Quantum computers

Are they a meme? Are we still too far away? Are current quantum computers not truley (((quantum)))?

Other urls found in this thread:

arxiv.org/pdf/1801.02602.pdf
smbc-comics.com/comic/the-talk-3
youtube.com/watch?v=v7b4J2INq9c
dwavesys.com/press-releases/d-wave announces d-wave-2000q-quantum-computer-and-first-system-order.
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

no they are not a meme... scientists are just too stupid to make 0 do the same thing as 1

Are the difficulties we are facing mostly in mantaining the qubits?

Nobody on this website has even a shred of the knowledge needed to understand classical computing, let alone quantum computing. the answer is we do not know. simple as that. go look up an EE and condensed matter physics program, see the course topics, find books, read, and you might be able to think of what it means for these computers to be "far away".

I don't really know anything about quantum's, but op is probably a fag.
Also, if transistors are analog, why couldn't we build a non quantum analog computer?
Also, isn't "analog quantum" like, contradictory or something?

Nuh uh ur the fag

No, it's not analog vs digital. They both in obey classical logic.

The main difference between quantum and classical logic is superposition and non-commuting observables, which is something that has no apparent classical analogy.

Asking certain questions like what's the probability of A or B happening can get a different answer then asking what is B or A. The order matters and if A and B are non commuting then they can't exist in a definite state simultaneously. This is really what sets QM apart from any sort of classical theory.

Instead of using a transistor, it takes the spin of the outer electron from a phosphorus ion suspended in silicon. I think. So its sort of quantum, but its just a good way for encryption, idk how it could speed up computation still being 1 and 0 based.

how do you tell the spin of an electron? Especially one that's in an atom? Isn't there like Heisenberg uncertainty?

>Nobody on this website has even a shred of the knowledge needed to understand classical computing, let alone quantum computing
Speak for yourself.

not for stuff like quantum chemistry and simulating quantum systems. That's very important for materials science, making new drugs, biology, making new solar panels, and making new drugs. If we can do that, world will change big time

Apparently, electrons are like little bar magnets. Thats spin, they align with an electric field. Spin down is the natural state and spin up takes some energy ( idk how). Since electrons can be in either state, they have a "super position" (more likely in the down state). Lets take 2 qubits. Its like the classical states of bits, 2 up, 2 down or 1 up and 1 down. Somehow, the states of a phosphorus outer electron can not be determined like the normal bits because of super position. Apparently you need extra numbers(4 to be exact for the 4 possible states) to determine the state of the 2 bits. For 3 atoms, you need 8 numbers. For 4 atoms, you need 16 numbers. Otherwise, you cant determine the states of the qubits. In a fully entangled state, you need 2^n numbers to determine the states of the electrons. Ot work great for encryption. 300 qubits, thats 2^300 numbers you need yo know to determine the normal bits on information in machine language. However, I have no fucking clue how this makes computation faster.

the primary barrier is the production of the quantum computers

>Are they a meme? Are we still too far away? Are current quantum computers not truley (((quantum)))?
Read section 4 of arxiv.org/pdf/1801.02602.pdf

So it encrypts every bit instead of something like a line of code?

they're a meme, just like liquid thorium nuclear reactors, and asteroid mining

bwahahaha. puny humans.

ah, so its just topologic computing?

smbc-comics.com/comic/the-talk-3

youtube.com/watch?v=v7b4J2INq9c

The barrier is mostly maintaing the states of the qubits afaik. But there is some promise in the realm of topological materials.

ok, i understand that qubit as analogous particle can hold more states than just two, but how can we benefit from it?

Actually the real problem is error correction due to the uncertainty principle.

>Somehow, the states of a phosphorus outer electron can not be determined like the normal bits because of super position.
yeah they have to collapse the wave function right?
pairs of electrons always have opposite spin
I know in atomic hydrogen sometimes electrons spontaneously change their spin value and emit radiation with a 21cm wavelength

Don't know what you mean by this

People in this thread don't even understand that we already have quantum computers, and people do calculations via quantum systems as well as these computers. The real problem is size constraints, right now there is open source plans for modular qubits but the size of them if I remember correctly is on the scale of 1foot+ for each qubit. So yes it is completely feasible that we can make one, much like it was in the 60's and 70's when we had massive building sized computers so it could be that we have massive quantum computers.

As for consumer grade the real problems that occur are:
1. The user is too stupid to efficiently operate the device
2. It requires cooling atoms to super low temperatures, so either a large amount of power (lasers) or expensive liquid helium
3. No one really has a use for them on the (average) user end.
4. Even if we were to make them small, easily cooled, make cheaper power, and apply to everyday user needs you still need the infrastructure that comes from a wide developer base, which would take a while to come forth. It's equivalent to when people were writing shit in assembly 25 years ago trying to minimize footprint only this time it will be the learning gap in quantum vs classical systems. (Think cpu vs gpu applications, many know cpu, few learn how to utilize gpu for programming)

tl;dr people are too stupid to use it, or have no use for it, so its not economically viable

Yea that's right. Thats the reason its good for encryption. If you feed the machine wrong values for each qubit, the qubits will spit out a wrong output and as they collapse incorrectly, wipe the memory.

I was under the impression that we already created a 256 qubit chip the size of a "normal" microchip, like spaced less than a mm apart.

If thats the case its news to me. Regardless you still have to cool these devices and most of what I said still applies.

D-Wave 2000Q quantum annealer has 2000 qubits

dwavesys.com/press-releases/d-wave announces d-wave-2000q-quantum-computer-and-first-system-order.

That's not the same.

I figured, I also read that the biggest qubit chip was 50 qubits by intel I think?

quantum supremacy is a meme