IT BEGINS!!!!!!!!!

rochester.edu/newscenter/vamivakas-microcavity-negative-mass-generate-lasers-290202/

Other urls found in this thread:

rochester.edu/newscenter/vamivakas-microcavity-negative-mass-generate-lasers-290202/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Nobel if true

After EM Drive, FTL neutrinos and "Tabby's Star" I'll never believe any "breakthrough" claims again.

Fucking awesome

We've already covered this, they didn't actually make negative mass, they simply made virtual particles that behave like they have negative mass. You've been trolled!

If you were dumb enough to fall for any of that shit you deserve to be mocked, even the initial bewildered reports made VERY clear that Tabby's star was almost certainly a natural phenomenon, and the neutrino thing was also couched in very strong "this is probably nothing but a measurement error, but we're reporting it anyway to be thorough." type qualifications.

I don't know much about the emdrive except that virtually no one in physics takes it seriously. This on the other hand is good research and should be easy to replicate, not like some vague "force" that's just measurement error like with an emdrive.

>negative mass
> behave like they have negative mass

>It's different

>the neutrino thing was also couched in very strong "this is probably nothing but a measurement error, but we're reporting it anyway to be thorough."
Bullshit, they hyped the fuck out of it.

The NEWS MEDIA hyped the fuck out of it.

Nonsense. That's like dismissing an atom for having mass by citing that's it is due to the effects of the interior fundamental particles within it. With the right technology and understanding, this could work to create the kind of material we need for alcubierre drives.

I will believe this latest crock of shit when I see them levitate something with this "negative mass"

Fuck off.

Agreed. Nothing they've found is going to "fall up" or "prop a wormhole open". is dead on.

is satirizing the science gets wildly overhyped by the news cycle..
Of course, it works the other way too. The NYTimes lambasted Robert Goddard for stupidly claiming rockets could work in a vacuum. They didn't issue a retraction until the very day Apollo 11 lifted. :(

>be negative mass object
>thrown into air because whynot.jpg
>[math]m\,\frac{\partial \mathbf v}{\partial t} \,=\, -h\,\mathbf v[/math]
>[math]\left\|\mathbf v\right\|\,=\,A\,\mathrm e^{-\frac hm\,t}[/math] with [math]-\frac hm\,>\,0[/math]
>(((Einstein))) B T F O

Popsci media has no repercussions to distorting science for clickbait, only upside. They should never be trusted.

for example, electron gases can be constrained to behave as if they were 2D
does that mean that truly 2D planes exist in real life? to behave as is not to be

>With the right technology and understanding, this could work to create the kind of material we need for alcubierre drives.
How?

Dreams.

That would be great, all you'd need then is a bunch of undergraduates to fuel the negative matter generator.

>News

call me when there's an actual paper published showing the findings

If it wasn't for SpaceX I wouldn't even bother reading about space travel anymore. Only people doing any serious propulsion research, everything else is /x/-tier even VASIMR

There is nothing wrong with virtual particles. It's basically how hawking radiation works and why black holes will eventually decay into nothing.

So you're just a fanboy and don't really care about the overall progress being done in general, if it's not done by spaceX. isn't there a term for this? A Soyboy, was it?

Seriously /pol/ contrarian, it is possible to have a discussion with you attempting to bait people into pointless arguments.
How about you go and struggle with NoFap instead of shitting up this once enjoyable board?

massif if verified

>gets mocked for being illogical in his pursuits

>proceeds to bring up /pol/ and nofap for no reason

why are you even on this board? you're obviously not intelligent enough to discuss anything related to science or math.

>bring up /pol/

Not op but you know it's true (pic related)

There isn't any other progress. SpaceX has the only viable spaceship design to get us to Mars. VASIMR, SLS, EM Drive, negative mass warp drive are all memes

Nor are you, /pol/ster.
Do note, that I am not , I'm just tired of /pol/ brigade leaking out of their containment centre and thinking everyone else is down with their "soyboy" and "cuck" slag bullshit, we aren't.

>*slag = slang
Though, you ARE a SLAG.

I cropped the wrong part, sorry.

just report it instead of responding you retarded fucking redditor
they feed of responses, and dumbasses like you are happy to give them an endless supply

He means quasiparticle, not virtual particle. It's as "real" as a phonon or an electron hole.

Impossible...
No way...
What?
WHAT?!

>rochester.edu/newscenter/vamivakas-microcavity-negative-mass-generate-lasers-290202/

>It's absorbing itself and pulling itself up by its own bootstraps.

Whelp. I'm out. I am going to a world where shit makes sense...

Please stop shilling your dumb thread. there is no such thing as negative mass

They didn't create a particle with negative mass because excitons and polaritons aren't particles. They are like irregular phonons.

>FYI: phonons aren't particles.

^
>I don't like thing so it's fake
>no I didn't read the thing at all
at least put in some effort on your shitposts
you should be good at them, considering you do it every single day, all day long

>no such thing as negative mass
prove it

EM Drive is proven real though

No it isn't, very small measurements of "thrust" have been witnessed but the scientific communities concensus is that these were measurement errors and not in fact thrust.

Think about energy conservation here. It should take as much energy to hold an negative mass ball in your lab on the surface of earth as it would take to launch a positive mass ball into space

"Consensus"

You know the drill. Back to r/climate, kiddo

the entirety of our research before this point
this new thing is either bullshit, or will throw everything we know on it's head and grant us a fuckton of research opportunities

Finding a negative mass ball in space and dragging it down to Earth would take that much energy.
Holding a negative mass ball in your lab is just a matter of sliding it under a heavy desk.

Bullshit. The initial reports on Tabbys star said that natural explanations were possible but no single explanation was completely consistent with the data.

We still don't have a good natural hypothesis for that star, because even if it's not aliens there's something very strange going on with it. The most recent data suggests a massive cloud of particles so small they would be easily swept away by radiation pressure alone, yet there's enough of them there that we see multiple dimming events on an unprecedented scale. It doesn't pass a smell test.

>balloon rises in the air as though it has negative mass
>therefore the balloon has negative mass

>something very strange going on with it
>We still don't have a good natural hypothesis for that star
Basically code words for aliens, they thought it was aliens and hyped it accordingly. The scientific community is getting desperate and losing the plot.

they hyped it because no matter what the explanation was, it was going to be something new to our understanding of how stars work

....aaaaand it turned out to be a dust cloud.

it's a dust cloud of super-fine particulate matter that's somehow stuck around the star for multiple passes even though that dust should have been blown away by solar wind. that shouldn't happen.

The principal results of this work are summarised below:
- In dimming events of KIC8462 of depths of up to 1.6% and
lasting a few days, we find a clear colour-signature, with the dips
approximately 1.5 - 2 times deeper in the bluer than in the redder
visual bands. The wavelength dependency can be described by
a single number, an Ångström Absorption Coe ffi cient (AAC) of
2.19±0.45.
- This is di ff erent to KIC8462’s flux variations on time-scales
of months to years, which have been reported to display largely
neutral colours in the visual regime. These variations should
therefore be caused by di ff erent absorbers, or arise from di ff erent
processes, than the short events.
- Assuming that the short events are caused by occultations,
their wavelength dependency implies that most of the cross-
section of the occulters must be optically thin, and consist of
particles with sizes in the range 0.0015 – 0.15 µ m.
- Such small particles will not resist blow-out by radiation
pressure. At expected periastron distances of 0.6AU or less, ra-
diation pressure will deviate them on time-scales of days over
distances larger than then radius of the central star. They must
therefore be replenished continually.
- In the 15-20% deep events observed to date only by Ke-
pler, a significant part of their occulting cross section was likely
optically thick. Hence we predict for deeper events a tendency
towards more neutral colour signatures. This tendency may al-
ready be present in the deepest event that was observed by GTC.

Whatever it ends up being, it's still fucking weird.

>he literally didn't read my comment: the post

okay but that's my point, if you can't prove it wrong or right it's still up for debate

Either give me the breakthrough to nuclear fusion power/FTL,

Or give me World War Three.

This nothing happening shit is killing me.

>weird
It's always just dust or rocks.

this one was special though, since it did not even remotely fit with all the other times that it was dust and rocks
those do a couple percent, tabby's star did 20%, so that warranted some additional investigation
don't slap on the media bullshit, nobody but them said it was ayys

Tabby's Star is still not explainable using natural means.

>Negative Mass.

> if you can't prove it wrong or right it's still up for debate
While true it becomes a strictly hypothetical debate because all circumstantial evidence indicates that it doesnt exist

Thid

Tachyons would have Imaginary, not Negative, mass. At superlight velocities, the imaginaries multiply out and leave positive masses. Positive gravitational effects, anyway.

They probably don't exist and, if they did, how would you catch one to use it in a mechanism?

1) it's negative mass in relation to the surrounding material it's in, the sum is still positive
2) this is not the first time we've done this, negative mass quasiparticles have been made years ago
3). Because the total energy is still positive the effect of gravity are still all the same as for positive mass, the only change is in how it responds to an applied force

>Virtual particles
It's called quasiparticles you retard, good job contributing to the misunderstanding ITT.

I really despise condenced matter physicists and their fucking 383838282 (((((quasiparticles)))))

This desu.