Can lobsters feel pain?

Can lobsters feel pain?
Apparently there's s law in Switzerland saying you have stun a lobster before throwing it into boiling water.
The article I was reading implied scientists say it's cause they can feel pain.
But I'm skeptical
I was under the impression a lobsters nervous system was no more complex than a cockroache's.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-W37TDK6dBM
umaine.edu/lobsterinstitute/education/life-of-the-american-lobster/anatomy-biology/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Nociceptors are what allow a creature to feel pain. It is unknown if lobsters feel pain or not. Stunning a lobster isn't all that hard and it helps keep splashing of boiling water to a minimum which can be dangerous.

Who tf cares its a fucking animal

How do you stun it?

kys

stunning them? that's retarded. grab your knife, and stick it in the head swiftly. dead instantly, no pain.

imagine tazing a lobster

That ruins the meat you retard.

>meat
>in the head
here's an idea: don't talk about things you don't know anything about. don't comment. don't give your opinion. don't post. just lurk more.

youtube.com/watch?v=-W37TDK6dBM

this. It's not like it's gonna seek revenge.

>all that anger
>desperately trying to put up an aggressive front because you fear anyone actually arguing with you
sad

Wallace had a good point, though

Even if they have receptors and feel 'pain', their lack of complexity in the nervous system means they don't know what it is to suffer, etc probably, so we're just likely humanizing them when we think of pain

Their response is probably more automatic than thought about.

>Apparently there's s law in Switzerland saying you have stun a lobster before throwing it into boiling water.

OK...

>Swiss man removes lobster from bag.
>In Swiss, shouts "Your sister is dead!"
>Lobster shouts, in lobster, "What the actual fuck!!!!???"
>Splash.

"Hey lobster...lobster... No, listen, lobster, seriously... lobster, are you listening?

/b/ was good."

Ye they can feel pain like any creature.

Damn I love these kind of comics.
Makes absolutist retards think for a moment.

There is more to gain for certain people if scientists claim they don't feel pain, no matter how absurd it sounds. This way we can boil a living thing alive and not feel any remorse. Funny, really.

lobsters don't have a centralized brain. Their have multiple nodule like brains scattered all over the place. You can't do it quick and easy with a knife. Swiss law prevents them from freezing the lobsters. The study concluded shocking them is the only way.

tfw I've killed literally tons of lobsters
>they squirm and squeak a little when you boil them
>they feel something like pain
>you can headstand them and they pass out
>they're incredibly stupid
>carnivorous
>they're bugs
>and delicious

i just boil them

if someone wants to get in an ethical debate with me they arent getting any lobster

Nonsense:
The Post

An ethical person wouldn't want the lobster.

That cumguzzling faggot of "god" created a universe than runs on death. take it to him

>Their response is probably more automatic than thought about.
So is ours, just on a different scale. You have to make a judgement as to what "realness" and complexity is required for an organism's nervous system stress to be considered.

as far as boiling, they die pretty quick so not a big issue. It's more when the processing plants/sellers harvest raw lobster tails to sell they need to fix.

>pick up live lobster and ram a big spike mounted on the wall into it's chest cavity
>pull and twist on it's tail until it and half it's innards rip off it's body
>through all this lobster is still alive and flailing
>toss body, still alive, along the process to have claws harvested and rest of body meat for scrap and canned meat

No I don't

Does them feeling pain fuck up the taste or something ? .I've heard anecdotal shit that cows taste like shit if they die agitated because of all the shit secreted to their blood

Lol. We're not sure if they feel pain but stunning them keeps them from flailing around in boiling water. But we're still not sure if they feel pain

Says the man who gets eaten by his pigs or pit bulls. What if he sneeks out and gets ur achilles tendon

Why would you stun a lobster before throwing it into boiling water?

Pain is such a weird criterion for acknowledgement of "rights". It lacks a reasoned or fitness-based foundation. People should stop mindlessly accepting their empathetic projections.

this applies to niggers aswell

Not an argument.

You're a big crustacean

Who benefits, precisely and what are those benefits?

But shocking them would in the end have to cause some pain or else it wouldn't be all that "shocking".

I'll have tis guys lobster, please.

That shit is ancient nigga

kek'd

To let it pass away peacefully.

Swiss are such pussies just throw it in.

I like you.

this. killing the animal "humanly" is incredibly hypocritical

So are you. So you wouldn't care if I boil you alive?

inb4 "humans aren't animals" insanity

No.

This is absolutely true. Let me spell it out for you mathematicians, physicists, etc. who dominate this board now.

Lobsters are not what is known as a "vertebrate". This means they do not have a "central nervous system" like most mammals, fish, and other vertebrates like lizards do. A lobster has a decentralized nervous system, which means it does not have a "brain". It's ability to "think" is shared by different nerves and neurons located in different locations throughout the body. You could say its entire body is it's brain.

As for whether or not they feel "pain", well definitely not the way humans or other vertebrates do, but it's been argued even plants show a "pain response". It would stand to reason that yes they do feel stimuli from their enviornment that they would act to avoid. But do they process that mentally, do they remember that uncomfortable feeling? Studies show that yes they do. Whether this is a conscious feeling they are actively aware of or a simple knee-jerk response, we may never know.

On the contrary, veal (which is baby cow) is chained from birth so as not to develop muscles to keep the meat tender. It's generally believed that the stress and suffering in cows specifically makes their meat taste better, not worse. You could say that "all the shit secreted to their blood" might improve the taste. Of course that probably depends on the person.

Creatures in our kingdom have an avoidance mechanism for damage. Stimulating this mechanism causes the organism to behave in a non-statis manner which can always be interpreted as distress. There is no need to cause an animal distress if it can be avoided, so give it the benefit of the doubt and kill it outright and definitely.

Smaller body just makes the feel all that bigger user...

UUUU

Lets think about this for a second.
>animal doesnt feel pain
>animal finds itself experiencing no pain while getting attacked by a predator or injuring itself
>animal has no incentive to avoid being attacked by predators or injuring itself
How long do you think such a species would last before going extinct? They may not feel pain in the same way as we do, but it is unlikely that any macroscopic organism capable of movement would evolve with no pain response because it would be such a monumentally ineffective survival mechanism.
Also, why wouldnt you just kill it beforehand? Reguardless of if they feel pain or not it cant be pleasant to be boiled alive and its not hard to stab them in the brains before throwing them in the pot.

tl;dr: lobsters most likely feel pain, but even if they dont the only reason you wouldn’t grant them a swift death is because you are a sadistic asshole.

Probably

Why the homophobia?

t. Chinaman

Because you are such a massive faggot that its repulsive, even over the internet.

Humans are not what is known as a "crustacean". This means they do not have a "central nervous system" like most mammals, fish, and other vertebrates like lizards do. A human has a decentralized nervous system, which means it does not have a "brain". It's ability to "think" is shared by different nerves and neurons located in different locations throughout the body like the brainstem, cortical lobes, limbic structures, and various sensoric neurons throughout its body. You could say its entire body is it's brain.

I'm sorry what

Well not really, because i'd be dead

>goes on rambling when a video proves him completely wrong
sad

In Korea they roast dogs alive
Do dogs feel pain /b/?

>Wallace had a good point
Wallace and similar Darwinists, ruined Darwin

no it doesn't, it has 0 effect on me.
It's just an absurd comic.

We have no other basis to give rights.

we have a comparatively complex moral system today but we often forget that what you said with a tad of hardwired empathy mixed in was the defacto moral compass for pretty much everyone for all of history.

>shellfish are bugs

IMHO, pain comes with instinct to proctect from death or injurie, but who cares of other much as himself ?

I too read that thread on Veeky Forums

Neurons in lobster 100,000
Neurons in a fruit fly 250,000

If you are worried about the feeling of the lobster you have a lot of shit to care about.

It's too stupid of a being to worry about it's emotions or feelings. Welcome to reality. Stop anthropomorphizing everything.

This is my first post in this thread.

I thought I would say that this information you have provided strikes me as bullshit.

C- you tried

umaine.edu/lobsterinstitute/education/life-of-the-american-lobster/anatomy-biology/

It's okay to be stupid. Don't feel bad brainlet.