SAT's

How predictive are these things in terms of academic aptitude and success?

Other urls found in this thread:

arxiv.org/abs/1011.0663
youtube.com/watch?v=SwcK7NI_i98
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

No. Got a 630 on the Math SATs and graduated with honors in Math with a 3.9

What the hell is an SAT?

639 out of what?
3.9 is "GPA" or something, and out of 4??

No. They overprioritize your ability to work in unrealistic time crunches.

tfw took so many duel enrollment classes in high school that I entered college as a transfer and never had to deal with this faggotry

feels good

>duel enrollment
How kids did you dhoot at 10 paces?

kek

I go to Harvard and every I know is both really smart and made good SAT/ACT test scores so I would say near perfect predictor.

>he doesn't know what Google is

arxiv.org/abs/1011.0663

>We analyze 5 years of student records at the University of Oregon to estimate the probability of success in Physics and Mathematics as a function of SAT-M score

>in almost all majors (e.g., English, History, Sociology, Biology, etc.) students with combined (math + reading) scores well below 1000 (i.e., below the average among all SAT-takers) achieved in-major, upper division GPAs in excess of 3.5 and even 4.0.

>However, two majors stood out as qualitatively different from the others. In the cases of Physics and of pure Mathematics, the pattern of upper GPA versus SAT-M showed a sharp threshold: no student below approximately SAT-M = 600 was able to attain the 3.5 upper GPA typically required for admission to a Ph.D. program. A small fraction of students with SAT-M score at or above 600 attained upper GPA > 3.5; it seems plausible that these were the most conscientious and determined of students at this ability level.

Apparently some GPAs are out of 5 and some out of 4
And each section is scored between 200 and 800, so what was the math one out of?

SAT is really just a test of how strict your parents were

what was the hardest math problem on those? setting up a system of equations with 2 variables from a word problem?

it's laughable that the over achiever chinks at ivy league schools think they're "gifted" because they memorized some shit about triangles to get a SAT score

I scored a 1500 when it was out of 2400 and couldn't get into any good universities because of it. It definitely doesn't indicate anything about success though. I consistently scored the highest in my university classes and got 85% percentile on the MCAT and got into med school.

College is out of 4, high school can be out of anything, but 4 and 5 are most common. Each section of SAT is scored 200-800, like you just said, so that also includes the math section.

honestly, i think ACT and SAT is a bunch of bull.

I got 25 on the ACT but am currently doing very *very* well in college (note: a top 15 uni, nationally).

Anecdote time

I had a 35 on the ACT and my parents literally did not care about my schooling at all

It's a step removed IQ test which is a good thing

GPA is nothing but how often you keep your nose to the grindstone

Test scores are IQ, which is all that ends up mattering on average in populations

not very, at least the one I took in 2011
it also doubles as a rather poor IQ test

t. 3.8 GPA at UC Berkeley, pure math and am a junior

I got a 1770/2400. I took an IQ test (wais-iv) in 2013 and got a 132 full-scale score. I don't know how I did so bad on the SAT, then.

what major?

If you're interested in actual predictors of success, long-term membership in a club or sport is a better omen of future success in college and life in general.

136 wechsler
32 act, perfect math , 34 science
reporting in

dropped out of my math/physics program

>1770 sat
>got into Berkeley
Affirmative action nigger detected

Either you're black, lying, or not American. You can't get into a top 15 uni with that score.

This, or he's lying

Affirmative action does not exist at Berkeley. That's why its like 50% Asian.

many of the studies have serious conflicts of interest (many of the them turn into discussions about race or are conducted by collegeboard, and others just have godawful methodologies)
there is a significant correlation obviously, and anything i'd say is purely anecdotal.
that said sat and gpa have the same r =.5 in isolation, correlations break down once you look at high sat/low gpa or other way around outliers

but measuring gpa across several unis and different majors is actually fairly worthless
tldr people who do well on tests do well in a place that makes you take tests

Completely retarded. My SAT proctor didn't even check our calculators for programs.

I got a 720 on math, a 650 on reading, and a 600 on writing. I went to a state school for undergrad, and I go to MIT for grad school.

Another money making garbage test the education system is based on and profits from

The only correlation I found to my SAT was my GRE score, coincidentally ran by the same 'non-profit' conglomerate that owns Collegeboard

GRE is even worse, $205 for a test + 4 scores, then ~$30 to send out more. At least grad programs are starting to it phase out since it's absolutely garbage for indicating success in a grad environment

My SAT score is my only achievement, so no.
Having an R1 range SAT but being denied entry because of my high school GPA was probably the most embarrasing thing that ever happened to me.

define "R1 range"
r1 isn't that competitive of a distinction

>grad programs are starting to it phase out
tell me more
>it's absolutely garbage for indicating success in a grad environment
it's great to filter out obvious failures, that's the purpose

Depends on the program but I've noticed some grad programs are waiving the GRE requirement so it's now optional to submit (same with SAT and undergrad).
That's true, I know a few brainlets who were dissuaded from applying to PhD programs when they got

optional usually means "submit it or we know you suck anyway"

780 math 750 reading. I'm here posting on 4 chan at 12 in the morning so you can surmise yourself whether or not I'm a success.

a success would have got a perfect math, math subject and then rejected anyway for writing autistic essays

3.5 college gpa. Took the test once.

Not good at all. I was a lazy high school student. I got a 1150 out of 1600. That's trash. Gpa was 3.1. Cane to college, decided to work hard. Now I got a 3.75, above 80% on every portion of the GRE, 2 degrees, one in Biochemistry and one in compsci, and I'm going to Harvard for grad school. A high school teacher even once told me I'd be eaten alive in college. The only thing that matters is hard work.

good job
80% on GRE is not good, but grad school harvard is A+++

yup, I'm hispanic.

Not really. You can be a brain dead retard and use Khan Academy or have an SAT tutor to get a perfect or near perfect score and then lose all that information/knowledge next week desu.

1500? Out of 2400? Damn son. Isn't that like well below average, even for the "troubled inner city youth"? And then and 85% on MCAT?

I'm and that's literally the same thing that happened to me. I even had a 3.1 in high school too. We made it.

Calling BS

34 on ACT and can't even get above a 3.0

Fug. I had a 720 math and 700s in the other 2 shits and I have no hopes of grad school, even for engineering

>all these brainlets trying to explain why their low scores are meaningless

just archive it and hide that shit with mirageos. unhiding takes 10 seconds.

pretty good, I got a 1580 and a full ride

Not very because of goodhart's law.
here's a nice video on it.
youtube.com/watch?v=SwcK7NI_i98

>actually estimates his IQ with the SAT instead of with a real IQ test
poor SAT score, 131 on Stanford Binet

i've found the GRE to be much more accurate, desu

The sat is a pretty shit system because the questions are relatively easy and depend more on not misreading questions. I remember going through my answers online later and seeing that missing something like 3 out of 60 questions brought me down to a 720.

Its almost like it tests for reading comprehension

I think it correlates decently, but obviously not perfectly. It used to correlate with IQ pretty well, but when they changed it in the mid 90s that is no longer the case. For instance, the analogies were very important for testing the verbal component of IQ, but they have since been removed from the verbal (now called critical reading) section. I think mathematics remains fairly accurate for quantitative reasoning, but I'm not sure. The SAT also doesn't test spacial awareness, which is an important component of IQ. I know that IQ correlates pretty well with academic success in high school/college/graduate or professional school. For instance, the LSAT, MCAT, and GMAT are all well correlated with both IQ and academic success in law/medical/business school.

In short, I think the SAT does an ok job of predicting academic success, but not great and it used to be better. That said, I believe it's a better indicator than high school gpa.

Not really. The ACT seems to be much closer. The SAT seems to measure either 1) How much sleep you got the night before or 2) How much you practiced for the SAT. Pretty much any 120 IQ moron can get near-perfect scores with enough practice and study.

gre past like 2005 also has no real correlation with iq
all the foreigners taking the gre also destroyed the distribution

>he needs reference information for the sat
looking shit up on will probably kill all the time you have on a standardized test

I got an interview at a PhD program where I didn't submit my GRE scores, that said you definitely want good research and letters to compensate

This is true, I didn't study at all for it like an idiot and I excelled in reading and got fucked by math percentile wise for that reason

EECS or bust feggit

you don't need to study for the math part. it's high school math

>Affirmative action does not exist at Berkeley
here's an idea. don't comment on shit you know nothing about. don't talk about it, don't post. just lurk.

Right but I hadn't interacted with geometry in like 4 years which was really emphasized on my test

what did you even major in?

Bio, I accept I contributed to the stereotype that bio majors can't into math. I did a fair amount of surface area, calc, and stats, but I didn't do anything with triangle theorems

>triangle theorems
lol
thanks for keeping the stereotype alive

I can't help it man I'm fuckin retarded but I'm too far in

Well done, user. That also gives me some hope.

you should study test taking strategies because every point is crucial because of how top heavy the curve is

if you convert it to SAT terms i got the equivalent of 650 reading/800 math
94th percentile in both because foreigners can't speak english

They test how well you do in school. Not how well you'll do in life.

so then the SAT has an even worse correlation, right

my GRE scores lined up with my IQ test pretty well, compared to the SAT

1560 on my SAT, 800 math 760 English

I didn't really study and my grades sucked but I'm doing well in uni so far.

Lol u dumb. I just walked out of my data structures class here and everybody was Asian. I'm also in the eecs honor society and 80% of the people are either Asian or Indian. Maybe in the liberal arts there are not that much Asians, but in the school of engineering, they are an overwhelming majority.

Idk about SAT, but I got a 35 on my ACT and I dropped out, live with my mum, and am a NEET.

>muh real life
it says academic aptitude, faggot. wrong board for your "deep" nonsense

They're garbage just like nearly all forms of grading. That's because testing people's knowledge outside of math and other similarly rigorous fields is pretty much impossible to do objectively.

the SAT only tests your ability to quickly process information.

for example, someone who got a perfect score on the SAT will have to study a lot less for his college classes than someone who scored a lot lower.

however, the ultimate predictor of success is your ability to work hard.

usually, intelligence and work ethic go together, but we all know plenty of lazy geniuses who don't really give a fuck.

I think it's pretty good. Didn't do any studying or prep got a 1490 then 1550 (1600 max). Most people I know who study for the test still only improve by

I never said I did need reference information for the test. I provided evidence for why proctors doing a basic check for programs is essentially useless.

If I get very high SAT scores and perfect A-level grades, can I get into a top 15 US uni as an international student? With at least partial scholarship. This is very important for me, please let me know.