For die hard lord of the rings fans

Who the fck is Tom Bombadil?
His true identity is very unclear.
Nerd all over the world, unite and help us

Other urls found in this thread:

km-515.livejournal.com/1042.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

he was a wooden doll he found in a toilet and made his kids believe was a magical and real person.
he later, when creating his allegorical series that he would deny was allegorical at all to avoid conflict (which he hated), decided to include him almost as a self-insert type character in the lotr.

Notice he didnt go invisible when he had the ring?

>Tom Bombadil, a wooden doll who wrote LotR, found himself in a toilet and convinced his children that he was real
>Later, after taking up the pseudonym JRR Tolkien, Tom Bombadil wrote himself into LotR

he was his imagination-man.
it's like a symbolic totem.
creative people are crazy.

>If Bombadil has indeed lived in the Old Forest all this time – in a house less than twenty miles from Buckland – then it stands to reason that he has never appeared to a single hobbit traveller before, and has certainly never rescued one from death. In the 1400 years since the Shire was settled.

>What do we know about Tom Bombadil? He is not what he seems.

km-515.livejournal.com/1042.html

he travelled back from time to troll you all.

I think Bombadil is a kind of escape from all these gloomy, sorrowful creatures, that inhabitate LoTR 'universe.' Furthermore, he loves singing, in fact, he sings all the time. Full of hope and joy, teaches us that merry people will inherit the Earth and enjoy longlasting life.

>tfw when this probably actually how Tolkien would have rationalized it

it's a happy kind of sad.

he is William Blake ascended.

If Bombadil has indeed lived in the Old Forest all this time – in a house less than twenty miles from Buckland – then it stands to reason that he has never appeared to a single hobbit traveller before

that's wrong, it's says in the book hes spoken to the hobbits at Buckland and is friends with farmer maggot

he only mentions that after Frodo does, contradicting a fact he states before.

It's as if he has an adaptive intelligence, fitting in with the force of nature/imagination idea of the character.

A lesser maiyar

Tom B. is JRR in his own universe. He's the oldest being in middle earth (because the story came from the authors mind, Tom is the oldest mind/observer), the ring has no power over him (because he is the authors proxy, and the author created the ring), he is detached from all events of middle earth (loke a distant author) because no known powers or forces are a worry to him (he can over come many types of magic and is immune to everything that tries to harm him, because they are all inferior to his status) obvious hint that he is a surrogate in universe of the author. Even if the forces of light had lost the final battle and taken all of middle earth Tom Bombadil would have with stood them and eventually destroyed the ring himself. Yes he is that powerful, without realizing it.

Harpocrates, the hidden god

He's most likely a Valar. He's just hanging out, enjoying the world and waiting for the end times.

I saw him as a sort of god, or nature spirit. Maybe an incarnation of a god who was aiding the hobbits on their important mission.

>inhabitate
So this is the the power of genre fiction

why didn't tom bombadil take the ring to mount doom? the orcs would have been "we can see that guy, so he doesn't have the ring. we're looking for someone who's invisible."

>were looking for someone who's invisible

Bombadil is anarchy and the ring the will to power.

As to his origin, yes, Ronald wrote him out of a danish doll before i think even the hobbit. Now, what i personally believe is that he was a mair from when Ormal and Illuin were still standing. Maybe from Manwë's people (yea, just cause he wears blue, has the power of the voice...)

At the Council of Elrond,all the Elves knew of him,and he was known to the Dwarves as well,so he's some sort of Valar projection like the Ishtari were. The fact that most of the council wanted to run to him with this little Ring of Doom problem tells us that the power Tom holds is formidable, and Gandalf remarking that it being a little problem to Tom he wouldn't pay it the attention it requires. Only godlike beings see the world as abstractly. Withdrawing into a borderland Tom leeps free of all little problems, until Fate shows up on his doorstep, forcing him to take notice. I wonder if the Barrowdowns were part of this hidden realm,that Frodo reciting the Summoning Rhyme allowed Tom to appear and intervene.

And I wonder what would have happened if Frodo said it on Mount Doom.

The point of Tom Bombadil is that he's a mystery. Tolkien was writing mythology and there are always mysteries and things that can't be explained in myths. I think Tolkien was just getting the reader to appreciate that there's a wider reality beyond Sauron and the ring, which is shown by Tom's total nonchalance about it

>mfw

If I'm going to guess, Tom Bombadil is probably an avatar of Eru Iluvatar.

Tfw this is by far the most interesting thread on Veeky Forums right now

Bump

To show that the world was bigger than the whole one ring conflict