IQ and simple math

This kid has an IQ of 152 and answered A

Also, general trivia thread since you guys are so smart

35,000*4. What am I missing here.

Sounds like this kid has 152 IQ according to his retarded common core teachers

>What am I missing here.

American education

It did not define regular quarters. Is it referring to quarters from 1970 that are regular or regular as in modern quarters currency? I think the kid meant A as in Another question that makes sense please

>define quarter

B.
Smart people make mistakes too.
I'm in Mensa. You wouldn't believe some of the nonsense posted in the monthly magazine.

What was so rare about the quarter? I ought to go through the jar where I toss the spare change.

>quarter is worth $35,000
>if you wanted to buy it how many quarters would you need
>1
>1 isn't an option

>regular quarters

>Smart people make mistakes too.
To make a mistake like that he was either tired or on drugs. I'm at least 30 points below him and it was immediate for me.

More proof that IQ is hookem.

>to make a mistake like that
Yes. I commit more errors than brainlets. Let's be honest with ourselves, you want to validate the IQ tool as some "scientific" tool, yet it has always been a pseudoscientific test.

Is who wants to be a millionaire just a game of luck?

I mean, there's 33.34% chance of being right unless the person happens to know the right answer, and lifelines can only get you so far into the game.

Let's say there are 15 questions with 4 choices each. Let's also say there are 3 lifelines: call-a-friend, 50-50, and ask-the-audience.

For each of the 15 questions, there is only 1 correct answer, and 3 incorrect answers, so immediately your chances are 1/3 = 33.34%. You can use each lifeline once. Using phone-a-friend, let's say gives you a 95% chance the person you call is correct. So 1 question is 95%. Similarly, we can say ask-the-audience gives you a 95% chance. Finally, 50-50 will remove 2 wrong answers, so you have 1 right answer and 1 wrong answer, so you basically know the answer. To recap:

Question 1: 33.34%
Question 2: 33.34%
Question 3: 33.34%
Question 4: 95%

nice post, i liked it a lot

>so immediately your chances are 1/3 = 33.34%
What? Aren't those your odds per question (not your chances)?

>Total: 690.08%
>Divided by 15 questions = 46.00%
This is a joke, right?

The answer is zero.
Why the fuck would he need regular quarters to buy something off ebay? Ebay uses paypal.

>this pasta is still fooling people 5 years later
never gets old desu

The don't understand the question

"If you wanted to buy it, how many regular quarters would you have needed"?

Needed for what? Anyone can want to buy it, you don't need any quarters to want to buy something. Wanting to buy something and being able to afford something are two different things.

Furthermore, this assumes your only form of payment is quarters. You don't need any quarters to buy a $35,000 quarter because you can just write a check, or use a debit card, or pay in bitcoin.

1 right answer with 4 possibilities = 1/4 (25%) of guessing correctly, not 1/3.
The total chance isn't averaged - two successive correct guesses is calculated as (chance of guessing first question) x (chance of guessing second question).
So...
.25 * .25 = 0.0625, meaning you have a 6.25% or 1/16 chance of correctly blind-guessing 2 questions in a row.
15 successive guesses (without 50/50, phone a friend, or ask the audience) would be .25 * .25 * .25 * .25 * .25 * .25 * .25 * .25 * .25 * .25 * .25 * .25 * .25 * .25 * .25 (.25^15), which equals 9.3132257^-10, which is very very small. A 0.00000009% chance, if I counted right.

IQ is a measurement of ones ability to take a certain test on a certain day. While it is related to ones actual cranial abilities, it is not an accurate enough measurement to warrant numerical comparison.

Prove me wrong.

>Prove me wrong.
Why is IQ so much correlated with academic achievement and virtually only people with above average IQs are able to succeed in quantitative fields?

This

question is ambiguous. Just because something is listed for a price doesn't mean you can buy it for that price if it was bid up.

quarter = 25 cents
25 cents * 4 = 1 dollar
1 dollar * 35 000 = 35 000 dollars = 1 1970s quarter
So quarter * 4 * 35 000 = 140 000 quarters.
Hence the answer is B.

>Cranial abilities
My cranium has the ability to break plywood.

>IQ is a measurement of ones ability to take a certain test on a certain day
This argument is so dumb it hurts my brain. It's like saying "an electrocardiogram only measures how your heart beats on a certain day" and claiming that heart attacks are a social construct.

>I commit more errors than brainlets.
You aren't the sandard here, einstein.

>smart people make mistakes
>I'm in Mensa
>QED

>I'm in Mensa

Lol

>you want to validate the IQ tool as some "scientific" tool, yet it has always been a pseudoscientific test.

No it isn't you fucking mong.

>This kid has an IQ of 152 and answered A

The kid was probably really nervous about being on TV in front of an audience and was trying to hold it together and messed up.

Here is the real question. You can now pay 100,000$ to go on Who wants to be a millionaire or in other words you start the game at -100,000$. Would you do it?

>regular quarters aren't worth $35,000

"Smart" people do dumb shit every single day

The kid just didn't read the zeroes correctly. This isn't like the "owl squirts ink" woman.

This is the illuminati. Stay right where you fucking are.

^
In this example user is using over-analysis to lower his own IQ, over time causing autism.

brainlet pls
1 rare quarter = 35 000
1 regular quarter = 1/4
x = 35000 * 1 / 4 = 14000

>According to literaly nobody, this kid has solved some puzzles for the total score of 152 something
wow. really impressive

you're supposed to DIVIDE by 1/4, not multiply. brainlet

this. If you asked me to tie my shoes on TV i'm pretty sure it would take me like an hour.

>he doesn't change the parameters of the quesions he gets in his head and turns them around to make people understand the retardness of language specifications
>somehow this tradition of mine has become a burden for accurate answers, so i always overanalyze and reject the quickest answer i get in my head
I commit more errors than brainlets, but I know more than them and I know I'm wrong. I forgot I was in Veeky Forums where everyone is a pseud and can't even study history, get a physics degree and practice prog. languages at the same time. Y'all are inferior beings who cannot even grasp the possibility that there is someone with a more holistic point of view than all of you combined. Dumb drones.
Denying reality is typical from brainlets.

Top kek, mensa guy can't even control his own thought process

It could also be that the kid just suffers from anxiety. I can do that calculation in my head easily too, but if you throw me in front of a crowd of people with cameras in my face ominous music playing, and a host who keeps repeating the question over and over, then I would start thinking shit like, "oh fuck. I bet everyone in the crowd calculated this answer quicker than me. SHIT! I should work on calculating this problem. FUCK... Why am I thinking so much about this?? Fuck it, there's no way it came be anything greater than 14,000."

> People actually pay to be in mensa haha

35,000*4=140,000
NOT

lol
well done you graduate elementary

yes exactly you fucking moron if you read the rest of the post you'll see i'm calling the kid an idiot

top kek

Yeah.. If there was one thing about an iq test that is pseud it's the fact that peoplemake mistakes. Tests are obviously a combination of different circumstances and not everyone's full potential will be exhibited.

I know it sounds like easy bait but making mistakes doesn't mean you're inherently stupid. And people who sperg out over meaningless mistakes are the fucking worst. That's the type of shit that women do and as we all know that places you even below sperg.

You could mess up 2+2 in a massive proof, something no brainletcould ever do, but they can notice that one mistake and call you an idiot. What a joke

For the record idk about this guy but my problem has always been labels. I can do a complicated math problem in my head and spit out the answer but generally don't remember the question. How many dicks did susy suck? 50. WRONG. IT'S 50 DICKS YOU FORGOT DICKS IDIOT. I even lost for my team in some academic state challenge because I couldn't remember if it was rabbits or rabbit legs. But I was still the only reason my team was there in the first place

>being this new

ok but let's not be retarded here

Found the newfag.

not the entire real question.
would you pay 500k for a 50/50 coin flip chance to win 1 million?

There are four answers and one is right so your chances are 1/4 or 25%

but this is bait anyway

kek

what the fuck is a quarter. 25c, or some legacy non-dollar currency?

nice

>Smart people make mistakes too
>I'm in Mensa

so what makes you qualified to opine on what smart people do?

>Smart people make mistakes too.
This. It's how shit goes, unfortunately.

>I'm in Mensa.
Oh fuck off.

He calculated in the inflation of the quarters from 1970 to now.

Official inflation website from he government say that inflation is tenfold in that timeframe. So he calculated 140000 and then adjusted for inflation.

So hes a genius its very impressive what he did

Lol fuck no. I'd buy some shitcoins worth 100k and collect my million in few months time.

Don't be so hard on him, he has 152 IQ.

I really really like this post

No way. Your IQ must be off the charts

1.4M because 50 years of inflation

Probably this. I have no issues doing math in my head when I need it, but whenever someone else asks me to do it I freeze and can't do anything past very simple additions.

Best thing ever posted on Veeky Forums

All you need to do is look at the zeros, this is grade school thinking. There's three zeros in 35,000. Next, you don't even need to calculate 4*35, when you look at the answers it's going to precede with 14 and obviously it's 140, not 14 or 1400. So, it's 140 followed by three zeroes, or 140,000. No calculation needed.

+0.01

>I'm in Mensa

You wat

Einstein pepe for you, congratulations.

can i call half the audience my friends and use all 3 life lines in one go?

Also good, but not as good.

top kek

>For each of the 15 questions, there is only 1 correct answer, and 3 incorrect answers, so immediately your chances are 1/3 = 33.34%
no the chance is 1/4 = 25%
Also, if you toss a coin there is a 50% chance you will get heads, you toss the coin again there is also 50% chance, but what is the overall chance of getting two heads in a row? It's not 50%, more like 25%, but saying there is an average between those two lets say its 50-(50-25/2) because you have two tries.
This implies here, if you guess there is 25% chance you will be right, but what is the chance of being right 15 times in a row? the answer is somewhere about 1-2%

He had the correct answer but brainfarted, most likely due to being on television in a game show for tons of money.

....holly shit. Every answer could be the one apart from kek

Is there a video of this?

a quarter of a dollar
a dollar is 100 pennies
so a quarter is 1/4 of 100
25 pennies

Nice blog.

I learnt from that mistake of yours.

My main concern nowadays is obssesing over topics until I generally understand them. It hurts to forget a topic before I can get a solid grasp out of it.

>I'm in Mensa.

Jelly brainlet detected.

>Finally, 50-50 will remove 2 wrong answers, so you have 1 right answer and 1 wrong answer, so you basically know the answer
hey this is wrong

Thank you user i understadn now

>divided by 15 questiond
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Are you having a stroke?

Sometimes nervous and stressed out people (including those on national television) can't always think straight.

I mean shit, sometimes I use a calculator for simple algebra on exams, just because I don't trust myself in that moment to be able to think right. Anxiety can get people.

>muh common core