EXPLAIN TIME CRYSTALS RIGHT NOW

Apparently this shit is real. What does time crystal mean?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_crystal
physics.aps.org/articles/v5/116
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Time Crystals mean that popsci outlets are going to make a killing in 2018. I have to say, great job. String Theory was obviously dying out. This is great.

Ok but what is a time crystal? What does it mean? Can I hold a time crystal? Can I edit my timeline?

i know shit about the topic but i think a crystal is something that has a physical pattern (like the thing in the photo above) so a time crystal would prob. be something that holds a pattern through time

correct, a time crystal has a pattern that changes over time

do you think we could create a 3d version of conway's game of life with time crystals? and if we did and left it alone for 1 million years would it attain sentience?

If you set it up so that any still creature automatically turns into an acorn this could work kek

It is a rebranding of perpetual motion machines. Basically MIT figured out perpetual motion was possible, but since scientists spent the last 300 years tellkng everyone it was impossible, they had to call it something else to save face.

you're such a retard holy shit, how can you even post this? what were you thinking? kill yourself

Not an arguement

Crystals are known for their periodic structure in space.
Simple harmonic oscillators have a periodic structure in time.
Some dbag re-branded a periodicity in time as a time crystal.
They are not perpetual motion. If you read the experiments, energy was regularly pumped into the system.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_crystal
They possess "motion without energy"[19]—their apparent motion does not represent conventional kinetic energy.[20]

If you read those sources, it’s just two popsci websites. Read this, no work is being done and no energy can be extracted. The topic obviously is way more than you can chew, so please refrain from being an idiot next time

physics.aps.org/articles/v5/116

>2018
You know time crystals have been topics in popsci for years now right?

Just because no work is being done and you can't extract the energy doest mean there's no motion or energy in it. Take the base ovulations of a harmonic occelator for example.

>base ovulations of a harmonic occelator

All I know about are "have-a-good-time" crystals

>Base ovulations

>tfw you get your occelator pregnant

isn't something as simple as a pendulum a time crystal? it maintains its pattern through time as long as there's no friction. seems like some advanced faggotry to me

>40hrs go by in what seems like 20 mins and vice versa

Those are also time crystals

No, you’re mixing up terms and calling someone a million times smarter than you a faggot because he came up with something that you don’t understand. Symmetry breaking in a pendulum happens in its excited state, time crystals are special because the symmetry breaking happens in the ground state. Big difference

i didn't call him anything you nonce. you're the one making ad hominem attacks.

so there's a ground state degeneracy and the system is swinging back and forth between the two states, sounds an awful lot like a pendulum to me.

Mines been pregnant 3x

Seriously, how is a simple harmonic oscillator not a time crystal?

Or even worse, by the Poincare Recurrence Theorem, how is any NVE system not just a really long period time crystal?

(and similar)
A crystal (spontaneously) breaks translation symmetry, a time crystal (spontaneously) breaks time translation symmetry, a harmonic oscillator does not do that.