Okay, I will start with the Greeks. Can someone post a flowchart or something?

Okay, I will start with the Greeks. Can someone post a flowchart or something?

Other urls found in this thread:

hup.harvard.edu/features/loeb/timeline.html
sonic.net/~rteeter/grtbloom.html
perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/text?doc=Hes. Th.
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Take this and don't come back

That's cruel, giving him the worst chart.

Bubbi, just start with Homer and then roughly follow this catalogue (not necessarily the actual books they're selling, just the authors).

hup.harvard.edu/features/loeb/timeline.html

Or this:

sonic.net/~rteeter/grtbloom.html

Do you know anything about the greeks to start with? If you do, you can probably jump right to Homer.

If not, stat with a mythology book like Hamilton to get a background.

Then read Hesiod's Theogony because it's short, an original source, and will recap what you just learned but in the moment so to speak.

Then on to the Iliad. The Great Courses companion lectures are good, interesting and helpful, and don't be shy about using a map so you can see where everyone is from.

>hup.harvard.edu/features/loeb/timeline.html
the chart is better. for example reading pseudo-apollodorus' library of legends early makes more sense than waiting until one has read everything until 100AD

hey Veeky Forums help me with "the Greeks"

sure OP!
>Sophists
>early Greek philosophy
>Republic
>NO SOCRATIC DIALOGUES

fuck this chart, fuck you, don't come back. i hope your boat sinks and your car gets hit by a meteor.

The chart is worse because it wastes your time with inane secondary literature that you don't need any of, especially not in the digital age. If we're being generous with what counts as an original source, the chart has about 20. There are many dozens of others that any good reader of classics should tackle from the period the chart covers, and if you use the timeline I posted - roughly, as I said - you will not miss out on any of them. The Apollodorus issue is the only worthwhile feature of the chart that one wouldn't get by following the timeline to a t. Rather than wasting your time and skipping so much, I would simply recommend appropriating that particular element and ignoring the rest of the chart.

>The Last Days of Socrates
>The Republic

I hate that chart, but please read it before you shit on it.

I listed Republic, you big dummy. The Last Days of Socrates is what, Apology? Crito? That's nothing. Please try keeping your autism in check next time.

Those are all Socratic dialogues you silly goose

This chart is shit, here's the best order
>Homer
>anything post Homer

read this then go to the wike for the charts

I recently bought this from Thriftbooks. How essential is this? Also is this the type of book I'd want to read all at once or little by little in between other books?

Don't read it at all. It's Wikipedia with less information and more lists.

Read straight through. It's a good overall primer.

It depends on how much you know about the mythology already.

Greek mythology > poetry > drama > philosophy > history

It's the essence of the thing. Everything of theirs you read will be enriched by your grounding in mythology.

>actually starting with the greeks

Currently reading the Iliad and having fun.

Am i doing something wrong?

Nope, carry on.

The Iliad is a blast. Have you gotten to the part where Diomedes goes on a rampage and wounds TWO gods?

Euthyphro, Apology, Crito, and Phaedo are all Socratic dialogues you scrub. There are obviously more that can and should be read, but you'll have a hard time drawing a line where you should stop reading Plato. There's no easy answer besides "read it all."

I have a relatively decent grasp of Greek mythology, is there a need to read a Mythology book before tucking into Homer do you think?

No, but read this to get started

perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/text?doc=Hes. Th.

It's on the wiki you ultimate faggot