Is it worth it?

Is the hype around Dune justified, or is it just hyperbole?

it is justified hyperbole

Dune is very mediocre.

Some nice desert imagery in spots but that's about all you are going to get out of that one

ITT: Harkonnens.

Dune is like Star Trek, it really clicks for some people and really doesn't for others.

Dune is like an inside out sock you pull from the dryer

First book is great, other books are okay.

why don't you just fucking read it?

would it use up eight months of your life (time to read based on estimate of your intelligence) that you might have otherwise spent playing Mario Fucking Cart?

are you really too busy to read a book, but not too busy to shitpost on Veeky Forums?

> b-but what if i don't like it

then stop reading it, moran.

He didn't ask if it's worth reading you spastic, he's asking for opinions on the hype. This isn't fucking goodreads.

I've only read the first two books, but I must recognize that for me the hype was justified.

I had a friend who sold it to me for years saying it had a great psicological analysis of characters, and I found that indeed. The sci-fi world has some original ideas, and hype the book itself creates, promising cool things in the future, are actually delivered.

The fuck does that even mean?

It really depends. If you just want a SciFi story then you'll most likely find the plot average with some nice prose. However, if you read the book and it touches you in the way it touched me then it then it will be worthy of all the hype in the world. People focus on the ecological dimension of the book in terms of theme, but what touched me so was the commentary it provided on religion. Judaism has only been around a little over 3,000 years. Dune takes place 25,000 years into the future. The setting and the dynamics at play between characters/institutions give us a massive sense of scope. It's a Science Fiction narrative that focuses on Humanity and it's spiritual destiny. It's about the way that faith is a system that leverages the spirit of the masses. I say you should give it a try.

Jeez user, why you gotta be so angry? Did the resident bully take your lunch money again?

And for your info, I'm studying physics, so yeah, I can't spend 8 months reading a giant saga. As for the shitposting, I have some extra time everyday. It's the result of managing it, and have a clear work schedule.

And I also haven't gamed for 3 years now. I miss it, but what can you do.

No I'm not interested purely in the Sci-Fi part, it was all the religious/political undertones that made me wanna check it out. So it's nice to hear that these are the main "driving forces" behind the overarching story.

Thanks to everyone else who also responded. I'll check out the first book, and see what happens from there.

As someone who's not really into hard sci-fi I didn't really enjoy it very much, but if you like detailed world building you'll get more out of this than me.

I am into sci-fi, but it was all the political intrigue that made me wanna check it out. The massive world building you know?

Socks are for your feet silly

Meh.
I read a review recently that called it the most overrated novel of the 20th century and couldn't argue with it

How soon out of the dryer? Is it still warm and cozy?

The only 'hype' is about it being a good sci-fi book, which is like being a particularly tall dwarf. Which is to say... you might well enjoy it if you aren't used to legitimately well-written literature. If you are, I think it'd be a chore, possibly unreadable.

SAVAGE

I've tried reading it multiple times and couldn't get into it. The language and nonsensical names for everything is too ridiculous and distanced from the real world for me.

Wish I could get into it for real, though. My dad loved it but I only got to the failed assasination attempt thing.

Dune is the best sci fi novel I've read, including meme wolfe

>nonsensical names for everything
There is actually very little made-up gibberish in the Dune books. Herbert derives his terms from real (if obscure) sources, usually Arabic.

This.

People have to understand how far in the future Dune takes place. Think about how the name Alexander began in a hellenic society in the balkans and it would eventually go on to be used by tons of people. Same thing for biblical names. By the time Dune takes place, who knows, a descendant of mine may be called "Montgomery Van Saladin" or some shit like that.