-in dingbats.

the only disagreement I have with this post is the implication that Veeky Forums is Veeky Forums.
Veeky Forums is semi-anonymous reddit. Veeky Forums-style posts are literally reported here. Not saying that's necessarily bad, but just keep it in mind.

Who cares my cuck
I just wasted 1hour of my life watching youtube videos of me and my m8s from HS doing dumb shit back in the good'ol days and my face hurts from laffin so hard, find something that does that for you

link?

Good for you, faggot.

Go fuck yourself

Veeky Forums is not semi-anonymous. It is exactly as anonymous as the rest of Veeky Forums, and it does not have reddit features or any features not found elsewhere on Veeky Forums.

>reporting posts in Veeky Forums
Yeah. Veeky Forums has a lot of pedantic nerds. If anything, people here are some of the most insufferable anywhere on this site. /k/ can be autistic, but they're generally funny. /out/ is the most chill board anywhere. Veeky Forums has people who actually do things with their knowledge. Veeky Forums beardos love their hobbies unironically.

Veeky Forums is about as noxious as Veeky Forums. there is absolutely no reason for that.

Exhibit A. Just look at these faggots. Pic related.

Not gonna expose myself or people related to me in here, too many hackerz
They are mostly videos of us chasing each other and throwing tables inside the classroom and overall chimping out

for some reason I didn't connect that it was you in the videos, that was pretty dumb of me.
Glad you found something to cheer you up, user. Hope you have a good day/night/evening wherever you are.

Thanks, you too

OP is a gigantic faggot. I come here because I want to shoot the shit with like-minded people. Most people in life are incompatible. I've put a lot of effort into trying to find compatibility with others IRL, and it's rare. I don't spend all of my free time on this board, but if I'm in the mood to shitpost, I know exactly where to come, and I know exactly what to expect. Feel free to fuck off to some other place where people are "sincere" in the way you define it.

Fuck you, choke on a dick.