Is chemical engineering just another shitty degree...

Is chemical engineering just another shitty degree? Everything i heard was either bullshit or somebody saying how hard it is to find a job. Any chem e. Majors here want to exclaim how it went for them?

not a chem eng

no its not bullshit. probably harder to find a job than mech eng or aero eng or something like that but easier than pure sciences.

job outlook is just bad for everyone right now for a variety of reasons. so if your chem eng friends are struggling, thats just how it is unfortunately. chem eng is generally considered a t10 degree

ChemE is pretty good as far as engineering degrees go, you learn a lot but don't get much depth unless you push yourself. What else are you leaning towards?

ChemE here, yes, the job aspect is a meme, everyone always said they are always in demand, yet a year after we graduated over 10% of my classmates still couldn't get a single job, and I'm not talking about some retard, some of them were pretty smart guys. One guy even had to get a job stocking shelves at a supermarket because he could get no other job. Half of the rest had extremely shitty low paying jobs and I (who had a higher paying job than most) still made less than some of my highschool friends who either did other shit or went into a trade. If you like ChemE, do it, bit don't fall for this job meme. This is actually another problem, because ChemE ended up nothing like how I was told it was in highschool, they told me it was very advanced math, problem solving, chemistry, and a bunch of other shit that sounded cool, turns out the most advanced math you do it numerically solve pdes and the only chemistry is balancing equations. All my time is spent doing useless repetitive paperwork, yelling at maintenance and operators for not doing their jobs, and following undocumented pipes with a tiny bit of code monkey work and some thermo/fluid dynamics once a month. You also get the added stress that when the operators or anyone else fucks up its your fault because you are the engineer in charge.

My classmates all have similar stories, the only ones that seem happy are ones who got jobs in completely different fields, like working at banks or insurance companies.

STEM lied, autists died.

There never were any jobs.

H1B Mexican boomer jews took your STEM jobs.
Jose Schlomo Hernandez is laughing at you nerds.

Veeky Forums - Careers

The punchline is that there aren't any.

>over 10%
That's, uhhhh pretty normal.

/the fucking thread

Where the fuck is this normal? It's normal to spend hundreds of thousands and years of your life training for job, then have a 1/6 chance to end up unemployed? Only one other guy I know from highschool is unemployed. And he's some form of mentally retarded, all the others engineers.

Thanks, but if chem e. Is basically a meme inthe job world, where should i go into? Not chemistry because the jobs are even worse in there, and maybe nuclear engineering, but what else that involves chem that will get me a job and will be half enjoyable?

Nuclear eng is similar chem eng in terms of what you do on a job site

The user you replied to works at a shit industry chem eng job. Theres quite a few like it but its not the only job.

His job is more of a maintenance job. But there are designer jobs. You could hook up with an engineering consulting firm for more designer work. Same with nuclear.

Nuclear is also a shrinking field since nuclear power is on the decline and renewables are on the rise.

According to forbes, chem eng slightly enjoy their jobs more than straight chemists. However, chemists report higher meaning in their work. It looks like most engineers report similar satisfaction across chemistry-related fields. Job growth is about the same.

Not sure what your interests are or where in your degree you are but you could do biochem then go to med school.

Yes thats normal in the US.

Interest in science has declined, public trust of science has declined, science denial is a cornerstone of one of the major political parties' platform. So the investment in science is declining.

That plus theres currently a hiring crisis where employers have more money than ever but wont hire inexperienced employees even for entry level jobs. So graduates are gated out of their field. Better hope you made some connections in college.

Amazing to write so much and say jack shit. Fuck off.

What are you talking about, brainlet?

Hey Brainlests, C""S"" is where the jobs are at, but then again you retards don't even know what a selection sort is.

Did the degree for a bit before quitting due to medical reasons interfering, but personally I wouldn't have gone back. It was advertised as having a large amount to do with chemistry, and ended up being almost entirely to do with designing the systems used to transport/combine/etc. chemicals instead (plus the usual mathematics involved, obviously).
I would have looked up the contents of the course itself beforehand if I wasn't too young and stupid to think of it, but it's a damn good idea since then you know what you can advertise yourself as qualified to do on your CV.

If ur doing anything but computers or materials you'll be out the job in 2020

Everything is bullshit and everyone has a hard time trying to find a job, chemical engineering is no different. I busted my ass looking for a job and managed to find a job as a process engineer at a specialty chemical plant. The job is pretty much what I wanted to do and they're paying $85k which is pretty decent for not being oil-related. It's still bullshit though, they could only take me on as a contractor and are still refusing to give me a more permanent position because the site and the whole company is struggling. So I'm still job hunting and I rarely get called back and haven't had any other offers.

And I'll second that I spend more time dealing with operators and incompetent fucking maintenance techs. Lots of bullshit paperwork for boring shit, and then even when it comes to actual projects where you get to do some design work it takes a million stupid fucking meetings with every single asshole who wants to fuck it all up and by the end of it everything gets delayed or half-assed and it turns out awful.

I went into it with an interest in chemistry but there's really very little of that. In the end I found that I like automation and process control and functional safety a lot so that's what I've been working in. But that's probably not what you were thinking when you first decided to be a chemical engineer, and it's a topic that you can approach either from chemE or from EE and studying EE might open more doors for you.

ChemE is fine if you go into the medical field ie, biotech. Job outlook then should be fine, but then you are technically straying away from pure ChemE, even tho you are more than qualified to work in that field.

Aaron Clarey and his viewers talk about how the job market is bad for all millennials these days, because boomers are still working and so gen x'ers can't leave the positions that STEM is actually made for. STEM majors may be doing bad now, but they are doing better than most other millennials with even more useless degrees.

How long until you idiots realize you dont go to uni to train for a job, its higher education to be used at the individuals discretion.

the reddit spacing should have let you know to not read the post

>haha amirite guys!

There is a nice enough possibility that the job market will get significantly better after the boomers all finally reach the age where they can no longer work, which should be rather soon.
The other alternative is that tens of thousands of pajeets get imported to fill the ballooning gaps and millennials remain unemployed.

>The other alternative is that tens of thousands of pajeets get imported to fill the ballooning gaps and millennials remain unemployed.
Of course, what's the problem? You're not some kind of racist, are you?

>Interest in science has declined, public trust of science has declined, science denial is a cornerstone of one of the major political parties' platform. So the investment in science is declining.
>one of
>not all of

Can confirm. Graduated college in 2011. I JUST found a job in my field last year and it's entry level.

actually yea kek

I'm in my final year of ChemE at a big state school.
>the most advanced math you do it numerically solve pdes
I guess this is true in Kinetics and Fluids. But it't not like you're just given the equation and you only have to solve it... the most challenging part of a lot of homework is deriving those equation that you use to get the solution. Writing balances before you've done it 50 times can suck.

My job prospects probably aren't that great because I'm in the bottom half of my class and don't have any internships. The kids in my class are pretty competitive, which is a big downer.

>ChemE
>Science
Wat, I mean you use a tiny bit of science in your work but it's not science.

>Homework
You'll never use it outside of homework