Roommate is playing computer games and screaming at the top of his lungs into his headset while you're trying to write...

>Roommate is playing computer games and screaming at the top of his lungs into his headset while you're trying to write inductive proofs

>Posting frogs on Veeky Forums when you should be doing inductive proofs

stop being a beta and go tell him to fuck off

But that's hard

Living with gamers is hell. They all suck.

Swat him

this. I have never enjoyed video games since middle school, and I can't imagine how much farther back I would be if I did. Why adults spend their time playing children's games is beyond me.

Why adults spend their time on Veeky Forums is beyond me.

I'm not 21 yet and I live in America, so I could still be considered a minor in some cases :^)

yeah bro, why would you listen to music, watch movies, look at art, or read. REAL adults are mentally-empty corporate slaves.

>Video games are equivalent to all other forms of media and entertainment
CS student detected
Video games are counter-productive to any sort of self-improvement, deep thought, or emotional development. Gamer culture is a toxic milieu and is designed to be addictive.

That's only true for multiplayer games.

Different people have different kind of ways of getting their fun time. Some like playing video games, some like going out and drinking and some others like to invent programs to solve equations.

It's just how it works get over it

this desu

Since you're still a child that explains why you missed my point. When you grow up you're essentially working for money so you can spend it on wasting time. How you will waste your time is completely up to you, it doesn't matter, it's still a waste of time because due to our current idiotic utilitarian indoctrination everything is a waste of time that's not related to your work.

>Criticizes me for being an adult on Veeky Forums
>Criticizes me for being a child

I argued this:
>Video games are a waste of time
You reduced this to absurdity by representing my argument as:
>Everything not related to work is a waste of time

I'm saying that video games are a uniquely bad waste of time since they 1) Are less "productive" than nearly every other form of entertainment (music can illicit an emotional/spiritual response, reading makes you smarter, sports are good for your body, etc.) 2) Are addictive and generally shorten the attention span of our generation since no one can go more than 30 seconds without some electronic dopamine reward

>bragging about induction
>attacking video games

lel, I'm a math major taking intro to proofs. I'm just learning how to do these proofs, not bragging at all
>defending computer gaymes

>math major
>before taking proofs

top kek

>while you're trying to write inductive proofs
No you're not. You're shitposting on Veeky Forums you fucking brainlet.

>Chad roommate is banging your oneitis and she's screaming at the top of her lungs while you're trying to write inductive proofs

>Criticizes me for being an adult on Veeky Forums
>Criticizes me for being a child

No, I just tried to show that using age as an argument is absurd. Anyone can use Veeky Forums, thinking it's only for children is the same like thinking video games are only for children.

>I argued this:
>Video games are a waste of time
>You reduced this to absurdity by representing my argument as:
>Everything not related to work is a waste of time

I've been through this conversation before, it always boils down to the argument that somehow by not doing something that's productive it's automatically a waste of time which you implied with and with your 1) point.

>reading makes you smarter

Really dude?

You seem to think for some reason that somehow every other form of entertainment has meaning but video games don't as if finding meaning or having a connection with something is depended on the format. People form emotional responses to everything. And your 2) point is fucking retarded. I'm totally playing solitaire or fucking Civilisation for that 30 second electronic dopamine rush. Do you seriously think there's only one type of video game?

idk, I've already finished a math minor in calc 1-3, odes, pdes, and complex variables (like complex analysis without proofs) and I've never had to learn proofs

Don't you learn to do proofs when you take intro to analysis which is like a 1st semester course?

Can't you just ask him to tone it down? If not just go to the library to study instead of complaining about it on Veeky Forums

>every other form of entertainment has meaning but video games don't as if finding meaning or having a connection with something is depended on the format
What I'm saying is that various entertainment media have varying degrees of legitimacy, and video games are the bottom rung. They provide instant gratification like no other form of entertainment (except perhaps binge-watching tv shows) and tend to consume their users like no other (there is r/StopGaming but no r/StopReading). I'm not saying that it's wrong to spend part of your time doing absolutely nothing; only that video games are generally counter-productive to most people's life goals. The only thing stupider that I can think of is watching live streams of other people playing said games. That's just mind boggling to me.

Idk, I recently switched to math from engineering after 4 semesters so I'm probably going a bit backwards

>r/
Found the problem

>What I'm saying is that various entertainment media have varying degrees of legitimacy and video games are the bottom rung.

What legitimacy? Is there an ISO standardization for entertainment?

>They provide instant gratification like no other form of entertainment (except perhaps binge-watching tv shows) and tend to consume their users like no other (there is r/StopGaming but no r/StopReading).

Again, do you think there's only one type of game? Also sports provide much more instant gratification than video games, especially extreme types. But I guess sports have more "legitimacy" because you burn out your body faster and more severe?

I don't know why reddit would be your orientation for what's present or not but reading is often frowned upon and seen as a dumb waste of time. Also I like how you perceive reading as a universally productive thing. I can read 30 Danielle Steel novels and gain absolutely nothing from it. There are countless "stop reading trash" groups around.

>I'm not saying that it's wrong to spend part of your time doing absolutely nothing;

Then it shouldn't be so boggling to you that some people like videogames.

>Roommate is trying to write inductive proofs while browsing Veeky Forums

>Roommate is trying to write inductive proofs while you're playing computer games and screaming at the top of your lungs into your headset

Some things are better to waste money on than others. You could use your free time to do fun stuff outside instead of sitting in front of a tv/computer, at least when you're old you won't be saying i never left my apartment

I would like to add to this compare the award shows for music, film, and theater, then compare to the video game awards

People like to say that video games are just new and that's why they aren't taken seriously, but other mediums were never like this

I'm not against trying out things. I'm against the utilitarian worldview of "everything you do must be productive".

>compare the award shows for music, film, and theater
The fact that only trash gets awards?

video games are far more addictive and destructive than other media, although I do agree that tv has been bad for us, so I stopped watching it. I never said "everything you do must be productive", I said "avoid doing things that make you a worse person"

says the shitposter on Veeky Forums

The only difference is at one point you had to leave your house for everything you mentioned, and you far more often than not, went with other people, so it was a social gathering. I think there are definitely cases where video games are counter productive to some peoples lives, on the other hand, considering how many autists post on this website alone, I am quite grateful they spend all their time playing video games and not bringing a gun to a live event.

>Veeky Forums is discussing the legitimacy of playing video games for fun instead of insulting OP for needing to be in complete science to write fucking INDUCTIVE PROOFS

This is it. We've reached peak shittiness. I want neo-Veeky Forums to fuck back off to reddit and leave the rest of us alone.

As for you, OP, kill yourself you retarded brainlet frogposter.

>Roommate is trying to write inductive proofs while you're playing computer games and screaming at the top of your lungs into your headset while solving the same inductive proofs in your head
fuck frogs