Who is the greatest character he ever wrote and why is it Iago?

Who is the greatest character he ever wrote and why is it Iago?

Did you know that Shakespeare died in the arms of Ben Jonson?

i a g o
j e s us
fact

falstaff

It's Hamlet. Or Falstaff. Shakespeare himself seems intimidated by Falstaff, to the point that he spends all of Henry IV Part 2 dismantling him.

no no, it's about
henry's hubris towards the gods, fallstaff is a hermes character. 'it's a 'godisdead' literary first''.

Shakespeare noob here so I might have gotten the wrong impression but why is it that many people seem to find Iago hard to understand? Is it just me or do they interpret him as some sort of complete monster?

this

I think a lot of it is people getting enamored with the start of his deception, where he says "I am not that I am." That's a fantastic line bursting with meanings upon meanings, and Iago gets interpreted in light of it.

>greatest
Well you asked for greatest. If you ask for greatest then it is definitely Falstaff.

Was Henry autistic?

Isn't he a professor of phonetics? To delve into that shit on a nitty-gritty level you probably have to be autistic to some degree.

>anyone but Lear
filth, leave

Brutus.

the hole greatness of hamlet is hamlet's character

That and the integration of comedy and tragedy that Shakey achieved in Hamlet. In Romeo and Juliet, the transitions between comic and tragic scenes are sometimes jarring, but Hamlet's wit is both funny and deeply thought-provoking at the same time.

r9k pls go

Maybe the pleb option but theyre the best:

Falstaff or Hamlet

My fave is Mercutio desu. He has some pretty crispy quotes.

Agree with Iago though. Hamfags need not apply

that clown who disappears halfway in king lear

Mercutio, Enobarbus. Favorite is Richard II. Iago is perhaps the best slightly writ character in any litetature, however.

touchstone

Probably Hamlet or Falstaff.